Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

A phone with "Java" and a memory card and no mp3 player??

Operaman

Nov 24, 2004, 1:40 AM
How's it possible for a phone to have a Java engine and freely accessible storage space like you'd find on flash memory cards and NOT have an mp3 player?

The only other thing I'd think you'd need to play mp3s would be a speaker and well, I don't think you can have a phone w/o one of those :-)

I've never went looking for an mp3 player written in Java but I think I'd faint if I couldn't find a dozen in 10 seconds.

Are phones like the Nokia 3620
https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=392 »
somehow crippled and you can't load up just any old well-written truly-platform-independent Java app on them?
Or they didn't implement a way for the Java engine to access the memory card maybe?
Rich Brome

Nov 24, 2004, 12:01 PM
The 3620 is a Series 60 smartphone, so it can actually run both Java and Series 60 (Symbian) software. Series 60 software is generally much faster and more powerful than Java, so in this case you'd want a Series 60 MP3 player.

...which is absolutely available. In fact, I see at least two MP3 players in the top-10 list for the 3620 on Handango:

http://www.handango.com/Products.jsp?phoneTest=D&pla ... »

MP3 player isn't listed in the 3620 features on Phone Scoop because it's not included out-of-the-box. And when you have a smartphone, there's very little you can't add via software.
Operaman

Nov 24, 2004, 12:19 PM
Excellent! Just as I'd hoped!

Man, someone should slap their developers or marketers on the wrist!
Seems like sticking a Java mp3 player on the phone at the factory would add a rather sought after feature to phones like this at practically no cost to the maker.

Maybe then it'd start competing with more expensive phones or something.
Or they fear the support costs of people who can't figure out how to work it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.