Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 81 replies

Is Verizon going to pass Cingular in 2006?

AgentOrange

Dec 30, 2005, 8:15 PM
My Verizon agent buddies are being encouraged to grow while Cingular agents are closing locations. Can Radio Shack save Cingular or is Cingular going to get passed after paying 40 Billion for AT&T? That would be humiliating! What do you think, will Verizon pass Cingular?
freedomrep

Dec 30, 2005, 8:39 PM
By current stats Cing.897,000 net adds Vzw 1.9 million net adds YES VERIZON will surpass Cingular as longer as our increase and their decrease continues at the same pace!
AgentOrange

Nov 2, 2006, 12:41 AM
Verizon is stating they did pass Cingular as the largest carrier by revenues, Cingular has almost two million more customers. Who is really number 1?
Wireless Consultant

Nov 2, 2006, 10:54 AM
Cingular still has more customers but Verizon is catching up.

Verizon service is better quality.

http://www.wirelessconsultant.net »
darth8ball

Nov 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
VZW also has had the VCast in place for longer then Cingular has has EV-DO on demand available. This is where most of their higher revenues come from. Also the have used the trick of licensing device manufacturer's into creation devices that are sold as the Verizon CDM ### series. The sales of those devices will go to the profits of Verizon not the manufacturer. Corporate tricks to alter numbers for tax or advertising reasons.
z34007

Dec 20, 2006, 9:50 PM
"Also the have used the trick of licensing device manufacturer's into creation devices that are sold as the Verizon CDM ### series. The sales of those devices will go to the profits of Verizon not the manufacturer."

Are you serious? Does anyone think these phones make that much of a difference in revenue?

And since you are comparing VZW to Cingular, Cingular also has their own branded phones. I counted 4 on their website.
Sprint_GSO_NC

Dec 1, 2006, 2:08 PM
Flat out no one can compete with verizon's handset line up right now, but in my opinion cingulars is at the bottom so w/o some new phones deffinitly, and cingular is the only carrier w/o a strong media network no TV, or radio.
jmac32here

Dec 1, 2006, 2:54 PM
Hrm...actually Cingular is partnered with MobiTV and MobiRadio, available on many of their 2.5/3G Handsets.

So therefore they have TV and radio. Not to mention the addition to their own Video and Music Services rolling out with the HSDPA Network.

Sides, there are some really good phones coming out into their lineup. (They chose the D807 over the Chocolate due to issues that rose up in Asia with the touch-sensitive keys. The issues were minor, but the touch-sensitive keys seemed to die out after some usage.)
lefteyeiu2006

Dec 31, 2005, 2:35 PM
Without a doubt Verizon will surpass Cingular! Cingular just can't compete with Verizon!
cingcing

Jan 1, 2006, 6:02 PM
I work for Cigular, and I hope they do pass us. I think it will be a major wake-up call for the brass in my company. Then maybe they will get rid of some of our shotty business practices. Cingular bought thier way to #1 and now that they are, they seem to be doing everything they can to lose that distinction. I'm sorry, but if you pay us like McDonalds employees, that's exactly what you are going to attract. Since AT&T was bought (along with me) they have done nothing but rip off; employees, indirect agents, customers, manufacturers, and everyone else they think they can get over on.

Why do I still work here?
Wireless Consultant

Jan 2, 2006, 12:59 PM
As a person whom sells both carriers and uses them personally. Verizon is a better service to use and sell.

I am getting better commissions and my service is better with Verizon. I am In the South Florida market

Its easier to sell Verizon now.

http://wirelessconsultant.net »
KrazyJoe

Jan 2, 2006, 4:07 PM
I worked for Cingular for several years. I have since then left the company and now work for an authorized agent of Verizon. When I first started with Cingular (back when it started) the company was great, doing everything they can to please the customer and employee. Since then they've seem to continue in a trend of caring less and less by the day.

Being an agent of Verizon, I've noticed Verizon is doing the opposite. They try more and more to make things better.

With these facts and experiences in mind, I do believe that Verizon could very well pass Cingular in 2006.
liltex2010

Jan 3, 2006, 7:32 PM
Ive been a manager of an indirect store for about 3 months now and ive had AT&T for the past 4 years until i switched to verizon about a week ago and im finding that the serice is much better...Although I sell verizon, there are a few strong points that cingular has over verizon! For instance, cingular phones have MUCH better features than verizon phones, maybe because they get horrible reception so they make up for it but offering phones like the rokr that influence more music than talking on the phone...Verizon's bluetooth is crippled so you can only use bluetooth for those ugly headsets that barely stay on your ear meanwhile with my att phone i was doing file transfers all day long with buddies!
GO VERIZON IN 06
chocolateman85006

