Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

using unlocked phones on cingular networks

koreancory

Jun 1, 2005, 10:49 PM
😕 i just really need to kno if an unlocked gsm 900mhz/1900mhz cell phone work on the 850mhz/1900mhz network at cingular because i need to buy a new phone and some really nice ones online are ALOT cheaper than cingular's prices.
jerrydock

Jun 2, 2005, 7:47 AM
Why not just buy a 4 channel "world phone" and be done with all the guessing?
koreancory

Jun 2, 2005, 10:22 AM
because i dont really have like 400 dollars to spend. lol. and most of the like "cool" phones are 900/1900.
remba

Jun 8, 2005, 8:03 PM
You need a 850/1900 unit for the USA. 900/1800 will work in other places around the world.
mobilepimp

Jun 2, 2005, 8:40 AM
It probably would work, but would be limited to 1900mHZ netwrks only. Also with any unlocked phone, you risk having issues with data services.
ripley

Jun 2, 2005, 9:18 AM
not to mention that the area you are in may not have any 1900MHz band to use. then you would be sol.
Vatothe0

Jun 5, 2005, 1:10 PM
But you would save so much money on the phone it'd probably be worth chancing no service and/or no data.

Save $100 and jump into the dark.
Punk0Rama

Jun 9, 2005, 10:02 PM
A. it will work in 50% of the areas you travel IF YOU ARE LUCKY. the most areas have greater coverage under the lower frequency band.
B. there are a variety of services that will not work on a non-cingular phone, including *MIN, *PAY, a variety of data services, some ring tones, and a series of other network only features.
what model of phone are you looking at? depending on the model, coaxing can get you it for free or you can wait for the online offers to change.
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2005, 2:47 PM
I don't recommend it.

Large parts of Cingular's network are 850-only.

Even more areas have both bands. The problem with that is that Cingular often puts the control channels on one band, and some or all of the actual voice capacity in the other band, so you might find yourself in an area where your phone says it's on Cingular's network with full bars, but you can't actually make a call because the voice channels are all on 850.

Plus, in areas with both bands, you'll often get more dead spots or poor peak-hours service without 850, since in many places they are relying on 850 coverage to fill in dead spots and add capacity.

More importantly, as Cingular rolls out 3G this year, you can expect more shuffling of voice channels betwee...
(continues)
koreancory

Jun 11, 2005, 7:09 PM
thanks man u helped alot. im thinking about getting the motorola v635 so i think ill be covered.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.