Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 22 replies

any phones out there that can...

jshawger

May 7, 2006, 10:01 PM
Can phones have software added?

I'd like a phone with OUTLOOK (will that have the calendar part of outlook on it and will it set off an alarm to remind at that time?)

and MONEY (so I can use it like a check register at the cash register).

I'd like a half-way decent CAMERA on it, too (What would be a good mp size? I keep missing great shots of my kids b/c I don't have my camera, but I always have my phone).

I'm a nextel customer, but am willing to change companies to get the phone that does these things--I really do not use my phone much (less than 200 minutes a month). But with the other features, it would make it more valuable to me.

Thanks for any suggestions on phones and explanations of how things work you can offer.
TechGuy01

May 8, 2006, 11:52 AM
You want a blackberry, samsung sch-i830, or Palm Treo 700w but only the palm comes with a camera that I am aware of. As far as good resolution goes for a camera on a phone a lot of them are starting to have 2mp, I would not use anything smaller than 1.2 mp myself. you can get a decent 8x10 out of that before it gets to pixelated. hope this helps. 😎
jshawger

May 8, 2006, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the input. Will these come with pocket money or can I add it?
Wireless Consultant

May 9, 2006, 11:16 AM
Check out this web site for some software.

www.mobihand.com

www.WirelessConsultant.net
TechGuy01

May 12, 2006, 3:25 PM
I think you can get something similar to that on most of them it may be carrier dependant too. I would check a few local companies and make sure what all apps are available. 😎
jshawger

May 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
I just found microsofts site and it says I can download pocket money for free... once I get my phone I'll have to figure out how that works.
Vox Dei

May 12, 2006, 6:21 PM
Pocket money you can get for anything runing pocket PC quite easly at www.pocketpc.com
Rich Brome

May 8, 2006, 9:33 PM
What you're looking for is a smartphone.

Since you mentioned Outlook specifically, you'd probably be best with a Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone, since they come with Outlook Mobile. There is tons of third-party software available for Windows Mobile, including money-mangement software.

You can stay with Nexel and get the Motorola i930, although the camera is only VGA, so it's not that great.

Other options would require you to switch carriers. Cingular has the 2125, and T-mobile has the very similar SDA:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder_results.php ... »

The Motorola Q is also coming to Verizon later this month:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=856 »

There are also more a...
(continues)
jshawger

May 9, 2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. T-mobile looks like they have the best prices. I'd need to check around to see if their service in my area is any good.

When you get a data plan with a voice plan, so the minutes you are on the internet for example count against your voice minutes?
Rich Brome

May 9, 2006, 8:46 PM
...When you get a data plan with a voice plan, so the minutes you are on the internet for example count against your voice minutes?

No, with most carriers that's what happens when you don't get a data plan. Or it might be by amount of data instead of minutes, but same idea.

If you get a data plan, it will include a certain amount of transfer, or unlimited data with many plans.
jshawger

May 9, 2006, 9:02 PM
thanks for the info. Nextel's rep claimed that the i930 doesn't have a camera (which their specs say it does) and that I cannot add 3rd party software to it.

I guess to get the phone I want, I'll be changing companies. Most my family has cingular with the free mobile to mobile, so that will be good.

I'm looking at the 8125 and 2125 (that you suggested), but I'm having trouble discerning the difference between the two--besides the pull out key board and higher price of the 8125. My laptop is wireless, can I sync my outlook version with outlook on the phone wirelessly? Can I transfer word files from the phone to my laptop either wired or wireless?

I like all the bells and whistles, but really what I want is alarms on the phone...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 9, 2006, 9:06 PM
... Nextel's rep claimed that the i930 doesn't have a camera ...

He/she must have been thinking of the i920. The i920 and i930 are the same exact phone, except the i930 has a camera and the i920 does not.

... and that I cannot add 3rd party software to it. ...

Wow, really? That person should be fired. Not to be too harsh, but that's kind of the whole point of a phone like the i930 - that you can add all kinds of third-party software to it!
Atavist Arise

May 9, 2006, 9:07 PM
the 2125 will do all opf that. the difference between the 8 and the 2 is the keyboard, touch screen, and wi-fi, which the 2125 has, cingy just removed it. from their version, yet the phone is still capable of it, just no way to turn the radio on.

and if your laptop is BT capable, then yes, you can do it wirelessly, if not, the phone comes with all of the necessary cables.
jshawger

May 9, 2006, 9:16 PM
Okay, thanks, that's good to know. I can't tell if the 8125 comes with the microsofts mobile office applications. the 2125 says it does. If it doesn't, I can add it right? But there goes my price again...
Atavist Arise

May 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
it deffinitely does.
jshawger

May 10, 2006, 2:55 PM
Atavist- just wanted to clarify that you were saying the 8125 definitely comes with pocket office (word, excel, outlook).
Atavist Arise

May 10, 2006, 8:34 PM
indeed it does.
jshawger

May 10, 2006, 9:15 PM
Thanks for the info. If I purchase this from Cingular, what will I not be able to do if it is locked?

That is a new term for me. WiFi also is. I noticed that a local pizza joint near my home had "WiFi Hotspot" on their sign. If I don't have a data plan, can I browse the net if I am in their establishment? Not sure how that works...
Atavist Arise

May 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
you can assuming your phone/laptop/other device has wi-fi built into it.

and you don't need a data plan to browse using wi-fi.

basically wi-fi is a frequency (802.11G in most cases) that enables wireless data transfer.

hotspots are one way, another is to install a wireless router on your cable/dsl modem setup for your home computer.

hotspots are usually not free, but a few are. starbucks' hotspots for example are run by t-mobile, and cost 20 dollars a month for access.
TechGuy01

May 12, 2006, 3:28 PM
Yeah most of them you go to you will have to pay for. i know almost every applebees I ahve been too you can request to use their WiFi and they give you an access code good for 1 hour. 😎
jshawger

May 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
thanks for the info. so will you know before you log onto a wi-fi that it's a toll site? do you have to have an account or it will prevent you from logging on?

I have a wireless router for my laptop from roadrunner in my home, so would I just have to configure my phone to access it? Thanks again.
Atavist Arise

May 14, 2006, 7:44 PM
you're right on all points.

and no, your phone won't automatically access it and start charging you, it asks first.
rockprc

May 29, 2006, 1:02 PM
Before you dive in too much into Cingular 8125, You should look at T-mo MDA which is the same as 8125, both are branded HTC Wizard model. T-mo has better pricing for the phone and phone plans.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.