Dec 18, 2006, 8:25 PM
Verizon will pass Cingular for sure soley on the reception (in my opinion, anyway).
geekgrl

Jan 4, 2006, 11:14 AM
quick question aren't the cingular employees unionized ??
cellmonkey

Jan 8, 2006, 10:19 AM
yes Cingular so far is the only unionized company
AgentOrange

Jan 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
When does Verizon announce their fourth quarter net adds?
waywardcell

Apr 23, 2006, 1:48 AM
AgentOrange said:
When does Verizon announce their fourth quarter net adds?

not sure when but I have seen them and they are huge ... record type numbers.
AgentOrange

Jan 23, 2006, 10:37 PM
Tomorrow is Cingulars reporting. Does anybody know when Verizon reports?
sacdude

Jan 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
verizon will be reporting end year results on jan 26
Jayshmay

May 9, 2006, 9:24 PM
Cingular Wireless added 1.7 million net subscribers in Q1, giving it a total base of 55.8 million cellular/PCS subscribers at quarter's end. This compares to 1.4 million net additions a year ago.

http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwidth/newnetworksa ... »

Perhaps by the end of 06 Cingular will surpass 60 million! ! ! ! !
nextel18

May 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
verizon added 1.7 million also.
nextel18

Jan 24, 2006, 9:10 AM
I think that Verizon will pass cingular at the end of 2006.
cingyagent

Jan 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
I would like to see the Verizon reporting for the KY markets....I think I may disagree with them "taking" Cingular. Atleast in that market.
dubbs419

Jan 24, 2006, 2:09 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Standard & Poor's lowered its debt rating for Verizon Communications Inc. and placed AT&T Inc. and BellSouth Corp. on CreditWatch for possible downgrade, citing an accelerating loss of customers by the nation's three biggest telephone companies to rival services from cable TV providers.

``The potential loss of customers to cable comes on the heels of the continuing loss of wireline voice customers to wireless substitution"

Cingular said it finished 2005 with 54.1 million subscribers. It had a net increase of 1.8 million subscribers in the fourth quarter.

Cingular held on to the No. 1 spot in subscribers. But figures released Tuesday by Verizon Wireless show the No. 2 provider is fast gaining on Cingular. Verizon Wire...
(continues)
nextel18

Jan 24, 2006, 2:23 PM
that is ok becuase you can have your opinion, but my opinion is stating that verizon will take cingular for that number 1 spot in 2006. (nationwide. ie total subscriber)
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 1:49 AM
Not exactly a leap, there. But Cingular is improving in many ways; but it won't be enough or quickly enough.
nextel18

Feb 22, 2006, 8:14 AM
perhaps.. cingular has a long way to go to try to get the same pace that verizon is getting with churn and net adds. it will be difficult for them but it should be interesting.
Scotch

Feb 23, 2006, 12:00 AM
That it will. But as I said, I don't see Cingular improving enough, quickly enough. Verizon will pass them; question is when. I say 2007.
nextel18

Feb 23, 2006, 11:55 AM
"I don't see Cingular improving enough, quickly enough"

i agree.

"question is when"

well as of 2005;

cingular has: 54.1 million

verizon has: 51.3 million

so that means cingular is leading by 2.8 million.

total net adds in 2005:

Verizon= 7.50 million
Cingular= 5.06 million

which shows verizon leads by 2.44 million.

so just based on those numbers at the end of 2006 verizon should be only .36 million behind cingular, which makes your premise of 2007 correct. (2.80 million - 2.44 million= .36 million. my calculation)

----------

Time will tell, and i will be keeping my eye on this situation as those 2 report their earnings in 2006.
AgentOrange

Feb 23, 2006, 11:57 PM
Looks like Cingular bet on the wrong horse again! RadioShack is closing 500-700 stores. That's got to hurt. Maybe agent distribution isn't so bad after all.
alejandro

Feb 24, 2006, 12:11 AM
are you named after the chemical or the band that is named after the chemical?
AgentOrange

Feb 26, 2006, 9:46 PM
That's pretty funny. If I had to pick one, it would be the band but actually Cingular calls the legacy Cingular agents Orange agents and the AT&T agents Blue agents. Sometimes I feel like the agent channel is being sprayed by the chemical and left to shrivel up and die. Check out this recent quote from Cingular CEO Stanley Sigman made Feb. 17,2006 "From Cingular's standpoint,Radio Shack gives it an opportunity to eliminate less productive distribution channels"
nextel18

Feb 24, 2006, 9:40 AM
exactly! radio shack got rid of verizon for cingular? lol they are crazy!!
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 1:47 AM
Hold on to your hat. Verizon is looking to fill in the gaps in eastern KY.
crxtreme89

