Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 60 replies

Sprint...is there any hope?

tired170

Apr 4, 2006, 8:15 AM
Sprint seems to be falling farther behind the rest of the pack in the smartphone race and there doesn't seem to be any real attempt on their part to catch up. This is starting to be a "dealbreaker" for me as I need to get a phone and Sprints selection of the latest models is rather poor.

Is there any hope on the not too distant horizon?
kid aquarius

Apr 4, 2006, 9:53 PM
sprints struggles, dude..
you need to give up and go to cingular or verizon.
guido1869

Apr 5, 2006, 11:03 AM
is it just me or is there any category that sprint doesn't rank last in, coverage, cust service ...
nextel18

Apr 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
quart subscriber adds, voice arpu, data arpu, and Mvno and prepaid, and others. (Ev-DO for both net adds and coveraged pops and content)
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 3:11 PM
About 3 years ago Sprint sucked.
nextel18

Apr 20, 2006, 4:32 PM
cool
warlock2010

Jun 8, 2006, 1:16 AM
kmcfarlin said:

Yeah and everyday since!!!
bkw212007

Jul 4, 2006, 10:39 PM
Sprint sucked then, and Sprint sucks now. Nextel, on the other hand, is awesome. Too bad they merged with Sprint, of all companies.
southparkfreak

Jan 4, 2007, 8:16 PM
🤣 SPRINT DID SUCK IN THE PAST..NOW ITS EVEN GETTING MORE CONFUSION OVER THIS MERGER.... CAN ANY ONE TELL SPRINT R NEXTEL
GO HUMP THEMSELVES.. 🤣
jareddude42

Jan 4, 2007, 9:17 PM
yeah sure just off yourself and im sure you will get your point across
JesusSaves

May 26, 2008, 1:23 PM
What are ya'll talking about? I think that Sprint is a wonderful company. They have great phones and the customer service people really care. So...uh...can I get my check now boss???
Juanbyjuan

May 26, 2008, 2:52 PM
Ha 🤣
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
kmcfarlin said:

They still suck as far as Guido's comment, I believe he meant in the customer's perspective, not a business analyist's. Sprint is usually at the bottom of the list for awards....
CS2006

Apr 15, 2006, 3:31 PM
It's just you.
Coverage, last place goes to T-Mobile.
Call Quality, last place goes to T-Mobile, Data Speeds, Cingular and T-Mobile tie for last. (on the GSM network)
Network Capacity, last place goes to T-Mobile. Quality phones, last place goes to Verizon, Competitive price plans, last place goes to Verizon.

Sprint already owns enough 4G spectrum to deploy a successful 4G network. T-Mobile can't even deploy 3G. Cingular can, barely.

Customer service with Sprint is inconsistent at best, contradictory at worst but that will get better.

The two carriers sitting in the best position right now are Sprint and Cingular. They have the bandwidth to do a lot. Sprint already owns what others will need to bid on at the next auction. They...
(continues)
guido1869

Apr 15, 2006, 4:49 PM
actually tmobile has the second largest network

jd power and associates rated all carriers on a scale of 1 to 5,(which was stupid bc they don't ever use the one, 2 is the lowest)and ivided the country up into 6 regions

overall cust satisfaction
sprint and nex were rated seperate on this
sprint all 2s
nex 5 2s, and a 3
cingy mostly 3s
verizon, mostly 4s and a few 5s
t mobile mostly 5s and a few 4s
sprint nextel = dead last

call quality
sprint/nextel equal 3s and 4s
cingy straight 2s
t mobile mostly 5s and 4s
vzw mostly 5s and a couple 4s
cingy = last, sprint, second to last,

CS2006 said:
Call Quality, last place goes to T-Mobile

customer care raitings
not divided into regions on t...
(continues)
CS2006

Apr 15, 2006, 6:15 PM
Look at the actual network footprints and tell me T-Mobile has a larger footprint than Cingular, Sprint and Verizon. Heck they can't even roam on many carriers other than the GSM carriers.

How about the Telephia studies that show they have the lowest performing network in the industry.

Their network footprint in the West is tiny.
We'll give you the customer service thing but they have a long way to go to match the big 3 in any network category.

