Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Maybe 1.3MP cameras are better than 2MP for mobiles ?

clyde1

Jan 20, 2007, 7:49 AM
My understanding is that for a given size of image sensor inside the camera, having fewer pixels gives you better light sensitivity, and of course lower resolution.

Most camera phones probably have very small image sensors (compared to a decent digital camera).

My experience so far has been that the resolution on VGA cameras just isn't good enough. But I've had decent satisfaction with 1.3MP. We just got our first 2MP mobile, the Samsung M610.

It seems like the M610 has to set the shutter speed so slow (to let enough light in) that the pictures are very often blurry, especially if the subject is moving whatsoever or if you don't have a steady hand. Bright light certainly helps.

I'm thinking that with today's technology, ...
(continues)
krickt

Jan 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
I'm thinking it's a Samsung thing. The Nokia 2mp camera that we sell is fabulous. Quick shutter, and not as much lag as a Moto and defintely quicker than our Samsung VGA camera phone. I think it has more to do with the manufacturer.
dave73

Jan 20, 2007, 3:33 PM
krickt said:
I'm thinking it's a Samsung thing. The Nokia 2mp camera that we sell is fabulous. Quick shutter, and not as much lag as a Moto and defintely quicker than our Samsung VGA camera phone. I think it has more to do with the manufacturer.

I have a Samsung, the Samsung SCH-a930 and the camera is Sh*tty. I've never tried other cameraphones, but my particular cameraphone doesn't take pictures worth of s**t. That's why for now, I'll never rely on my phone for a camera.
krickt

Jan 20, 2007, 3:51 PM
Me, neither, but the Nokia 6265 has the best camera I've seen on a phone. Its just a gimmick as far as I'm concerned, but it's a nice one!
Jayshmay

Apr 13, 2007, 12:07 PM
There needs to be MORE auto-focus cameraphones!!!!! It really makes a big difference compared to the stupid pin-hole lenses found on most cameraphones.

I have the Sharp V903 it's a European handset, but I use it on Cingular's network, and it has a 3.2mp auto-focus lens, I am very, very happy with this cameraphone.

There really, really needs to be MORE auto-focus camera phones!!!
cmbi855

Mar 26, 2007, 4:57 PM
look every one.I think I know the problem.it's not just always about the cam,it's the screen.
pics are actually better on a bigger screen.I have a motorola i860 and it uses VGA,pics are actualy decent on this phone becuase the 176 by 220 display.if you email one of your pics 2 a computer and open it up,you should see a picture that looks like it was seen through someones eye.the nokia mentioned earlier has a larger screen than the a930,basicly meaning that the phone needs a bigger screen for 2 mega pixels,or try taking pictures on low resolution settings.
I think it should work. 🙂
clyde1

Jan 20, 2007, 5:35 PM
You're probably right, guess it's a Samsung thing. Was it this way on the A900 too (the other phone we were considering)?

I have 26 more days to select a different phone from Sprint. The camera is only Part of the decision, but it does matter to us (cause sometimes the camera that's with you is the camera that counts).

I'm going to have a tough time choosing. Might consider the M1, even though bulkier.

The other things I don't like about the M610 by the way are the sound quality (cheezy sounding, probably due to the limitations of the thin case), and it seems to be finicky about reading the 1GB brand new sandisk microSD. Worked for a while, then it wouldn't, even though it still reads fine on the desktop.

Also, it takes a cus...
(continues)
clyde1

Jan 20, 2007, 5:41 PM
Sorry for getting off topic, but as I pick out the replacement for the M610, I forgot to ask:

Are some phones better than others if we ever needed one-time emergency access to the internet through the phone, without the Phone-as-modem plan, and preferably using bluetooth to connect? We have one phone on the old Vision plan, and one phone on the Power Vision plan. I have no intention of abusing anything like this, just want to know what emergency options there are. But I guess really, if it was urgent, I could just call Sprint when it happens and buy the Phone-as-modem plan for just one month, if Sprint allows that.
Rich Brome

Apr 28, 2007, 3:53 PM
While there is some truth to the megapixel difference you noted, that's a relatively small issue compared to other factors that affect quality, including that fact that some camera modules are simply better than others. The quality of camera modules in phones varies WILDLY.

A much larger factor is the lens quality, and especially whether the lens is auto-focus. That can make a huge difference.

For example, the new Nokia N95 has a 5 megapixel sensor with an auto-focus lens, and from all reports, it takes the best photos of any camera phone to date.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.