Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Next big merger

SPCSVZWJeff

Jul 12, 2004, 9:09 AM
Looking at the licensed markets for the new Cingular, it will be in Verizon's best interest to add Alltel to their stable. This would fill in many holes in Verizon's arsenal of licensed markets and give them another 12 million customers.
Alltel has split off its wireless division from its wireline division. The only reason I can think of is to prepare it for sale.
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 5:38 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Looking at the licensed markets for the new Cingular, it will be in Verizon's best interest to add Alltel to their stable. This would fill in many holes in Verizon's arsenal of licensed markets and give them another 12 million customers.
Alltel has split off its wireless division from its wireline division. The only reason I can think of is to prepare it for sale.
That jives with what a Verizon corporate monkey told me a few months ago about buying Alltel outright.
towermonkey

Jul 13, 2004, 11:15 AM
muchdrama said:
SPCSVZWJeff said:
That jives with what a Verizon corporate monkey told me a few months ago about buying Alltel outright.

I heard that too. It makes sense from VZWs point of view, and to ALLTELs shareholders, I would think. This way, VZW can do away with all the reciprocal roaming agreements it has w...
(continues)
Finine

Jul 12, 2004, 5:41 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:

What do you mean, split it off? ALLTEL is still traded as one public entity, not two (as Sprint used to be).
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 5:46 PM
Finine said:
SPCSVZWJeff said:

What do you mean, split it off? ALLTEL is still traded as one public entity, not two (as Sprint used to be).
Split it off, as in "hey, we're going to sell our wireless assets and keep our wireline assets".
Finine

Jul 12, 2004, 6:13 PM
muchdrama said:
Finine said:
SPCSVZWJeff said:

Split it off, as in "hey, we're going to sell our wireless assets and keep our wireline assets".

Hmm news to me.
Finine

Jul 12, 2004, 6:15 PM
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18803 »

Ratings agency predicts wireless acquisitions for Alltel

by Dan Meyer
July 12, 2004 1:20 PM EST

In affirming its current senior unsecured and short-term debt ratings for Alltel Corp. with a stable rating outlook, Fitch Ratings said it believes the telecommunications provider could become active in acquiring smaller regional wireless operators in an attempt to broaden its rural wireless focus instead of pursuing clear spectrum acquisitions.

“Fitch believes Alltel will likely focus on pursuing additional wireless acquisitions in Tier 2 and Tier 3 markets—approximately 65 percent of current wireless operations—over the next few years although the company has shown past financial disc...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jul 12, 2004, 6:38 PM
Finine said:
http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=18803 »

Ratings agency predicts wireless acquisitions for Alltel

by Dan Meyer
July 12, 2004 1:20 PM EST

In affirming its current senior unsecured and short-term debt ratings for Alltel Corp. with a stable rating outlook, Fitch Ratings said it believes the telecommunications provider could become active in acquiring smaller regional wireless operators in an attempt to broaden its rural wireless focus instead of pursuing clear spectrum acquisitions.

“Fitch believes Alltel will likely focus on pursuing additional wireless acquisitions in Tier 2 and Tier 3 markets—approximately 65 percent of current wireless operations—over the next few years although the comp
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 7:50 PM
Nope, not from what I learned in business admin 101 it doesn't.
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 7:57 AM
rule number 1.
When companies begin to split from parents, they are usually looking to do some aquisitions of their own.
abbazabba

Jul 21, 2004, 3:22 AM
I think T-Mobile will most likely aquire TritonPCS to give them coverage in the Carolinas
Craftabc

Jul 21, 2004, 9:23 AM
I really doubt it. Being a Suncom dealer, what i hear from up above is that they are preparing to accept an offer from Cingular. Which doesnt bother me, because i sell Cingular too. And Suncoms Commision is horrible.
JDigital

Jul 21, 2004, 11:30 AM
You're way off suggesting that T-Mobile is selling to Cingular anytime in the foreseeable future. I've posted in detail on this before, and I don't want to go into it all here, but just trust me. T-Mobile is owned by a much larger German company that has many wireless divisions worldwide, and T-Mobile USA is their only profitable one. I actually think that T-Mobile is the company to look out for in the future. They will be sort of a sleeper success story while Verizon and Cingular are duking it out. I bet that within a couple of years T-Mobile is sitting in third place behind Verizon/Cingular.
southwestcomm

Jul 21, 2004, 2:26 PM
TMo profitable? They are bleeding like a stuck pig.
muchdrama

Jul 21, 2004, 4:17 PM
southwestcomm said:
TMo profitable? They are bleeding like a stuck pig.
No, you mean that they're bleeding less and less like a stuck pig. They're quickly eliminating debt.
muchdrama

Jul 21, 2004, 4:16 PM
JDigital said:
You're way off suggesting that T-Mobile is selling to Cingular anytime in the foreseeable future. I've posted in detail on this before, and I don't want to go into it all here, but just trust me. T-Mobile is owned by a much larger German company that has many wireless divisions worldwide, and T-Mobile USA is their only profitable one. I actually think that T-Mobile is the company to look out for in the future. They will be sort of a sleeper success story while Verizon and Cingular are duking it out. I bet that within a couple of years T-Mobile is sitting in third place behind Verizon/Cingular.
And then we'll see something, as they abandon the "discounter carrier" mentality.
abbazabba

Jul 23, 2004, 2:52 AM
the deal they're involved in is trading virginia coverage for the part of north carolina they don't have. This gives contiguous coverage over north and south carolina, where t-mobile has no coverage. This is why I think it makes SunCom a target by t-mobile

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.