Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Number change charge

indecisive1

Nov 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
I have heard that cingular charges $36.00 to change their number. Is this true?
allim7399

Nov 20, 2006, 1:25 PM
They charge $36 for any number change except if you moved to a different area code. 🤤
indecisive1

Nov 20, 2006, 1:44 PM
Thats kind of a steep charge. I used to work for tmobile and they didn't charge anything. Why is that charge so high if you know? Or anyone for that fact. At tmobile you got new minutes when you number changed. So they would look at your history of number changes and if seem to be quiet frequent at the end of the month they woudln't change it.

$36.00 bux.. man thats a months service just for a new number thats kinda shotty. Does anyone know about the other carriers. Do they charge for number changes?
CptWireless

Nov 20, 2006, 7:20 PM
Sprint doesn't. I cannot believe someone would charge $36 for a number changes... That's just awful.
krickt

Nov 20, 2006, 9:46 PM
USCC is going to start charging, but only if you change your number more than twice a year. I have very few customers that would actually affect. The charge is only $15, and I agree, $36 is a little steep.
jmac32here

Nov 22, 2006, 3:03 PM
oddly it shows up in Forums, but nowhere on the site...could they be mistaking the number change as a new activation..cuz that looks more like an activation fee, hrm..

I will research this more.
phonecellar

Dec 12, 2006, 10:59 PM
They charge $36 for a number change because according to the rep I spoke with when I asked for one, they have to create a new account and treat the number change as a new activation. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me.
ralph_on_me

Dec 14, 2006, 12:14 PM
no, It's the same account number.
firephoenix

Dec 27, 2006, 11:25 AM
Verizon charges $15, and the reason that we were to give when I worked there was the extra work it caused on the network end.
katrina

Dec 27, 2006, 1:53 PM
Number-change charges make sense for many reasons, including the cost of aquiring the number, the cost of the call into customer care to get your number changed (this usualy costs about $6 itself), the cost of maintining the MDN/MIN/MSISDN/DID database, the costs associated with "snapping back" the old number if it was a ported number, or "snapping in" the new one if it is... you get the idea
Hombre07

Dec 27, 2006, 3:54 PM
Cingular does indeed charge $36 for a number change. There are however ways to have this waived. If you get harrasing phone calls, if you change your location, or you number is long distance from your landline phone they will waive the fee.
not2bright

Nov 20, 2006, 7:50 PM
indecisive1 said:
$36.00 bux.. man thats a months service just for a new number thats kinda shotty. Does anyone know about the other carriers. Do they charge for number changes?

I just changed a number on Verizon and they didn't charge me. They asked why I wanted to change it and I told them it was my wife's phone and she never has a reason for changing anything, they seemed to be fine with that.
indecisive1

Nov 21, 2006, 11:53 AM
Yes it was the same way when I worked T-mobile. We would ask why, then check the history, provided they hadn't had a history of number changes they would do it no questions asked, also giving you choices on numbers. I think $36.00 is ridiculous and could possibly cost me the decision to switch to them.
ralph_on_me

Nov 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
You can gets a months service for $36?

$36 is what it's been ever since I started doing this back in the days of yore. They used to waive it once as a curtesy credit, and they'll still do it for free if you're getting harrassing calls. Otherwise you're stuck with it.

There are only a finite amount of numbers per area, and once one is deactivated it's supposed to remain in a pool for the next six months before it becomes available. That keeps one persons old creditors from calling your cell phone night and day.
indecisive1

Nov 21, 2006, 12:58 PM
Just about. Tmobile offers their Get More NW 600 mins for 39.99. That is only $4.00 more than the number change charge at cingular. Granted that doesn't include taxes or fees but you can see the general point of my argument. I still just don't understand why cingular has to charge for their number changes and other carriers don't. I understand the regenerating of numbers and one can't be used once de-activated @ Tmobile. However, we still never charged for phone # changes. I can't change the fact that cingular charges entirely too much for this change, however I can totally disagree w/ it.
sangyup81