Jan 24, 2006, 6:13 PM
Well, I can speak for the Colorado Market. Verizon will take over this Market in 2006.
AgentOrange

Jan 31, 2006, 10:38 AM
Where can you find who is in the lead state by state? I don't know who has the most market share in Texas and our GM tells us nothing.
sonyluver30

Apr 28, 2006, 6:05 AM
Well; I don't know if they will or not. But I do know since Cingular has gotten their towers re-routed through Shreveport; I'm a very HAPPY Cingular customer. Their customer service isn't worth a CRAP. But I DON'T see that changing; unfortunately. 😕
wzone

May 4, 2006, 7:34 PM
😁 Yes we passed Cingular for the 1st quarter so far! I think you need more than Radio Shack to keep your head above water. I actually feel bad for the Cingular reps who have to deal with RS now!
CS2006

May 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Cingular does not need saving. It is also very likely that Sprint Nextel could concievably pass Verizon. It is not totally unlikely with the upcoming acquisitions of the remaining affiliates and Nextel Partners.

There is a reason that RadioShack left Verizon, because Verizon was not seen to be the strongest player going forward. In the markets Verizon is strong in they can be very formidable, but the markets where they are not entrenched they are totally vulnerable. We are porting customers daily from Verizon for the reasons Radioshack left them, No flexible plans or rollover, no 7PM or 6PM nights, low quality phones, few customer service options for customers with phone problems and expensive features.

Verizon will not pass Cingular ...
(continues)
Cullowhee

May 5, 2006, 5:27 PM
In our local market, we have no Verizon Wireless representation now that Radio Shack doesn't carry them. All other carriers are represented (except T-Mo). Does anyone famaliar with Verizon beleive this could be a biz opportunity (central Fla, town of 8,000)?
wzone

May 6, 2006, 6:58 PM
Sure if you want to open up your own indirect location such as a franchise and go under contract with VZ..Does VZ have coverage in that area?
wzone

May 6, 2006, 6:57 PM
Please tell me you have been tracking KPI's to know how well Verizon has been doing. Radio Shack cost Verizon a lot of money. Upgrading people when they could not be upgraded.. how that was possible, I have no idea. They made so many mistakes to so many accounts.

Do you know how much Cingular has to pay at&t?
You are porting #s daily from Verizon. Do you think Verizon is not porting in from other carriers?

I would love to see Nextel go above another company. Their coverage sucks. Once they start investing more money into cell sites, we will see.

If I could post the KPI - key performance indicator, I could show you our percentage of churn, revenue for one quarter, the amount of customers we have acquired from other companies, et...
(continues)
PapaSmrf07

May 7, 2006, 7:33 PM
does Cingular still have the greatest coverage area because I haven't heard them boast that in any of their adds lately. Is is now Verizon?
Jayshmay

May 9, 2006, 9:38 PM
The recent ads I've been hearing Cingular has been claiming that it has the least amount of dropped calls.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/04/23/t ... »

I have been a Cingular customer for over 4yrs, and the only other carrier I'd consider would be Helio.
verizonmatt

May 8, 2006, 2:34 AM
Well Verizon Wireless has ported in more #'s than any other carrier has!!! Also they have lost the least amount of any carrier and continue to drop churn rate to industry low. If you have ever used verizon and cingular they are like night and day! Verizon has the most reliable signal available form any carrier I've had them all including cingular and that gsm is so unreliable got full service now and oh look damn no service. hate that technology. Verizon rocks and will pass cingular by end 2006 or 1st quater 2007
Protege

May 8, 2006, 7:36 AM
Funny how you also have "verizon" in your user name. 🤣

So you mean to tell me that Verizon has the best network in any given city in the country on any given day? Also, do they report the number of customer ported in on their quarterly financial reports?
CS2006

May 10, 2006, 4:23 PM
On the customers from other companies thing I'm sure all of the carriers could say similar things.
As for the upgrading of customers that should not have been upgraded unfortunately some unscrupulous sales associates and managers found loopholes in the systems and utilized them. Usually it was calling Verizon CS and having the dates changed by the CS rep. The companies changed that almost two years ago. With our policies it can be a termination offense to fraudulantly upgrade or add lines. It is monitored very closely on a daily basis.

In many markets Verizon has been the only carrier with credible coverage. Now that others are building out aggressively it is no longer true. Basically people chose Verizon by default, nothing else worke...
(continues)
i can here me now

May 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
It is going to be hard for Cingular to keep up with VZW while they are spending millions changing their name (in part back) to AT&T Wireless. They are already having a hard time.
celldude22

May 16, 2006, 8:27 AM
well...cingular has 56 million customers, and regardless of what anyone thinks, cingular does have the largest network in the US. Cingluar has unlimited mobile2mobile and there is the obvious roll-over minutes. There are no roaming or long-distance charges with their plans. Cingular will be coming out with the UMTS/ HSDPA technology all over the US in no time at all. So I dont think that Verizon will pass Cingular whatsoever.
z34007

May 16, 2006, 8:57 AM
No roaming or long distance?

