Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Switching from Verizon to Nextel.

Rottie25

Jun 1, 2004, 10:51 PM
Can someone tell me who had Verizon as a carrier, if Nextel service is as good as Verizon. Would it be worth switching? I am in the New York City area.
VZWCustServ

Jun 2, 2004, 4:38 AM
If you never go out of the city and you need the direct connect(walkie talkie) Nextel may be for you, if you ever travel to remote areas away from cities or away from interstates then stick with VZW. Gimme a detailed description of how you plan to use the phone and I can give a more exact answer. I have Verizon b/c I travel frequently up and down the east coast. I haven't seen my roam indicator yet.
towermonkey

Jun 2, 2004, 10:07 AM
VZWCustServ said:
I have Verizon b/c I travel frequently up and down the east coast. I haven't seen my roam indicator yet.

Gotta love all those old NYNEX/Bell Atlantic Mobile towers 🙂

Basically, what he said is correct. NEXTEL is decent in large metro areas, but if you go into the boonies at all, the signal drops to zero. No roaming, because only NEXTEL & Southern LINC use iDEN. Verizon is better in fringe areas.

The Nokia 3589i is a blowtorch. Much better than the Kyocera KX414.
tolnep

Jun 11, 2004, 4:55 PM
I have cingular, nextel and verizon. nextel for constuction biz, cingular becuase i've had it forever (gonna change soon) and verizon for 1xrtt laptop connection.

I cant live without nextel because all subs have nextel and if you wanna communicate with them you have to have it. i like the walkie talkie thing a bunch and wish all carriers had it.

i would not have nextel except for this reason. works great until you get out of the city or away from the interstate.. then no service, no roaming.

verizon seems to be the best coverage wise. once verizon comes out with a phone i like im probably gonna switch from cingular to verizon for regular roaming type service.

what i cant understand is why verizon wont give the walkie talkie thi...
(continues)
GWFOX

Jun 12, 2004, 9:16 AM
Ahh good ole Push to Talk (PTT).

Ever notice your Nextel PTT feature works where often your Nextel regular voice calls don't?

VZW can't give it away cause the PTT uses a different system than our regular voice call system. Same as with Nextel.

Nextel is hands down the BEST PTT out of all the carriers. VZW spent way too much money to develop their own. They have to cover their costs. Our VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) for our PTT isn't cheap. At $59.99 for a starting plan.. yeesh. Also our PTT only works in certain areas (from what I understand) of the VZW coverage.

In other words no one can compete with Nextel with their PTT system. Yet what keeps them from being HUGE is the giant lack of voice call service.

Also the PTT ...
(continues)
towermonkey

Jun 12, 2004, 10:04 AM
GWFOX said:
Ahh good ole Push to Talk (PTT).

Ever notice your Nextel PTT feature works where often your Nextel regular voice calls don't?

VZW can't give it away cause the PTT uses a different system than our regular voice call system. Same as with Nextel.

Nextel is hands down the BEST PTT out of all the carriers. VZW spent way too much money to develop their own. They have to cover their costs. Our VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) for our PTT isn't cheap. At $59.99 for a starting plan.. yeesh. Also our PTT only works in certain areas (from what I understand) of the VZW coverage.

In other words no one can compete with Nextel with their PTT system. Yet what keeps them from being HUGE is the giant lack of voic
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.