As for data speeds, CDMA1XRTT beats EDGE and EVDO is much much faster (bursts of 2.4mbps). I own both 1X and EDGE phones and the Sprint phone is way faster.
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 3:18 PM
On top of all of what you just posted, JD Powers and associates don't know what they are talking about.
alternals

May 18, 2006, 5:39 PM
you also have to keep in mind when your looking at a coverage map there showing you there coverage plus roaming agreements, it doesnt show what the companys actualy owns and maintains itself, square milages alltel is supposed to have the biggest but its more based on how many people the network potentialy covers.
guido1869

May 20, 2006, 2:52 PM
cingy mixes in "future coverage" with the existing coverage doesn't say when their gonna cover that area
JuLieV.

Jan 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
Can someone just tell me why sprint offers the palm treo 700 series and 650 but not the 680??
BLEDSOE

May 10, 2008, 5:43 PM
The "future" is normally a different color so as to show that it is not currently covered.
wombough

Jan 7, 2007, 10:23 PM
sprint does so does verizon you just have to pick it right on the map!
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 10:41 AM
kmcfarlin said:
On top of all of what you just posted, JD Powers and associates don't know what they are talking about.

Yes....and that's why they are probably the highest regarded, most trusted company for consumer reviews...and who the heck are you again? Haha....anyway, T-Mobile's coverage was recently rated better than Sprint's for a reason. And it's not like JD Power makes the decision themselves in an office somewhere, their rates come from the voices of thousands of consumers. GENERALLY SPEAKING, I'd take JD Power's word over the word of someone on here 9/10 times, especially here in the Rumer Mill section.

The facts speak for themselves man...look at the ratings....Sprint is pretty much ALWAYS...
(continues)
warlock2010

Jun 8, 2006, 1:22 AM
sprint owns licenses for more of the U.S. than anyone else but that doesn't mean s**t unless service is deployed in all of the license areas.
cellphonesaretools

Jul 1, 2006, 1:08 AM
guido1869, your numbers are pure rubbish compared to what I've read over thapast three years in Forbes and Reuters. Every single report for the past few years rated Nextel and Verizon neck-and-neck, right at the top in customer satisfaction and tied for lowest churn rates. Sprint had (& has) a lousy reputation, but pre-merger, Nextel was in first or second place in every customer-satisfaction category, their ARPU was tops, their revenue per employee absolutely blew the antennas of of every other wireless carrier in the US, and of course not even the mighty Verizon could touch Nextel's Direct Connect PTT. The latest JD Power report I saw (18 months ago) still rated Nextel way up there. Between our employers and our family's personal cellphone...
(continues)
guido1869

Jul 1, 2006, 7:34 PM
this years jd power is what i quoted not the last time nextel was good, i don't have the time nor motivation to go back and forth on the jd power website to explain this again but here are the consumer reports findings (i keep the issue in my store)

this years (not a year or two ago) consumer reports rated satisfaction by asking over 50,000 customers in 18 major cities
nextel was only present in 6 out of 18 and was rated dead last in all six (tied with cingy in 1 of them)

sprint was rated last in 3 of them

cingy last in 10

t-mobile tied with cingy for last in 1, second in 11, and tied for first in 1

verizon last in 0 and first in 17

us cellular also appeared in 1 city finishing first and alltel rated second in the only cit...
(continues)
kerwin7777

Jul 2, 2006, 5:30 PM
🙂 There is proof to this I read another article from JD Power and Associates titled " J.D. Power and Associates 2006 U.S. Wireless Regional Customer Satisfaction Index(CSI) Study-Volume 1". This says that Verizon and T-Mobile are tied in the 5 of 6 regions that they tested which was Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, North Central, Southwest, and West. T-Mobile was highest in all six and tied in five with Verizon. I am not explaining this entire thing so google this title I gave and read it. The difference is going to be that Verizon does have better coverage but other wise T-Mobile is a good company. 😁
cellphonesaretools

Jul 4, 2006, 9:19 AM
Well, I guess I just choose to use more sources than one issue of CR magazine; they're OK as a single data point, but CR is hardly infallible (witness many lawsuits CR has lost in the courts when challenged for their statements). Also, I stir in a large amount of real-world experience (mine and the entire company's - 500 people), not just a magazine or two. All of the wireless carriers have strengths and weaknesses, none are perfect and none are villians. Personal and corporate users have been very pleased with Verizon and equally pleased with Nextel, but unfortunately T-Mobile and Cingy have had such poor coverage and poor call quality it has caused a LOT of grief. I can't explain the disparity either, but our worldwide experiences (persona...
(continues)
guido1869

