Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 32 replies

Nextel + Nokia?

cellNoob

Aug 22, 2005, 5:21 PM
Hi All,

I'm new on the board, and was trying to do some research on whether it was possible to use a Nokia phone with Nextel service? I'm with cingular right now and the only reason i'm sticking with them is because you can go with just about any phone, although my reception is terrible wherever i really need it (most notably at home and in my cube). but now i'm seeing that nokia phones are coming with ptt technology as well. I can't stand motorola phones or flip-phones in general.

If anyone could shed some light on this topic for me, it'd be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

😁 😁 😁
nextel18

Aug 22, 2005, 5:35 PM
it is possible, but not until qchat will be placed in a nokia phone. (qchat is a push to talk solution that nextel has exclusive rights to)

until then, they wont.

i dont like nokia though. i like the other phones better.
cellNoob

Aug 22, 2005, 5:54 PM
hehe.. everyone has their own preference. 😁

in any case, thank you very much for the fyi. This is exactly the info i was looking for. thanks again!
nextel18

Aug 22, 2005, 6:20 PM
my pleasure. 🙂

i just think nokias are junk, but you are right that is just my opinion and everyone has their own opinions.

you are welcome. 🙂

why do you like nokias over others?
AshDizzle

Aug 22, 2005, 9:51 PM
Motorola invented the iDEN network, and Motorola has exclusive rights to the phones Nextel carries.

Nokia is the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world, second to none. I am fairly sure a company doesn't get the high by making "junk" phones. Don't confuse simplicity with junk.
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 5:01 AM
i think nokia does have some cheap phones out there and that it is junk filled with simple stuff in there. i would chose motorola over them.

by the way just becuase motorola has exclusive rights doesnt mean no one else can do it. if qchat becomes avaialble, which it will be, they can put that solution in nokia phones or anyone else for that matter.
timslo

Aug 23, 2005, 7:25 PM
My question is why people tend to have to always warranty exchange Motos than any other manufacturer? There's always a screen issue or earpiece issue. That has been my experience selling Cingular in Texas. The other most returned product for me has been LG. The LG 1400i has been a great phone though.

My issue with Nokia is that they either have something really cheap that's usually free, (ex. 6010, 3595, etc.), but will have a feature packed phone for like two hundred dollars (ex. 6230, 6620, etc.) Oh, and they'll offer a horrible midrange phone (ex. 3200, 3220, etc.)

Personally, I like Samsung and Sony Ericsson. Especially the s710, but they need to hurry and release more phones.
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 7:42 PM
i am not sure why that happens, but it happens with all manufacturers not just motorola.

i just think nokia is very cheap and it seems like they dont care about releasing quality phones especially in the united states market. perhaps they know that motorola dominates this market with a 34 percent market share against nokia who has a 17 percent market share as of quarter 2 of 2005.

i hope that changes or motorola might pass nokia in number 1 global market share, especially since motorola has been bringing out very good phones lately and will continue to do so in the future.
AshDizzle

Aug 24, 2005, 4:25 PM
I would choose Motorola over Nokia as well, but I will certainly not go as far as to say they are junk.

Motorola's have treated me well in the past, I've had about 4 of them. Any problems they have had I have always been able to fix, even the earpiece going out on my v600. The only thing I probably would not be able to fix would be the screen... but if it went out I would learn how 😁

I believe Motorola will surpass Nokia in 2006, especially with their new 3G market. The V540 will be a nice addition for mid-range phones, the PEBL for style, and the V3x for power.
nextel18

Aug 24, 2005, 9:57 PM
yea well maybe junk is a bad word to use, but i have tried nokia's phones on the cingular and att wireless' network and compared it with motorola on the nextel network and the quality of motorola is far better then those on the cingular network using nokia phones.

you mean surpass in global market share in 06, becuase they already own them in the united states market as well as other markets?
disturbed1

Aug 26, 2005, 3:17 PM
Junk IS a bad word to use in this case. I'm not a Nokia fan either, in fact I don't find anything intuitive about thier OS's. But they almost always get great RF performance numbers.

i have tried nokia's phones on the cingular and att wireless' network and compared it with motorola on the nextel network and the quality of motorola is far better then those on the cingular network using nokia phones.

