Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 7 replies

TV Tuner in the Phone?

wonderdave

Sep 6, 2004, 5:22 PM
I was reading on the Samsung site that they are trying to develop a phone with a television tuner that will allow you to watch tv. Could this be true? And, when do you think it could happen?
pj33arc

Sep 6, 2004, 7:03 PM
i havent really heard of anything other than mobitv or whatever it is i have on my phone. i think i have like 10 channels or something for 10 bucks a month.
neworleansg504

Sep 8, 2004, 8:46 PM
I know that Nokia has a tuner phone... $10 bucks a month!! 😲 What is that for? Does it pick up off of a satellite? Even if so you would have the same DSS- Dishnet argument with being able to access local stations. Example: I am in New Orleans will I be watching Fox News in Chicago?
datluterror

Mar 16, 2005, 9:23 PM
There already is a phone with a built in TV tuner. Its the TV Fone (CDMA).....unfortunatlly its not available in the US. Its works the same way phones w/ fm tuners built in work just pics up on local broadcast stations. more info on device below

http://www.wirelessimports.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pro ... »
WirelessImports

Mar 17, 2005, 8:16 PM
Actually the phone does work in the USA under Verizon. Also there is no monthly charge to watch TV as it picks up all the local channels over the air.
datluterror

Mar 23, 2005, 1:30 AM
im talking full functionality ...i would love 2 get sum of the phones u have on your site but the half the functions dont work with us netoworks like the data services...u have sum great phones like the 5 Megapixal camera phone but wats great about that if u cant share it cause u have no data services 🤣 n even with the TVphone we r talkin bout there r issues u even admit it on your site ....Fixed/Known
Issues Fixed: Text messaging works (Shows phone number of person sending message 90% of the time)
Fixed: Voice mail indicator works (everywhere)
Known: Caller ID only shows number
Known: Zero Internet Access
...i do applaude u 4 this and being honest its just silly 2 me 2 spend $200-2000 on a phone n not use half of the services
adlman

Sep 9, 2004, 6:07 PM
ATT Wireless also has something similar through RealTV where you can watch streaming video of everything from music videos to weather on The Weather Channel using the Nokia 6620 handset. Content is expanding however it still is not a full tv-like experience. Graphics are impressive though. Through the edge network and capabilities of this handset it is very quick.
Rich Brome

Sep 7, 2004, 10:17 AM
There have been a few such phones released already in Korea and Japan.

Samsung has developed and demonstrated a GSM phone with this capability as well, and even announced a while back that T-Mobile would carry it, but then that kind of faded away. I assume it was canceled. This is it:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=438 »

I think the issue is simply that with a TV tuner, it bypasses the network and the carrier can't make any money from it. They'd much rather get you to watch a streaming video feed that works over the data connection so they can charge you on monthly basis, like what Sprint offers now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.