Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Bands

Sulaiman06

Mar 22, 2004, 12:38 AM
If a phone has more bands does that mean the reception would be better than a phone with less?
LordoftheSith

Mar 22, 2004, 12:56 AM
not necessarily....
it just means that it is able to work off of more bands of frequencies...
which means it has a higher chance of working in different areas.
fongoddess

Mar 25, 2004, 12:10 AM
If you are on AT&T GSM or Cingular GSM you'd want at least a phone with 1900/850. Those are the two frequencies that those carriers use in North America right now.

If T-Mobile than just 1900 mHz, b/c they aren't using 850.

If you want it to also work in other countries, you'll want 1800 and 900.

Just some general info.
Rich Brome

Mar 26, 2004, 10:02 PM
Generally, no. But...

You want your phone to have all the bands of your carrier's network. For example, if you have T-Mobile, then all you need to worry about is GSM 1900. But if you have AT&T Wireless or Cingular, you'll want both GSM 800(850) and 1900.

Other bands - GSM 900 and 1800 - only matter if you want to use your phone overseas.
bobby746

May 1, 2004, 9:13 PM
Hi

Hi
I have ATT GSM and also an account with T Mobile. There are no T Mobile phones with the 850 MHz band. The T Mobile customer service rep said T Mobile has roaming agreements with ATT and Cingular ( soon to be one company) Obvoiusly the 850MHz is important to ATT/Cingular but if T Mobile phones do not have this band, then we can't roam on those towers that utilize 850.

So what about using a T Mobile SIM card in an unlocked phone that also has the 850 MHz band?? Like the Motorola V600 etc. Or another brand with 850/1900 or 850/1800 ( Europe)/1900?

Do you think the coverage would be better? T Mobile said there are no longer any roaming charges in the US so could this be a better way to get more coverage, and as T Mobile offers ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 2, 2004, 3:06 AM
bobby746 said:
... So what about using a T Mobile SIM card in an unlocked phone that also has the 850 MHz band?? ...

Do you think the coverage would be better? ...

No.

AFAIK, all of T-Mobile's roaming agreements to date are specific to the 1900 band. Therefore, at the moment, GSM 850 is useless in a phone with a T-Mobile SIM card.

... T Mobile said there are no longer any roaming charges in the US ...

🤣 Total bull. 🙄

Actually, as usual, there are shades of grey... it depends on the plan you are on. People on certain new plans today may not pay roaming, but there are plenty of people on old plans that are still being billed roaming.

But more importantly... AFA...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 2, 2004, 3:12 AM
Rich Brome said:
... AFAIK, all of T-Mobile's roaming agreements to date are specific to the 1900 band. ...

Hopefully it was implied... 🤭 ...but in case not, I meant domestic! 😉
bobby746

May 2, 2004, 9:57 AM
Hi

Which would you think is a better carrier, T Mobile or ATT? I read an article that stated T Mobile has clearer calls, and a better network but who knows what to believe in the press. Looks like ATT will have the better coverage wit h the merger.

So T Mobile is only on the 1900 band? I guess they have the European kind of Tri Ban phones since they are so much larger outside the US where 900/1800 is used?

Bobby
mmdstech

May 2, 2004, 11:13 AM
You can't make a general statement like that. Every market is different. The better question would be, I'm is Dallas, how do you like carrier a. or carrier b.? In my area Nextel works the best for me, but it might not be the best for someone else. Don't think about what frequency you are using, a well designed network operaates good in 1900 or 800.
Rich Brome

May 2, 2004, 11:15 AM
Both carriers use GSM technology, so any differences in sound quality are most likely small differences due to different tower gear vendors (or add-ons like echo cancelers), which is something that varies by city/region. Overall, sound quality should be pretty much the same.

After the merger, AT&T/Cingular will absolutely have the larger network with more coverage. No question there. But T-Mobile's network is older and much more optimized. It will take some time before AT&T and Cingular can iron out minor coverage irregularities between their two networks.

Bottom line, in urban areas, as always, coverage will be decent no matter who you go with. It's only in more rural areas or certain oddball cities that there will be a major differen...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.