Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 16 replies

AT&T going CDMA?

longsleeves

Feb 20, 2006, 6:02 PM
as you know Cingular bought the AT&T client list and name for 7 years the actual cash transaction was this past October and this coming October I believe AT&T gets the use of its name again, from clients who have come here I heard that AT&T will reenter the wireless market but as a CDMA provider not GSM does anyone have anymore information?
dave73

Feb 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
I heard while AT&T was their own company (before SBC bought out the AT&T long distance service & Cingular buying the wireless service) that they were going to re-enter the wireless service business again, using Sprint's network. Now that SBC bought AT&T (both the wireless & long-distance service) and renamed themselves AT&T (corporate only, not the wireless portion), they will more than likely re-enter the wireless business on their own network. Possibly in some markets, drop the Cingular name in favor of the AT&T name. Now how that'll play out with Bell South having a small stake in Cingular Wireless is unknown yet, but I see the Cingular name being dropped in some markets, and I believe markets like Detriot, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianap...
(continues)
colione112

Feb 21, 2006, 10:46 AM
The Cingular name won't be dropped, unless the customer buys bundled service(home, cell, etc) It works the same way with Bellsouth. It's always been like this... one bill, one name. Cingular still gets credit for the activations, revenue, etc. It's basically to simplify billing for att and bellsouth's home users.

Bottom line, business as usual at all Cingular stores. No name changes.
colione112

Mar 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
Hmmm things have changed, and it seems since SBC bought ATT, and now they are buying Bellsouth, Cingy stores will adapt the ATT Wireless name...
evilbstrd666

Mar 13, 2006, 8:07 PM
I have an idea.

Throw all the names you can on one building. The AT+T Cingular BellSouth store! Then the employees can choose from one of three uniforms! 🙂
colione112

Mar 13, 2006, 10:37 PM
lol how bout Bell AT Cingular 🙂
nextel18

Mar 14, 2006, 10:21 AM
get rid of the cingular name.. 🙂
celesticatfl

Mar 14, 2006, 1:40 PM
C-ATT-BS 🤣
evilbstrd666

Mar 15, 2006, 6:57 PM
Nice. 🤣
Rich Brome

Feb 22, 2006, 11:27 AM
That was the plan. AT&T (the landline company, not to be confused with the former AT&T Wireless) was going to re-enter the market as an MVNO after AT&T Wireless was fully absorbed by Cingular.

Then SBC (60% owner of Cingular) bought AT&T and renamed themselves AT&T. Now that the new AT&T is a parent company of Cingular, there's no sense in starting a new MVNO to compete with themselves, so that CDMA MVNO plan is dead as can be.
yossi296_65

Mar 13, 2006, 1:19 AM
thank God
evilbstrd666

Mar 13, 2006, 8:08 PM
If you change names often enough, then the customers won't know what they have....

Then when they get mad/tired/want new service, you can sell them the same service with a different name.....

Or maybe this is a good thing.
averagejoe

Mar 17, 2006, 12:48 AM
Well the word we got direct from good ole' Stan, my boss ultimately is that end of the year -the merger att buying out Bellsouth, will all be renamed under the ATT banner.Now my guess since it was not quite a good thing going back to att wireless after 15 months of drilling into the customers "no you are are not att wireless you are cingular" for them to go back to att wireless.

I personally think till they announce it either way think it will be "ATT mobile",or "att pcs" a division of att corp.I know cingular hates when you say cingular wireless, just cingular, so it stands to reason.
Argonnj

Mar 17, 2006, 2:58 PM
I don't know about you but the name AT&T doesn't exactly instill a sense of confidence. I would be less inclined to buy a cigular phone, if they changed names. At&T stirs up thoughts of a big bloated company thats wants to be involved in every aspect of communications, but excels in none.
tifferzb2001

Mar 14, 2006, 2:31 PM
You think that's crazy Bellsouth will be merging with the new AT&T by the end of this year. And yes, Cingular, AT&T, SBC and Bellsouth will all be one company-AT&T
evilbstrd666

Mar 15, 2006, 6:58 PM
Ah, maybe in a few years the Government will try to split them again.
dave73

Mar 16, 2006, 9:55 PM
I don't know how many phone companies are out there that would make AT&T a true monopoly, but AT&T would still have to buy Verizon (formed by Bell Atlantic & GTE), Embarq (formerly Sprint), NITCO (serves Newton & Jasper Counties, plus Lake of the Four Seasons & Hebron communities in Indiana, Qwest, & Cincinnati Bell to name a few. Since NITCO is a rural phone company, there's a chance they might get bought out by either Verizon or at&t eventually. I see it possible because in Benton County Indiana, AT&T serves that county, and their population is even less than Jasper County in Indiana. Rensselaer & Demotte are growing in population, and more than likely, at&t will want to serve that area.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.