Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 9 replies

AT&T buying more?

ajlineman

Jan 14, 2009, 2:42 PM
So this crap has been passed around in the AT&T forum and I havn't heard anything at work but a few people seemed to be informed about the legitimacy of the claim.
So just looking to see if anyone else has heard anything.
IS AT&T BUYING T-MOBILE????????????????
I would say even if they wanted to, even if T-MOBILE wanted them to, and even if they could afford it, would the FCC even allow it? I would almost say this would put an illegal monopoly on the GSM network, right?
What do you guys think?
T-Monster

Jan 14, 2009, 3:00 PM
I was actually reading the same posts, and I would have said something except as anyone reading the at&t forum can see, the ones who posted on that particular topic have a lower SAT score than a jar of mayonayse.

If at&t and t-mobile USA wanted it, it could happen. Because Verizon and Sprint are still around (Sprint for now), they can be considered direct competitors to T-mobile and at&t even though they're different technologies (CDMA vs. GSM) because they are both wireless carriers. As an example, you can take the recent merger of Sirius and XM. They are the only satelite radio providers in the US, but were able to merge because HD radio was considered a direct competitor.

Will they merge? I highly doubt it. Although t-mobile USA i...
(continues)
ajlineman

Jan 14, 2009, 3:45 PM
That makes alot of sense about the monopoly thing, didn't know that about the XM radio, I just knew the FCC gets in the way of alot of things and this seemed like one of the escuses they would come up with.
And I guess I don't pay attention to the idea of parent companies quite enough, I keep thinking of the American Carriers as independant companies, gotta watch out for that. But even with a major parent company, isn't it still possible to sell out the T-Mobile name and its affiliate customers? I remember reading somewhere that ALLTEL also had a major parent company that just decided the U.S. was moving too slow for them so they just dropped it. I spend so much time in forums alot of what I hear is hearsay so never really reliable but if t...
(continues)
T-Monster

Jan 14, 2009, 5:29 PM
well if you remember correctly, back in the day, when cingular first aquired AT&T wireless, they had a transition period of branding. all the commercials said "Cingular, the New AT&T" or something along those lines. When they then changed back to at&t, it was just quiet rebranding. the problem is that because t-mobile has a parent company, at&t would not be able to use any official colors or logos in the slightest, which is the big difference between having a parent company or not. i don't think alltel had a parent company, rather they were a REALLY BIG regional carrier. most likely if at&t were to buy out t-mobile USA from deutch telekom, they would get rid of the t-mobile name completely after a transitional rebranding period.
ajlineman

Jan 14, 2009, 5:52 PM
That makes alot of sense too. I wonder if it would be a grandfather of current plans that customers have or making them all sign over? Eh, gettin into alot of speculation here, I'll just wait to hear more about REALITY in the rumors I guess.
rhi_nan

Jan 14, 2009, 5:51 PM
ATT also just bought a small regional carrier based in the midwest. I hope they don't acquire TMO.
T-Monster

Jan 14, 2009, 6:51 PM
i really doubt it. like i said, Deutch Telekom has a better chance of wanting to expand their american market and choose to buy at&t.
ajlineman

Jan 14, 2009, 7:41 PM
Yeah I don't see a big company like that selling off something that's still bringing them a profit. Just thought I'd bring up the rumor.
dave73

Jan 15, 2009, 12:37 PM
Unless the FCC loosens up the competition rule, AT&T acquiring T-Mobile won't happen, as they compete in nearly the same markets as AT&T, as well as Verizon. Most of the major markets still have 4-6 competitors, while much smaller markets typically only have 2. Chicago still has 5 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, T-Mobile, & USCC) and will be adding a 6th carrier soon, Cricket. When Sprint & Nextel were separate companies, the current AT&T was Cingular, and the old AT&T Wireless were still around, there used to be 7 carriers in Chicago.
ajlineman

Jan 15, 2009, 6:07 PM
Uhh I'm pretty sure that we already went over most of this in other posts. Because they will always have competition from Verizon, Sprint, etc, AT&T wouldn't get in trouble with the FCC, and they wouldn't prevent it.
That doesn't mean its gonna happen, simply that the FCC don't care.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.