Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Verizon and what will become

aviduzer

May 15, 2004, 11:41 AM
WILL VZW ever buy Sprint? Or Nextel?...what are the probabilities that would happen?
simplymarcus

May 16, 2004, 9:24 AM
aviduzer said:
WILL VZW ever buy Sprint? Or Nextel?...what are the probabilities that would happen?

VZw will probly nuy Sprint. I think if VZW does not buy Sprint then nextel will buy sprint. But I think it would make more since for VZW to buy Sprint. Since both companies are CDMA and Sprint has been losing money for years. VZW does not want nextel just wants their ARPU customers.
jhmlbrgr

May 17, 2004, 7:11 AM
IMO no one will buy Sprint because they are one combined company, cellular (PCS) and long distance. No one wants Sprints long distance portion because it is not a profitable business. But in order to buy the company one would have to buy both businesses. The next thing I think will happen in VZW buying Nextel.
aviduzer

May 17, 2004, 8:16 AM
What's your take on this? Do you think Verizon will buy out any major carriers? Sprint? Nextel?
Rich Brome

May 18, 2004, 12:38 PM
I think something is likely to happen between two of those three companies. I just don't know which two. I wouldn't rule out any combination within that group.
independent

May 18, 2004, 7:30 PM
Just to still up rumors, and the like.

Telus in Canada is a CDMA carrier with an iDen network.

Verizon is Telus's Roaming partner.

I believe that Telus is trying to roll out nationwide DirectConnect with NexTel as a roaming partner.

It seems that if Verizon and NexTel merged, it would be following the Telus technology plan, and using the same roaming partner.

-independent
Azeron

May 23, 2004, 12:57 PM
I hope neither happens honestly. It's not completely beyond the realm of possibility that Verizon could gobble up Sprint or Nextel. Yes, Sprint recently combined it's Wireless and Long Distance stock to make grabbing it's wireless division more difficult and less attractive but if anyone could absorb an unattractive takeover Verizon could. Also, Verizon has been able to takeover smaller TDMA carriers and convert them to CDMA in the past. Nextel would be a larger morsel to swallow but it is certainlt doable. Bottom line I don't think it would be good for consumers or workers at the Carriers involved if such acquisitions took place. I think the competition in the marketplace is as it should be and was disappointed to see Cingular win...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.