This is comparing apples and oranges. You simply can't judge quality of two manufacturers by testing them on two different networks. If you were to, say, compare Moto's phones on Cingular with Nokia's phones on Cingular, then it would be a valid argument. But until Nokia releases an iDEN phone (never since it's...
(continues)
nextel18

Aug 26, 2005, 6:35 PM
yea, that is true. junk is a bad word, i agree.

yea, i agree. 🙂
ORDinBNA

Sep 13, 2005, 10:13 AM
On the ATTWS/Congular networks I think Moto and Nokia are lacking greatly.

It seems that the iDEN phones are built much better and that may be because they are used highly in the construction industry. I know that in the area of the US that I came from Nextel is the standard for anything to do with constuction because of the PTT function.

Phones for any of the other carriers Cingular, Verizon, Sprint, all seem to be cheaply made and contain many software problems. THe V600 was the first of the Moto's that I felt comfortable with. I haven't had a good phone since my old Nokia 6120. I am currently waiting for my third replacement of my V551 and the T720 that I had prior to that was "Junk". Cheaply made and had more restarts than eve...
(continues)
nextel18

Sep 15, 2005, 4:28 AM
i agree. 🙂

you make tons of sense.
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 5:13 AM
nokia is terrible in the united states though.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/13823.php »

Motorola Tops US Market Share Q2'05

Motorola, at 34% share in North America, nearly doubles Nokia's 17% share position in Q2 2005.
Rich Brome

Aug 22, 2005, 10:50 PM
With current Nextel service? No.

Nextel uses iDEN, which was invented by Motorola. Motorola has an exclusive deal for handsets (there's an exception for Blackberry, but that's it, and even that is in cooperation with Motorola.)

In 2-3 years, when Nextel is more tightly integrated with Sprint, then you may still see some Nokia phones for Sprint. But it's hard to say if Nokia will want to make phone for the new CDMA-based PTT technology that will eventually replace iDEN.

That's because that PTT technology is expected to be QChat. While Nextel had exclusive U.S. rights to QChat, Qualcomm still owns it, and AFAIK it requires Qualcomm chipsets. Nokia tries their best to avoid anything Qualcomm, so there's no guarantee Nokia will be willi...
(continues)
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 5:02 AM
but there is a possibility though, but i dont think they will use nokia becuase i think nokia offers cheap, and junk phones with alright functions.

oh well.

as usual great job. 🙂
cellNoob

Aug 23, 2005, 1:36 PM
😲 😳 😢

wow, thanks for that reply. hopefully there will be some cooperative efforts going on someday.

but can you use a nokia phone with nextel if you factor out the whole PTT technology piece of it? I don't know anybody on nextel's service except my cousin's bf, and so i doubt i will use this feature at all...
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 1:39 PM
i dont think so.
Rich Brome

Aug 23, 2005, 1:44 PM
There's no such thing as "factoring out" the PTT part of it with Nextel. Nextel uses iDEN, which is basically a PTT technology made to work like a cell phone. PTT has always been a core part of Nextel's offering.

But even pretending Nextel would accept a non-PTT phone, (which they generally wouldn't,) Nokia doesn't make iDEN phones, and it's safe to say that they never will.

Any hope of a Nokia phone "for Nextel" would have to be a CDMA phone for Sprint with next-generation PTT. But that would really be more of a Sprint phone than a "Nextel phone" since it would be CDMA, and they'll probably be phasing out the Nextel brand by then.
stevelvl

Aug 23, 2005, 5:08 PM
i would be willing to wager a fair amount that you will never ever see nokia PTT phones with eather sprint or nextel for several reasons

1. nokia will only use nokia chipsets. these are no where near the reliability of the moto iden or qualicom

2. qualicom owns exclusive rights to qchat

3. sprint and nokia are not on good grounds right now. sprint does not lik nokia.

4. sprint only offeres ptt phones with manufacturers that will work with sprint for development pourpuses. sanyo does this the most, that is why they have all the ready link phones, and samsung does it too but just not as much. this is also why there is no lg, or audiovox ptt phones

5. nokia phones are the least user friendly! they suck!
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 5:20 PM
"2. qualicom owns exclusive rights to qchat "

just becuase qualcomm owns the rights to qchat, doesnt mean others cant use it. (by the way nextel does qualcomm made it) anyway, they can just charge royalties for it.
DAW

Aug 24, 2005, 9:07 PM
Nextel uses Qchat?
Hardly, Motorola began work on MIRS (iDEN) back in late 1980's which was before Qualcomm could even spell Qchat.

