Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 10 replies

frequency ?

physco1110

Jan 31, 2005, 2:18 AM
was wondering if anyone knew what the frequency bandwidth is in the Bay Area, CA? thanx
Rich Brome

Jan 31, 2005, 6:55 PM
The entire U.S. has the same two frequency bands nationwide for most mobile phones. The lower one is 800/850 MHz, known as cellular, and the upper one is 1900 MHz, known as PCS.

Now, which carrier operates in which band does vary by city... did you have a particular company or technology (CDMA or GSM) in mind?
physco1110

Feb 1, 2005, 12:13 AM
hi thank you for your reply 🙂 and yes my question was which carrier operates in which band in the bay area. the company i had in mind were cingular and at&t (GSM) thanx again !
physco1110

Feb 1, 2005, 12:21 AM
hi im sorry i had another question 😕 if i buy a gsm phone from say europe and i use it with cingular or att will i still be able to use the internet, texting, and dl ringtones? or only be able to make phone calls. thanx again =)
Rich Brome

Feb 1, 2005, 11:28 AM
You need to make sure the phone you buy is "unlocked". If it is, then yes, you should be able to use all of those features.

Voice and SMS should work right out of the box.

Internet and MMS will require some work, though. You need to program in all the correct settings. You can usually do a Google search and find the right settings pretty easily, though.
donvito

Feb 2, 2005, 11:35 PM
factory unlocked is better but costs more
i sell european unlocked phones and they work fine
some of my phones are factory unlocked too
KevDoggX

Feb 12, 2005, 3:19 PM
Probably won't be able to use a European phone her in the states as they are on a different Freq, even if they are GSM providers. That's why many manufacturers are offering "World Phones" or Quad band phones. Typically 800, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz only two freqs are used here in the US and the other two are available in most GSM countries abroad.
Rich Brome

Feb 1, 2005, 11:25 AM
Before the merger, Cingular operated in the 1900 band in San Fran. The former AT&T Wireless (now Cingular Blue) operated in both bands - Cellular block A and PCS blocks A & D.

So now that those companies have merged and are now just Cingular, the answer is both bands - 800(850) and 1900. You'll need a phone with both GSM 850 and 1900 to get full coverage.
physco1110

Feb 1, 2005, 6:24 PM
thank you so much again!! this is the kind of site i was looking for hehe because i was really interested in getting phones from europe, but didnt know it was possible till i read this well explained website =) thanks
SChatani

Feb 3, 2005, 1:20 AM
by "youll need a phone to get "full" coverage" wut do you mean? how bad is non full coverage?
Rich Brome

Feb 3, 2005, 2:14 AM
For the SF bay area?

I have no idea. But it doesn't matter.

Cingular only sells phones with both bands, and they expect you to have such a phone. Even if 1900-only coverage happens to be great today, they could easily shut all of it off a year from now, moving all GSM to the 850 band to make way for WCDMA at 1900.

Or the other way around... but the point is that you pretty much need both bands with Cingular.

If you have a 1900-only phone, you are most likely not getting full coverage (especially if you travel outside your state - or even your county - at all) and your coverage could change or disappear at any moment.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.