Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Sanyo For other carriers besides Sprint?

MeloveCellPhones

Feb 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
Sprint must have a contract with Sanyo to only make phones for them. I use to be a Sprint customer but I switched to TMobile and I love the service but I miss Sanyo phones. I loved the messaging and screen call feature. I wish they would create a GSM model for TMobile. Does anyone happen to have any inside scoop? 🤨
SprintKadjar

Feb 9, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sanyo does indeed have a contract to solely make phones for Sprint.

Though occasionally, you may find a Sanyo phone on a partner that has been approved to use Sprint technology (i.e., Qwest), you will never find a Sanyo on VZW or any GSM carrier.
OnePointEight

Feb 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Not in North America
raycarroll70

Feb 10, 2007, 6:25 PM
Even though Sanyo is currently an exclusive wireless handset maunfacturer for Sprint Nextel Inc., there are a few MVNOs such as Movida and Embarq who also sell Sanyo handsets such as the Katana/6600.
sprintguy

Feb 10, 2007, 7:28 PM
you know, if you knew Sprint services you would know that Embarq and Movida are in a partnership with Sprint just like Alamosa was and kinda like the partners for nextel
sprintguy

Feb 10, 2007, 7:37 PM
a slight rephrasing is due, those companies i meant to say are like qwest not alamosa. that is why they carry sanyo
raycarroll70

Feb 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
Incorrect, Alamosa PCS was a Sprint PCS Affiliate which sold the Sprint PCS wireless products and services in markets where Sprint PCS did not own the FCC license(s) just as Nextel Partners Inc. was a Nextel Affiliate in markets where Nextel did not own the FCC license(s) to offer products and services under their own name. Qwest Wireless is another CDMA wireless carrier who even though offers produscts services under their name, is transitioning their customers over to the Sprint Nextel Inc. CDMA network. Embarq was the LEC of Sprint Nextel Inc. until they were spun off into their own independent company last May under the helm of Dan Hesse(who BTW was the CEO of a wireless carrier I was previously employeed with up until 09/04). Embarq is ...
(continues)
DigAHole

Feb 12, 2007, 2:53 PM
raycarroll70 said:
Embarq is now an MVNO just as Movida who has targeted the Hispanic/Latin American market.

Is that a racist comment?
raycarroll70

Feb 12, 2007, 3:15 PM
No DigaHole, I'm not making a racist comment. If you had perused through the Movida website first before asking that question, you would have read what Movida was about and their marketing stategy.

http://www.movidacelular.com/movida_english/movcorpn ... »

One of the great US humorists, novelists and short story authors, Mark Twain, once said
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Something to ponder DigAHole. Something to seriously ponder.
DigAHole

Feb 12, 2007, 6:03 PM
I have a good quote too

George Bush said:
He tried to kill my daddy

That quote has as much relevance as to what you wrote.

I don't need philosopical advice from you, thanks though!
DigAHole

Feb 12, 2007, 6:05 PM
'Cause I noted the fact that you're racist against hispanics.
raycarroll70

Feb 12, 2007, 8:46 PM
Well DigAHole, I'm sure Rich will concur on me that my thread posting regarding Movida in no way is racist. If God can be coloblind, so can I. At the time of Rapture, I know which side of God I shall be sitting. Do you?
Crapbag

Feb 12, 2007, 9:20 PM
raycarroll70 said:
If God can be coloblind, so can I. At the time of Rapture, I know which side of God I shall be sitting. Do you?

What does this have to do with the thread?
DigAHole

Feb 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
DigAHole said:
Nothing.
txsolitaire

Feb 12, 2007, 11:53 PM
wow did you just turn this into a religious issue. LOL. Yea, I'm real worried about what side I'll be on personally, since i don't believe in god, and assuming other people do is not only presumptious but ignorant. You show your true colors with that post. "Im going to heaven and you are not nyah nyah" oh grow up you judgemental nincompoop. If theres people like you in heaven, I'd rather dance in the fire.
crackberry

Feb 14, 2007, 5:44 PM
DigAHole said:
raycarroll70 said:
Embarq is now an MVNO just as Movida who has targeted the Hispanic/Latin American market.

Is that a racist comment?

how could you possibly be that stupid to think that was a racist comment?

that like someone saying 'february is black history month... (then you saying, is that racist)... idiot.
Buckeye2744

Feb 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
Other carriers would be nice. I do like Sprints signal strength here in Florida. But what I don't like is Sanyo's non committal to making a truely great phone with all the bells and wistles.

I have a Sanyo VM4500 (best I think they have ever made)and its Dual band / triband modes but the damn thing does not have BLUETOOTH and I have to rig it up with a jabra bluetooth in order to use it hands and external wire free.

I hate the too thin look of the Katana and its feel keyboard feel.

Sanyo needs to Make a high end phone with a Quad band, bluetooth, slide form factor, all the other nice stuff that is on the Samsung SCH-i830. Samsung has a problem with reception and signal dropping but SANYO does not. That's why I do not own a Samsung...
(continues)
raycarroll70

Feb 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
Would you like a little bit of cheese with your whine? Sanyo is a CDMA manufacturer, not a GSM one. Unless you frequently travel outside of North America, I wouldn't touch GSM with a ten foot pole and that's saying quite a bit since I worked for AT&T Wireless from '97 to '04. BTW, the Sanyo M1 has quite a few bells and whistles. I feel it's the Escalade of the Sprint line up at the moment just ahead of their M610 and 8400. Sanyo isn't bullheaded as you stated. A company who has received quite a few JD Powers & Associates Awards much be doing something to merit them. Think about upgrading.
Buckeye2744

Feb 15, 2007, 5:39 PM
Ray,

Thanks for answering back.

I live in Seminole, Fl. West of Tampa Bay. My Sprint VM4500 Sanyo serves me very well here and since it is a dual band / triple band I am able to pick up analog roaming in central Fla and up and down I-75 when the others are dropped.

I looked at the M-1 but it is only a dual band. I assume it will not pickup analog roaming like the VM4500. Other than that it is a nice phone. Will the M1 pick up (automaically) analog roaming?

This is why I do not have one now.

Thanks,
cyberpsionic

Feb 15, 2007, 6:05 PM
No, the Sanyo M1 is a digital dual band(850/1900 MHz) handset. There aren't any high tech Sanyo handsets that are AMPs equipped. Don't forget that next year if all goes according to FCC's plan, AMPS will be turned down in the US as not only is analog an archaic wireless platform, costly to both wireless carriers and subscribers alike, it doesn't support encryption or multimedia functions.

http://www.sanyo.com/wireless/handsets/index.cfm?pro ... »
raycarroll70

Feb 15, 2007, 6:07 PM
LOL! Since when does an Embarg employee know so much about a Sprint phone? 😳
raycarroll70

Feb 13, 2007, 9:12 AM
Just thought I'd throw a bit of religious flavor in there for a zinger. Back to the marketing and positioning of Movida. If you look at their website and read about who there are and what their target market is, you'll see I wasn't making a racist comment as DigAHole accused me of and giving a valid response too MeloveCellPhones. Yes, I'm a God fearing Episcopalian.
cyberpsionic

Feb 13, 2007, 9:42 AM
🤨
puni5hment

Feb 13, 2007, 1:51 PM
yup sanyo does have a contract with sprint i work for sprint and i currently use the new sanyo m1 and i adore this phone.T-mobile is one of the worlds largest international service provider im sure if u go on ebay and search for unlocked gsm u will find a phone that will make u forget all about sanyo.try nokia N series those are realy good phones packed with features

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.