Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 21 replies

LG CU 500 verses CINGULAR SYNC

SUTHERN REDD

Mar 30, 2007, 1:38 PM
I am interested in opinions on these 2 phones.

It's our time for upgrade and are looking at these 2 and I am looking to see opinions on anything affiliated with these 2 phones...

Thanks for your time!

~REDD
Jayshmay

Apr 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
First of all, this summer there is another version of the LG CU500 coming out with Cingulars new video sharing service, it'll be called the LG CU500v, the little v at the end for video, other than the video sharing service capability, my understanding is the CU500v will essentially be the same as the CU500.

Just wanted to give you a heads up reguarding the near future.
Septhian

Aug 9, 2007, 9:19 AM
Wait for the LG Traxx (cu525) this one like their best GSM phone to date, but take a look before choosing the CU500v
Septhian

Aug 9, 2007, 9:56 AM
Sorry, LG Trax is the cu575.
bigtalkorange

Jul 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
I had the LG CU500v less then 2 hours and it was a disaster, practically cut my microSD card in half. LG refuses to replace the microSD card because they say they don't make them. The phone was defective in how the microSD slot was manufacturered, and it has a design flaw that allowed the card to be broke in the first place. My phone was stolen when I tried to return it during the iPhone riot. AT&T/Cingular will not help, will not refund my money for the phone, will not replace my microSD card. Basically it's well just come in and buy a brand new phone (at marked up price because i already extended my contract).

If you are going to stay with AT&T/Cingular I'd go with a Motorola Razr or Kazr. My mom got a Samsung phone (similiar to t...
(continues)
Webb

Jul 15, 2007, 4:49 PM
Uh. The replacement phone wouldn't be at marked up price. Rather, you received the cu500V at a discount. Purchasing a replacement phone at the non-commit price is a markup of roughly zero. Purchasing a phone with a contract renewal is at below cost.

It's normal that you wouldn't be refunded for it, because you didn't actually return the phone. Carriers do not as a rule give you money for having your phone stolen, though most give you the option to insure your handset (insurance provided by a contracted company, because carriers are not insurance companies, deductible applies to make a claim, replacement may be a reconditioned handset).

The MicroSD card sounds like a pretty freak thing. LG wouldn't cover it because it's not part of the ...
(continues)
bigtalkorange

Jul 16, 2007, 12:43 AM
The PHONE WAS STOLEN ON THEIR PREMISES WHILE I WAS RETURNING IT! I think that makes it their responsibility. But they say since I didn't get a receipt before it was stolen, not their problem.

I say AT&T/Cingular has a problem. bad phone selection, bad customer service, just going bad all the way around. Time to move to a new provider.

Ok, it's at a discount how come walmart/bestbuy charge $78 for a Kazr with a 2 year contract, Cingular store (owned by company) charges twice that? Do you really think these phones cost $200?? and they make it up by charging you $29 a month for 2 years. Come on. Massed produced in 3rd world countries, probably $10 to $20 a phone. And then how come Verizon can offer the Kazr for $49, while cingula...
(continues)
DeepFryerDan

Jul 16, 2007, 7:44 AM
the phone pricing is a shaky subject just because it's different every where. the reason walmart can sell their phones cheaper is simple. they are an authorized dealer therefore they only get paid if they activate the phone. cingular pays them a certain amount based on the plan and added features. the phone itself is paid for by the dealer. the dealer pays full price for the phone from the manufacturer and can discount it as far as he wants based on how much he thinks he is going to make off of the activation.
ralph_on_me

Jul 16, 2007, 9:52 AM
Small correction

DeepFryerDan said:
the phone pricing is a shaky subject just because it's different every where. the reason walmart can sell their phones cheaper is simple. they are a national retailer therefore they only get paid if they activate the phone. cingular pays them a certain amount based on the plan and added features. the phone itself is paid for by the dealer. the dealer pays full price for the phone from the manufacturer and can discount it as far as he wants based on how much he thinks he is going to make off of the activation.

