Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

In search of the right mobile phone!

spaceman91

Jul 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hello,

I am an American university student and will be studying abroad in Denmark for the fall. This will include weekend travel all around Europe.

I am realizing how hard it is to find a phone that has the features I need, even after using the search tools on phonescoop, so I figured I would ask if anyone has any relevant knowledge.

I am looking for a phone that I can buy a Danish simcard to use it with, and pay for minutes/texts/internet as I go. Also, I want a phone that will work back here in the US with a pay-as-you-go provider, for example Virgin Mobile.

Needed:
-QWERTY keyboard
-headset jack
-texting
-internet (at least enough to email/facebook and book flights/hostels on the go)
-Decent battery life (I am willing t...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jul 27, 2012, 6:52 PM
Does the prepaid option need to be Virgin? That could be a problem.

Virgin's network and phones use Sprint's CDMA network, which means no SIM cards, and it's completely incompatible with the GSM networks used in Europe. It's the same with Boost, MetroPCS and Cricket; they use CDMA as well.

If you're okay using a GSM prepaid option - like the prepaid options from T-Mobile or AT&T - then you can do what you're asking, otherwise, you won't be able to use the same phone in both the US (prepaid) and Europe.

Mobile hotspot pretty much means a smartphone. Unless you want to splurge on an iPhone (and probably go "rogue" with unauthorized unlocking tools, else pay even more) you'e probably talking about an Android phone.

Most Android phon...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.