Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 6 replies

One Number Around the World?

amosjones

Dec 23, 2004, 9:13 AM
Is it Possible to have a single phone number that is usable around the world?

no matter what country or contenent you are on?
zjc2a

Dec 24, 2004, 8:26 PM
Yes. I have been through Europe and I just take my phone and it uses my phone number. You have to dail the country code and then area code you have (+1615) when you are in other countries. But people calling me from the US just dail my number.
Hope this is the answer you are looking for.
-Z
jas259871

Dec 31, 2004, 10:01 PM
yes you will just pay international roaming Cingular work aroung the world in most contries with your phone number
Rich Brome

Dec 29, 2004, 11:41 AM
Yes. Most GSM "world phones" can do just that.

And Verizon now offers a CDMA + GSM world phone that can do that, and Sprint will offer such a phone within a few months.

One major coverage exception is Japan, since they don't have GSM networks, but if you are based in Japan and/or don't mind a Japanese phone number, you can now get a WCDMA/GSM phone that will work worldwide including Japan.
terryjohnson16

Dec 29, 2004, 2:40 PM
😁 Do you have to pay extra with Verizon for using the GSM part of the phone? Does Verizon offer SIM cards since they sell the CDMA/GSM phone? Or, if you have that phone with Verizon and put a T-Mobile SIM card in it, does that mean that you have 2 different service providers on one phone, or verizon won't let you do that?
Rich Brome

Dec 29, 2004, 2:48 PM
terryjohnson16 said:
😁 Do you have to pay extra with Verizon for using the GSM part of the phone?

There are international roaming charges, which can be steep, but that's true even with regular GSM phones.

Does Verizon offer SIM cards since they sell the CDMA/GSM phone?

AFAIK, they only offer SIM cards with A790, not separately. I could be wrong, though, since I know Sprint offers SIM cards for overseas use.

Keep in mind, though, that any SIM card from Verizon or Sprint can only be used on overseas GSM network. Verizon and Sprint do not have GSM roaming agreements with any domestic carriers, and that kind of thing is programmed into the SIM.

Or, if you have that
(continues)
terryjohnson16

Dec 29, 2004, 2:59 PM
😁 Thanks! Its always cool to learn something about the wireless world.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.