National retailers forfeit residual payments for an even lower upfront cost on equipment. Authorized dealers are, in many cases, no different in appearan...
(continues)
DeepFryerDan

Jul 16, 2007, 9:55 AM
you make me want to ralph on you
ralph_on_me

Jul 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
awesome.

You make me want French Toast.

What was up with that orange guy's response? The phone snapped his micro SD in half? 🙄
DeepFryerDan

Jul 16, 2007, 10:15 AM
yeah, i guess the phone was hungry.. like i am for french toast now.
chainsaw

Jul 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
You sir, are a complete moron. Come work for a cell phone company before you open your gash mark on your face.
chocolateman85006

Aug 3, 2007, 6:32 AM
Go for T-Mobile!!
chocolateman85006

Jul 16, 2007, 10:51 AM
Webb said:
Uh. The replacement phone wouldn't be at marked up price. Rather, you received the cu500V at a discount. Purchasing a replacement phone at the non-commit price is a markup of roughly zero. Purchasing a phone with a contract renewal is at below cost.

It's normal that you wouldn't be refunded for it, because you didn't actually return the phone. Carriers do not as a rule give you money for having your phone stolen, though most give you the option to insure your handset (insurance provided by a contracted company, because carriers are not insurance companies, deductible applies to make a claim, replacement may be a reconditioned handset).

The MicroSD card sounds like a pretty freak thing. LG wouldn't cover i
(continues)
shady24

Jul 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
i'm sorry, i don't reply to many of these posts but this needs to be said: you are an idiot that knows nothing of what you're speaking. Do not listen to this person.
bigtalkorange

Aug 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
🤭 I think I know a lot of what I'm talking about. I currently have a samsung 427, great phone, only the battery no longer takes a charge. The LG is cheap, and you get what you pay for. I'd never buy another LG, completely poorly designed. As for the Sync it doesn't have the MicroSD design flaw, they did that right, why more phones don't do it that way I have no idea. But the menu's are screwball. A firmware update to the phone so you change the two hot buttons to things more useful and it seems like it'd be a great phone. But it is terrible to navigate the menus and it does not allow you to change them. Every other phone allows you to do that (even the LG), no idea why they didn't add that.
If you don't think I know what I'm d...
(continues)
s_scott15

Jul 30, 2007, 12:21 PM
Oh my gosh you have got to be kidding me! this sounds like a BOB story! You can't expect a company to replace something just because it was stolen on their property! If my wallet gets stolen at Home Depot, I'm not going to hold them responsible! Maybe I would expect them to help me find it, but they arent going to replace it! I cant believe you would go with a RAZR over a Samsung or LG.
s_scott15

Jul 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
I have owned both the LG CU500 and the samsung SYNC and they are both good phones.
I would probably go with the SYNC because it is more music capable. ATT is releasing a new way to download music OTA and the SYNC will support it, also it is easier to sync music with your PC using Windows Media player or Napster.

The Sync also features a larger, Brighter screen (easier to see in direct sunlight) and a more convinent user interface.

On the CU500 I had a hard time with the Micro SD slot, it would only read the card about half of the time.

Really the main thing I didn't like about the SYNC is the front screen dosent just light up at the touch of a button, you have to hold down the side key for like 3 or 4 seconds for it to come on. ...
(continues)
satansk8

Jul 30, 2007, 4:30 PM
I would reccomend going with the sync personally. The cu 500 has been out for a while but the sync is proving to be more reilable. the reviews say as much also. I am kind of a lg fan but for gsm they seem not to be very reliable where samsung has the market on the gsm coverage. Go with the Sync.
chainsaw

Jul 30, 2007, 5:39 PM
Whatev! The sync sucks big time. Get the v3xx it gets better signal strength. Honestly, samsung sucks in the signal dept in my market.
satansk8

Jul 31, 2007, 3:49 PM
the moto would be great for signal especially because moto builds most of the towers, but in my market the signal strength doesn't matter very much there is good coverage with any manufacturer. A razor is a great idea if you want a phone to freeze, the display to go blank and slow UI. the razor also does not have video share, the cu 500 and the sync do. there are big pluses to that stuff.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.