Nov 21, 2006, 2:00 PM
It's only if you change it for cosmetic reasons. I can't see how you are affected by this. If you get calls from too many people you don't know, they wouldn't charge you for changing your number. I don't see how this policy is not fair.
indecisive1

Nov 21, 2006, 2:21 PM
I didn't say unfair.. I just said a bit much. $36.00 is steep, $10 maybe $15 I can see, but $36.00, c'mon now.
xyzpdq123456

Nov 21, 2006, 6:00 PM
that is so expensive! I have changed my alltel number 4 times and they didnt charge me a thing! As long you tell them that you are changing your number for something lagitimate, they do it for free
here are the reasons i changed my numbers
first #-marajuana drug dealers calling my phone and speaking in spanish. Seriousely WTF
second #- telemarketers
third number#- credit card companies calling for richard!?!?? NOT me!!!
not2brite

Nov 22, 2006, 12:08 AM
It's amazing how many people want something for nothing. While $36 may be excessive, there is a reason for it. It is to try to reduce the amount of number changes...hence less calls to customer service or store visits, hence lower costs to the companies involved.

When a phone number is changed, the person doing it is not doing it on "volunteer time". I feel my skills, industry knowledge, and ability to BS with the best of them is worth something. If you actually owned the company, wouldn't you want to maximize any potential money making opportunity. Treat it like you own it. Gotta love capitalism!

Back to the original post though, the high cost is used as a deterrent to prevent people like several of the posters above from doing mu...
(continues)
indecisive1

Nov 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
Well if that is cingulars way to reduce calls flow into the customer service. NO Offesne to them, but that is pretty shotty business. T-mobile's approches to lessen call volumes were upgraded IVR and one call resolution, where they would research your account in depth on most calls so that you wouldn't have to call back in. Almost like anticipating your cell phone customers needs. But I guess if something is marketable people will find a way to make money off of it. Kinda like Christmas eh? Yeah you've really got to love Capitolism.
jmac32here

Nov 22, 2006, 3:18 PM
*giggles as he nods* its an interesting thought..if VZW knew about this, theyd prolly hop in...of course they may think they are getting enough income on the "you want something dowloaded to/from your phone..then pay us to do it" thing. so that fee may not be necessary...

both can be considered shotty, depending on your view.

Like sprints up in txt messaging by 5 scents, yet Sprint is also the only carrier to offer a unlimited texting to anyone for like 15 bucks. Not "its unlimited within VZW, but you only get 1000 to anyone else" for $15.

Same thing for upgrade fees and activation fees...Company's seem to like making fees. "Yea..I'll charge you $36 to flip a switch..which means I just made $36 in 30 seconds."

Lets do some mat...
(continues)
droneboy

Nov 23, 2006, 12:08 AM
technically, an inbound call to a call center costs 7-8 dollars...

So two calls in a minute would be around $15 per minute. Calls to change the number are maybe once a week, and in most cases, the fee is waived, normally only charged when a customer just wants to get a number that sounds better.
dalily21

Dec 13, 2006, 12:07 AM
Sprint doesn't charge you for changing you telephone #, however it takes up to 4 hours to complete.

VZW does charge you $15.00, depending on the circumstances. If you're receiving threatening calls or calls from private or anonymous #s, I won't charge you. If I see on your account that you have had at least 1 telephone # change I will charge you. As soon as you change your # it is instantly programmed.

T-Mobile charges for a telephone # change. My sis changed to a different area code. Then someone called in to her account claiming to be her and they got her # and was threatening her. After we called back to change it again they were going to charge us again (talked to sup, still same thing) and the call was "lost." The sup and rep were...
(continues)
CptWireless

Dec 13, 2006, 7:13 PM
Sprint's number change is instantaneous. Only on extremely rare occasions is it ever delayed.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.