Jul 5, 2006, 10:36 AM
going off of my personal experiance verizon is the best and tmobile is second, nextel has horrible coverage and so does cingy and sprint isn't too bad

if for some reason i couldn't get or keep verizon then tmobile for me is the only other company i would take
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 3:16 PM
Most complaints on service:
1. Cingular/AT&T Wireless
2. T-Mobile
3. Nextel
4. Sprint PCS
5. ALLTEL
6. Cellular One
7. Verizon Wireless
8. USCC

Most complaints on billing:
2. Cellular One
3. T-Mobile
4. Sprint PCS
5. ALLTEL
6. Verizon Wireless
7. Nextel
8. USCC

Most complaints overall:
2. Cellular One
3. T-Mobile
4. Sprint PCS
5. Nextel
6. ALLTEL
7. Verizon Wireless
8. USCC

Wireless complaints per 1 million customers according to Federal Communications Commission data
crxtreme89

Apr 21, 2006, 4:26 PM
CS2006 said:
It's just you.
Coverage, last place goes to T-Mobile.
Call Quality, last place goes to T-Mobile, Data Speeds, Cingular and T-Mobile tie for last. (on the GSM network)
Network Capacity, last place goes to T-Mobile. Quality phones, last place goes to Verizon, Competitive price plans, last place goes to Verizon.

Sprint already owns enough 4G spectrum to deploy a successful 4G network. T-Mobile can't even deploy 3G. Cingular can, barely.

Customer service with Sprint is inconsistent at best, contradictory at worst but that will get better.

The two carriers sitting in the best position right now are Sprint and Cingular. They have the bandwidth to do a lot. Sprint already owns what others will need to
(continues)
warlock2010

Jun 8, 2006, 1:19 AM
Sprint may have the so called 4g licenses but they don't have the money to deploy it without going bankrupt in seriously in debt (further than they already are).
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
warlock2010 said:
Sprint may have the so called 4g licenses but they don't have the money to deploy it without going bankrupt in seriously in debt (further than they already are).

Now comes a little truth....
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
guido1869 said:
is it just me or is there any category that sprint doesn't rank last in, coverage, cust service ...

Sing it!!!!
Big Poppa

Apr 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
When Sprint starts using all the 2.4ghz spectrum they have, I a sure there will be a slew of PDA phones. I'f i'm not mistaken, Sprint plans on using the spectrum primarily for data use only, and all the voice usage will remain on the 1900mhz spectrum. Before Sprint and Nextel merged, both companies bought up a crap load of the 2.4 ghz spectrum. more than any one carrier.

Sprint has some BIG plans. They are just bidding thier time.
crxtreme89

Apr 21, 2006, 4:35 PM
OMG here we go again. Mine's bigger than your's!

You know what I have come to the conclusion that none of us know who is the best or who is 1st 2nd or 3rd. We're not the ones out there testing every service in every part of the country. Some claims are real and some are BS. But we'll never know unless we are the ones who test it. JD Powers is a huge asset to any company when it comes to tests.

Another conspiracy theory:

What if these companies pay JD powers or whomever, to state that they are #1?

Reactions? Talk amongst yourselves.
sonyluver30

Apr 28, 2006, 6:08 AM
Sprint will NEVER be as huge as as Cingular, Verizon or All-Tell; but they are buying a couple of little wireless companies & I think they will survive in the long run.
Jennyboo

May 18, 2006, 5:32 PM
Alltel?? Am I missing something here?? I was pretty sure it went Cingular, Verizon, Sprint/Nextel for largest companies, I wouldn't even know where Alltel would fit in.
baristakid

Jun 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
I have to put in my opinion on this one. Overall, I have had a sprint, cingular, verizon, and used an old at&t, t-mobile, and us cellular phones. Overall I now carry a Sprint for calling in town and data use, and for my travel and outlying area use, I use my cingular. When it comes down to it, right now Verizon and Sprint have data and streaming content down (although Sprint does it a whole lot better, cheaper, and faster) but Cingular has started the roll out of UMTS which will surpass EVDO in bandwidth, plus the technology lends itself to easy transition into video conferencing...just do a search for the UMTS phones coming out in Europe and Asia, specifically the Sony Ericsson W850. These phones are starting to have special cameras bui...
(continues)
konduit

Jul 4, 2006, 5:08 PM
AMEN! i spend all day talking people into switching cell service, every company has tehre ups and downs, that is what my job is about. if there was a single company that was better than the rest my job would not be needed. everyone would already have that service.
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 AM
baristakid said:
When it comes down to it, right now Verizon and Sprint have data and streaming content down (although Sprint does it a whole lot better, cheaper, and faster).