No phone other than a Motorola iDEN will ever get on the NEXTEL system as it stands today. iDEN uses a unique TDMA scheme with some FM and AM modulation thrown in for good measure (depending on the phones operating mode).

With the Sprint NEXTEL merger, iDEN will probably be remarketed as a public safety system and Sprint NEXTEL will come out with a new phone system operating in the chunks of 2.5GHz band which both companies own. Why else would two companies using radically different technologies get in bed with each other?
nextel18

Aug 24, 2005, 9:54 PM
qchat wont be used on the network until 07-08 timeframe when REV A comes onto the network. (sprint's)

it is about spectrum, assets, and subscribers.
Vox Dei

Aug 25, 2005, 3:35 PM
Sprint doesn't need the 2ghz (i thought it was 2.1Ghz but i could be wrong). The 2 Ghz Spectum is for GSM's. EV-DO does need it's own specturm from 1x and this is one of the down sides of not going to EV-DV is that they will have to keep a seperate specturm for 1x users. But the spectrum usage on CDMA is very efficiant so they shouldn't need more bandwith unless they get alot more subscribers.
nextel18

Aug 26, 2005, 2:45 PM
its 2.5ghz. he is talking about mmds spectrum to do 4g data.

they have plenty of 800-1.9ghz spectrum they wouldnt need any more.
Vox Dei

Aug 23, 2005, 5:56 PM
stevelvl said:
i would be willing to wager a fair amount that you will never ever see nokia PTT phones with eather sprint or nextel for several reasons

1. nokia will only use nokia chipsets. these are no where near the reliability of the moto iden or qualicom

Nokia MOSTLY uses only nokia chipsets

Nokia 3205 is a CDMA qualcom chip

3. sprint and nokia are not on good grounds right now. sprint does not lik nokia.

4. sprint only offeres ptt phones with manufacturers that will work with sprint for development pourpuses. sanyo does this the most, that is why they have all the ready link phones, and samsung does it too but just not as
(continues)
nextel18

Aug 23, 2005, 6:11 PM
very true.
stevelvl

Aug 23, 2005, 10:34 PM
Vox Dei said:
stevelvl said:

Nokia MOSTLY uses only nokia chipsets

Nokia 3205 is a CDMA qualcom chip

4. sprint only offeres ptt phones with manufacturers that will work with sprint for development pourpuses. sanyo does this the most, that is why they have all the ready link phones, and s
(continues)
Vox Dei

Aug 24, 2005, 2:37 PM
I'm sorry did you add something? I can't find what you said.
stevelvl

Aug 25, 2005, 3:07 PM
i am sorry about the other post i actually did reply with a long post but evidently it got lost.

i looked up the nokia 3205 on sprints internal sites. it was a nokia chip set.

yes lg and kyocera do have ptt phones and so does nokia and so does sony ericson. however they do not make ptt phones for sprint. like i said "sprint only offeres ptt phones with manufacturers that will work with sprint for development pourpuses. sanyo does this the most, that is why they have all the ready link phones, and samsung does it too but just not as much. this is also why there is no lg, or audiovox ptt phones" as it is right now sprint will never carrie a kyocera. the reason is simple. qualicom ownes brew. they will only use brew in there hand sets. th...
(continues)
malamatenios

Aug 29, 2005, 6:57 PM
OK if you want to critisize Nokia, do it right. It is Qualcomm not Qualicom. And for your personal information if you ask any network engineer they will tell you that Nokia/Texas Instrument chip sets outperform Qualcomm CDMA chipsets. Nokia does have PTT phones but are only compatible over gprs (gsm data network)
finally if nokia phones are so terrible why are they the number 1 phone world wide??
stevelvl

Aug 29, 2005, 7:38 PM
malamatenios said:
OK if you want to critisize Nokia, do it right. It is Qualcomm not Qualicom. And for your personal information if you ask any network engineer they will tell you that Nokia/Texas Instrument chip sets outperform Qualcomm CDMA chipsets. Nokia does have PTT phones but are only compatible over gprs (gsm data network)
finally if nokia phones are so terrible why are they the number 1 phone world wide??

at what point did i say that nokia did not have ptt? the answer is i did not.

why are nokia phones #1 world wide? that answer is easy. they are the cheepest! have a cheeper mouse trap and the world will buy it. or who knows maybe the menues make more since when they are in a foregn laungua...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.