Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Cingular Motorola V400 in Europe

saiguanas

Aug 19, 2004, 10:24 AM
I have got a different answer everytime I talk with some one from Cingular (store, customer service, internet)so I need some real practical help. I recently purchased a motorola v400 from a1wireless.com and it arrived already activated with Cingular. I know (or was told) that I can use it in Europe and be on international roaming. I believe the guy on the phone said that he was activating that feature. No problem, I understand that. I also know (or think) that Int'l roaming would be much more expensive than if I purchased a sim card from a European company and used it with a European phone #. Has anyone taken their v400 (straight out of the box)to Europe (specifically Spain) and tried this? I have heard that the v400 comes unlocked but when ...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Aug 20, 2004, 5:33 PM
The V400 is a world band phone supporting all 4 GSM bands. Normally Cingular requires 6 months of service with no interruptions of service before they activate international roaming. Prepaid SIMs are used often with worldphones, and are usually a cheaper alternative if all you need is calling capability. I have heard of data issues because data tends to differ from carrier to carrier.

V400's out of the box have the GSM Selection set to automatic, which means the phone will automatically choose between 850/1900 (US) and 900/1800 (international) GSM bands.

Hope this helps!
saiguanas

Aug 22, 2004, 12:36 AM
well they told me they were going to "put in" to have the internationar roaming turned on. Now...if international roaming is not on can I still use a prepaid sim in another country or a regular sim for that matter?
dadyassa

Aug 31, 2004, 7:53 AM
Yes cos the roaming is for your regular sim only, if you want to use it,you will need it on
Rich Brome

Aug 26, 2004, 10:32 AM
saiguanas said:
...I have heard that the v400 comes unlocked...

If the phone is unlocked, then yes, you can put a European SIM in and you'll be set with that European account and phone number.

Once you do that, Cingular has nothing to do with it, so anything to do with your Cingular account is irrelevant at that point.

The only way to verify that your phone is unlocked is to try it with a SIM from another carrier. If you have a friend with an AT&T or T-Mobile GSM phone, try their SIM in your V400. If it works and you can make a test call, then your phone is unlocked and you should have no problems with the European SIM.

...but when I select "sim applications" (which I don't know what it
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.