I guess the best answer to the question which is best is that it depends. If you want a cheap plan and don't care about national coverage or cool technology, T-mobile.

If you just plain want the most reliable network nationwide, Cingular.

Sprint has the same coverage per roaming agreements (and it will get better with them expanding the agreements with alltel)

when you're in a sprint area, it almost always works better than verizon

cingular has rollover, blockquote>

I'd like to comment on some of these:

1. Sprint may have chea
(continues)
tiffhawk01

Jan 16, 2007, 5:55 PM
Cingular
Verizon
Sprint/Nextel
Alltel
T-Mobile
And then all the other little companies...
emouth1

Jan 16, 2007, 3:13 PM
I can barely comprehend your ignorance of the wireless industry.

KTHX
Stac147

Aug 16, 2006, 3:14 PM
Sprint will offer the Motorola Q at the end of the year.
nextel18

Aug 16, 2006, 4:14 PM
You are a little bit late since it was mentioned a while ago that this would happen.

😁
PhoneWizzz

Jun 11, 2008, 12:58 AM
The better question is why would you want the Q I would never sell that POS. The other day we had 4 out of the box DOA right in a row....seriously 4.
Jorin

Jan 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
WOW! What a way to start a b!+¢#fest man! All I have to say is do what works for you. I have a Treo 700p right now & its the best phone I've ever used! I agree that Sprint's smartphone selection could use at least one or two more options, but... In the end we're dealing with 3 main OS': Palm, Windows, & Blackberry, which Sprint has each. So what more are we really askin for? I guess it won't be enough til we have one of these same OS' in an "ULTRA THIN" body, that resembles the latest MP3 player, and has a catchy name! I dunno maybe the "FLAPJACK" or "CARAMEL!"
southparkfreak

Jan 5, 2007, 9:50 PM
well .. i think thiers hope sprint just bought out nextel. now sprint has alot of work to accomplish..first of all these hybrid phones.. can u anwser the question most people trying to seek but cannot find.i dont wanna be rude and ignorant.. i am so pissed off at them b/c
they dont have the resources to accomplish it
why invent a hybrid phone but service is lousy,
they should have tested it more, when problems
come fix it.i am tryin my hardest to understand why sprint bought out nextel????
MERGER IS THE PROBLEM????
Jorin

Jan 7, 2007, 4:17 PM
Have you used the hybrid? Its great! Its not perfect, but let's try not to forget this is the first one. If you were expecting your signal strength to be better after the merger, with or without the hybrid, you need to do some research. Oh and by the way, you're clearly angry with Sprint but... you should have read the original post before going into your little tantrum, HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SMARTPHONE SELECTION!
New_2_T-Mobile

Jan 7, 2007, 8:15 PM
Nope there in no hope!!
techibo2025

Jan 15, 2007, 6:31 PM
There is hope, but I dont think you are going to like my prediction. I predict Disney will soon buy out Sprint and Nextel, and they will offer the first PDA phone with Goofy's face on it. If you dont mind speaking into a dogs mouth you will probably be ok with this phone. In addition they will have a mickey mouse video phone(with cartoons built in) and a Donald Duck slider phone that quacks when it rings. All of these will probably be made by samsung or kyocera. Sprint would benefit from a take over like this they would be a profitible company and much needed larger exposure for Disney would make them the number 3 cellpone company in the US.
wombough

Jan 15, 2007, 7:32 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
That was pretty funny. Nice dream! Or nightmare
Jessie2002

