Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Data technology status check

Dillsnik

Feb 25, 2004, 10:25 AM
Just to clarify, can anyone sumarise the current technology used in data transmission for the different providers and include info on when the current system will change to the expected one if known. I want to know better which providers are running the fastest, and for how long it will be like it is.

My current understanding is that CDMA is on the 1xRTT system and this is fastest.

GSM is on GPRS and this is not as fast. But when will CDMA be on EDGE, which I understand is just as fast as 1xRTT?
mmdstech

Feb 25, 2004, 5:57 PM
CDMA using EDGE? 🤣 EDGE is faster than 1XRRT, but not as fast as EV-DO. Nextel uses WiDEN which has speeds around 100kbps. You want FAST??? Nextel is testing service using Flarion's OFDM technology. Downstream of 1.5mbps with bursts to 3mbps. Upstream speeds of 375kbps with bursts to 750kbps. It's only in Raleigh N.C now. Hopefully the trial goes well and they roll this out. This would make Verizon's EV-DO rollout second rate compared to Nextel.
Dillsnik

Feb 25, 2004, 11:13 PM
I meant to say when will GSM be on EDGE. not CDMA. My bad.

I admit I don't know much about this stuff, but that was a type-o.
GDBOSS

Feb 27, 2004, 7:13 PM
I know for sure the the EDGE is on in the Phil. market for AT&T
Rich Brome

Mar 1, 2004, 8:33 PM
Sprint and Verizon both launched 1xRTT nationwide a while ago. It offers about 60-80 kbps speeds.

GPRS - offered by Cingular and T-Mobile is much slower - about 30-40 kbps.

AT&T recently launched EDGE nationwide. It's based on GPRS, but almost triples the speed, making it slightly faster than 1xRTT. However, different devices have different classes, which affects maximum speed, and sometimes different areas allow different numbers of slots, which also affects speed.

Cingular is starting to roll out EDGE in various areas now, too. I imagine T-Mobile won't be too far behind, although I expect they'll wait until they can do a national launch.

In the end, I'd say 1xRTT and EDGE are roughly comparable.

As for faster technologies, V...
(continues)
mmdstech2

Mar 1, 2004, 10:30 PM
Good post. But you can't talk about high speed and forget to mention Nextel's Flarion trials. The OFDM network will make Verizon's EV-DO seem like dial up.
moobak

Mar 10, 2004, 1:24 AM
Wow, what a confusing word: orthogonal frequency division multiplexing. o.o!
kajpkgeng

Apr 12, 2004, 10:08 AM
Great post but I have a question. I am in the market for likely two treo 600s. However, before I throw down a grand for this I would like to get an idea of

A. are the current phones (treo lines specifically) going to be upgradeable? to these great new networks?

I am in the market to purchase likely two new treos to replace 4 year old phones and before I plunk down a thou I would like to have some confidence that they will be usable for at least 3 years.

This may not be the best post for this but but in addition to upgrade ability who has the best coverage ( travel quite a bit). TDMA and analog doesnt really apply to the treo lines and while I think the best coverage is CDMA currently is it safe to say its not going to be just a G...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Apr 12, 2004, 2:05 PM
No, no current phones will be upgradeable to newer 3G standards. That goes for all current phones, including the Treo.

Your Treo won't become obsolete, though. Current CDMA and GSM networks will be around for a long, long time. There's virtually no chance of them being shut off in the next five years, and it will probably be more like a decade or more. The current networks will co-exist with the new networks for the foreseeable future.
frin

Apr 15, 2004, 8:45 PM
Thanks, I've had my phone for 5-6 years and have not kept up to date with all this new stuff, good info 🙂

However, I've now decided to get a nice new phone (perhaps SE K700) and I would love to be able to do data with it from a laptop or a zaurus over perhaps bluetooth, and what interests me most is:

1. Latency
2. Which US carriers will allow SSH usage.

Could anyone comment?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.