Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Doen't anybody make phone calls anymore?

The Old Bear

Jun 28, 2008, 3:53 PM
As I evaluate phones, I find that there is plenty of information about the style and appearance of the phone, the pixel dimensions and color depth of the display, the battery charging time and battery talk/standby times, the phone's ability to play games, to play music, to input text, to run Java apps, to connect to blue-tooth devices, etc.

But having just had the experience from hell trying to use an LG Shine in locations where other, cheaper phones work fine, I have a simple question:

How come nobody provides information on the receiver sensitivity in mV, the effective radiated power of the phone's transmitter, the signal-to-noise ratio what the phone will tolerate, etc.? How about signal rejection for when you're trying to use, say...
(continues)
Bozothecellguy

Jun 29, 2008, 12:40 PM
I know nothing about all that technical mumbo jumbo you were talking about.

BUT i do agree as far as what everyone advertises and shows is mainly the "extras" of the phone and thus the MAIN function of the phone has seemed to become lost in the thought processes.

I too have noticed that my older phone (LG-4270) seems to get better reception than my newer phone (kyo M1000)
The Old Bear

Jul 1, 2008, 9:19 PM
I'm sorry about the "technical mumbo jumbo" but this was my first post to Phone Scoop and I did not want to ask a tech question without going into (excessive) detail.

You said it much better than I did: "the MAIN function of the phone has seemed to become lost"

Let me take another crack at it. It seems that the user might need a different kind of phone in the canyons of Manhattan than hiking in the fringes the Colorado Rockies. Not that either phone would be good or bad, just engineered a little differently. Right now, the only way to find that out is through the (much appreciated) "free trial" period offered by most of the major wireless providers.

It's interesting that the wireless companies' advertising stresses the voice or d...
(continues)
rmtp22

Jul 1, 2008, 6:02 PM
Old Bear -

I don't know where to find transmission spec ratings. But if you have not seen your actual receive and transmit ratings, you can on your LG.

Menu - 0 - (code) 000000 - test - screen

Check that out you may find that helpful. Active pilot will tell you what tower you are pulling off of. Its not what you are looking for, but should be close.

On Cellfriend's comment, from now on when we sale a cell phone, we will say, "Hmm, what would Old Bear like".

Cellfriend - If you read this, your comment was way out of line.

And from
BobbyPheonix

Jul 1, 2008, 7:40 PM
I too agree. Is a cell phone by any other name still a phone? Shine, Gleam, Razr. Still a PHONE, and being such it's first and most important function should be to provider the best PHONE conversation as possible. Then all the bells and whistles should come (if needed). Those who want "everything" on their phone really don't want a phone with features, but they want a portable entertainment device, that can sometimes act as a phone. In that case get a UPC.
tkboxer

Jul 1, 2008, 10:37 PM
I would agree that call quality has been taken for granted and it shouldn't be. Some phones have better call quality than others. Personally, I have had good luck with LG and Nokia phones.
As a side comment, I think one problem that effects call quality is the placement of the microphone on the phone. Some phones that have mic on the bottom of the phone (facing down) tend to pick up too much background sound that can easily drown out the callers voice sound. That to me is very poor design that should have been caught in the development stage.
SprintTechMN

Jul 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have to dissagree with you a bit.

A phone needs to be a phone yes, but, with the way our society is moving, on the go access of our everyday stuff is becoming more and more of a neccesity. I think that a lot of the carriers are seeing this, and responding to the demand.

For me, when Sprint finally decides to make the Samsung Instinct available to their employees, I'm going to get one, and believe it or not, 99% of what I do on my computer at home, I will be able to from my "phone" All that is left for useablity for my computer is streaming movies from Netflix (just hooked my computer up to my new 32" tv 😁 Biggest darn monitor I've ever had) and playing a couple of games that I hardly play.

I know that I'm not alone with ...
(continues)
SprintTechMN

Jul 8, 2008, 10:32 AM
Someone needs to come up with a rating system for what Old Bear is talking about.
rmtp22

Jul 8, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yes they do need a rating system, you're right about that one.

I got a chance to travel with the Alltel System Network Crew. It was very intriguing for me. They had connected three of the exact same phones and drove about 70 miles. All three were connected to a computer that would tell the phone to dial and hang up repeatedly. They the computer would give a data print out. What was strange was one phone would hit and hold in places the others would not, and vis-versa. It was very interesting.

So there is obviously a difference from model to model. But why the difference with in the same model? And could you accommodate that into the system?
rmcnamee

Jul 3, 2008, 9:03 PM
I feel the same way you do, Old Bear. When I'm shopping for a phone (which I do much more often than is probably healthy), I first and foremost look through all the reviews I can find on the World Wide Web that say anything at all about reception. Reviews don't have those technical details, but they still give you a pretty good idea of the phone's reception.

All the bells and whistles on phones these days are great, but if you're like me, you need a phone that gets reception.

In my area (Minnesota), Verizon is the carrier that you will get reception everywhere with, regardless of the phone itself. I don't know if this is true in other areas of the country, but you know how Verizon usually takes a bit longer to release new phones that a...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.