May 1, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hi Not very many People Know but there is two new phone that are in the Beta Test Right now and hot ot come out soon. Now just to let people know the two phones are not going to replace the Nextel phones at this time, but is for people that like the Nextel radio and are in an area that has no covrage for the nextel phone can get the PRO-200 and PRO-700. Now just to let you all know this phone has what a friend of mine call the High Power Push To Talk phone's. Aslso know as HPPTT. They use only the Sprint network and they told me that it is Direct Connect on Sprint network. I dont have any more than that and I dont know when they are going to come out. When I do i will post it on here.
SoCalVDub

May 2, 2008, 12:13 PM
This is a little old information isnt it ??!! There are more than the 2 you listed and phone scoop even has pictures of them all explaining what they will be capable of doing ???
I_need_a _new_job

May 9, 2008, 6:23 PM
Sprint needs to get rid of Nextel and then they will be just fine. Sprint had alot higher ratings before they merged with Nextel....Nextel had the worst customer service ratings in all of the United States...and that's all customer service...call centers, stores, resteraunts, and so on and so forth..Nextel rated the worst. I was called a B*&ch by a Nextel cmr care rep once. Talk about horrible service.
jrfdsf

May 10, 2008, 7:11 AM
I_need_a _new_job said:
Sprint needs to get rid of Nextel and then they will be just fine. Sprint had alot higher ratings before they merged with Nextel....Nextel had the worst customer service ratings in all of the United States...and that's all customer service...call centers, stores, resteraunts, and so on and so forth..Nextel rated the worst. I was called a B*&ch by a Nextel cmr care rep once. Talk about horrible service.

Uh, hate to be the one to tell you this but: this post is completely wrong.

Nextel had the BEST customer service, churn rate, and ARPU in the industry pre-merger, while Sprint was either at or near the bottom. Nextel also had the fewest complaints filed with the FCC in the area of ...
(continues)
brianm96

Jun 17, 2008, 11:29 AM

Nextel had the BEST customer service, churn rate, and ARPU in the industry pre-merger, while Sprint was either at or near the bottom.

Wrong again........

JD Power has rated T-Mobile at the top of the list for years before the Sprextel merger in terms of customer service. Nextel NEVER had the best customer service according to ANY major group like JD Power.

However, they did have the lowest churn rate and highest ARPU premerger and its clear as to why - they typically targeted the high usage business customers(many in construction, etc) whereas everyone else usually went after the consumer.

End result: Nextel had less customers than everyone else (except for regionals like Alltel) but their customers...
(continues)

May 10, 2008, 5:57 PM
Before we merged life was much different. since the merge in december 2004 we've adapted to sprint's policy. There has been some major improvements since Dan Hesse has become CEO. Sprint is the only company to offer an unlimited plan with unlimited everything compared to other companies that offer unlimited minutes for 99.99 a month but you still have to add texting and data usage which ends up costing more money. Also, the understanding of proration when changing features mid-cycle. Sprint bill's one month in advance which is standard for most cellular companies these days. Customer's may be pissed about there experience with sprint, but if you pay attention and read policys for other companies there is a lot of similarities. I am personall...
(continues)

May 10, 2008, 5:59 PM
Also another thing, Wi-max no other company will offer this feature for data usage for at least 2 more years, and that deal was made with google and comcast. those are some companies on the uprise.
tcgirl

May 26, 2008, 5:35 PM
I must say I agree with this..There have been a lot of improvements and there are more to come since Dan Hesse took over. Sprint mya always seem to be the worst b/c that is all they have been said to be in the past and no ones perspective will change. sprint will always have a bad rap but truthfully they are not that bad...the plans are pretty good and quite similar to the ones of att/cingular except sprint does one better than att/cingular by offering their customers on family plans to have the second line free..i myself have att/cingular b/c they are the only ones in my area. i have to pay 9.99 for my second line and my main price plan is the same cost that sprints is...59.99 for 550 min...and the unlimited plan sprint offers is better tha...
(continues)
Xfort

May 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
Im not taking the time to read all these posts but I really wonder what makes you think "Sprint is falling behind the pack with Smart phones"?? Lol, sprint is AHEAD of the pack with smart phone, Mogul, Touch, Touch 2, Mogul 2, Instinct, Curve, countless other blackberries, Centro and tons of other Palm phones, Treo 700 windows, Samsung World Roam smart phones, the list could literally go on and on and on..... Sprint is pretty much ahead of EVERY carrier smart phone wise, even though Verizon has a good line up too, all the companies have their perks, just whoever pays the most to get the phone released first...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.