Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Sprint/Nextel Coverage

verizonhtr

Jan 30, 2006, 1:53 PM
I was recently told by a local Nextel rep that in 6 to 8 months wherever Sprint has coverage that Nextel will also have coverage. Sprint customer service says they don't have any info about this. Can anyone help me?
ButtaKnife

Jan 30, 2006, 2:20 PM
What I had heard was the network transition is going to be going on through 2006 but may not be complete until into 2007. This was a while back though and I have not heard any updates on estimated times.
johnnybmagic

Jan 30, 2006, 4:02 PM
I find that hard to believe since the two companies operate on a completely different network, but I suppose it is possible with a lot of work and a lot of money.
Insert Witty Name Here

Jan 30, 2006, 6:45 PM
I personally think that rep was pulling false information out of his butt but hey, that's just my opinion.
dave73

Jan 31, 2006, 4:28 AM
The only thing I heard was that some of the next Nextel phones will work on both CDMA & IDEN, so Nextel users will be able to use their phones on Sprint's network where Nextel doesn't have coverage, and I believe allow CDMA roaming where neither carrier has coverage. Sprint has their work cut out for them to integrate the 2 networks.
snapps

Jan 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
I currently work in a Sprint Nextel store and i have been told that they are working on combining the two networks into using the same towers. They have been saying mid 2007 as of now, but it is an extremely expensive project that they have in front of them so when it will happen isnt a definite as of right now.

If you have a nextel right now and are unhappy with the service you get you could try switching to a sprint phone. The main difference is that there is no direct connect with sprint. However the monthly plans are usually cheaper. Also there would be no cancellation fee since sprint now owns nextel.

ill post more as soon as i find anything else out.
dca

Jan 31, 2006, 12:41 PM
Sprint has ReadyLink (which is DC), though, I wouldn't recommend it...
dca

Jan 31, 2006, 12:42 PM
I haven't heard of any integration what-so-ever being started yet. The only thing I've seen & heard is that they're still pumping money into each network (iDEN & CDMA) separartely according to capacity/coverage concerns made within each company well before the merge...
Wireless Consultant

Jan 31, 2006, 1:07 PM
I heard Sprint purchased a paging network to use the towers for IDEN Nextel.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.