Unlimited mobile to mobile?

Sign me up with such revolutionary services.
beyond

May 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
"regardless of what anyone thinks, cingular does have the largest network in the US."

That's odd that all the experts seem to disagree with this statement!
celldude22

May 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
I would really like to know what experts are disputing this point. Verizon advertises that they have the most "reliable" coverage area not the largest coverage area. Cingular has 56,000,000 customers and Verizon has approx. 51,000,000. Cingular has coverage in all US mainland states along with Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. Not to mention that Cingular and Verizon run on 2 completely different technologies, Cingular - GSM, UMTS/HSDPA. Verizon - TDMA,CDMA
verizoncellularsales

May 17, 2006, 12:53 PM
I will say one thing. Verizon wireless is dedicated to thier customers. As and agent I take extra care of my customers. If you have ever talked to someone that has had a wireless phone 90 percent of the time they have a horror story. In the alabama market alone verzon is filling up the gaps in talledega clay county randolph county wedowee and roanake. These place i have name no cellular serivce gets coverage in not even cingular. Verizon will have this covered by the end of august we are told. I turn away probly 5 to 10 customer a week who want to start up brand new service with verizon because we dont have coverage there. Yes verizon will pass cingular. By consumer reports verizon is the top rated cell phone carrier in the united s...
(continues)
AgentOrange

Sep 2, 2006, 4:17 PM
Looks like Cingular is going to remain numero uno!
GeekdromeFAN

Sep 4, 2006, 10:20 AM
i feel that the cdma network is a little behind the world. especially for the world traveler. that is why people go to cingular. cingular knows that the future is in GSM network. THE WORLD use GSM, not CDMA. also every time i see a verizon phone i am amazed at the menu. they allllllllll look the same. freaking nazi's. i'd rather go with a carrier who thinks about the future then stays in the past and keeps every one the same. i recently ordered a m600i sony ericsson and i KNOW i will be happy. i don't have to deal with the crap i would with verizon or sprint. all i have to do is put my sim card in and i am good to go. i have no need for customer service.
Wireless Consultant

Sep 4, 2006, 12:02 PM
Having the menu look the same helps the older generation and the not so tech savy.

The phones have so many features now, why confuse people with different menus?

CDMA wireless technology is the best here in the USA for reception and data speeds.

I believe CDMA will be the best national wireless technology for at least 4-5 more years.
GeekdromeFAN

Sep 4, 2006, 11:33 PM
it is true that CDMA is great here in the states. But over all it is behind the times. i am not saying the Cingular and t-mobile are and better, they are also behind the times. but over all we stink compared to countries like japan and the u.k. and even africa. we are SO far behind. last i heard G4 is about to come out over seas and we are still stuck trying to learn to use 3g and wcdma1xevo, whatever it is called.
all i know those who use the digital network are stuck here in the states. a hand full of countries have digital network support. it is going to be dead technology, in a few years.

I travel alot and i need something that will work here in the states and over seas. 😁
GodHatesMe

Sep 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
I seriously sick and tired of f*cking hearing people b*tch about the user interface. Seriously, do you have nothing better to complain about than the f*cking menu style? Who cares? What matters is how the phone performs and what features it has.

At least if you're going to whine about something, do it about something that matters. I honestly could give a $hit less if the menu was hot pink as long as it was a good phone.
heyheyhey

Nov 28, 2006, 8:25 PM
speaking of features, do you enjoy having obex disabled? or how about paying to send pictures to yourself?
smorris

Nov 2, 2006, 11:57 AM
Having worked for both sides of the fence, as a corporate employee (I'll leave you guessing as to who I'm working for now.), I can tell you a few things about the little Verizon vs. Cingular debacle.

Verizon Wireless wants customers who are intelligent, with excellent credit. Intelligent people with excellent credit have money to spend on (data, superpriced bluetooth headsets) things that make Verizon Wireless tons of money. Hence, they are the wealthiest phone company (with the wealthiest customer base) in the United States. They are privately held, and will likely remain that way indefinately.

Cingular Wireless is designed to be more friendly to everyone, and give EVERYONE an option to get a phone through them. "GO" phones are an exc...
(continues)
AgentOrange

Nov 28, 2006, 5:47 PM
Logically, it does not make sense to spend $40 billion and let Verizon pass you with out even putting up a fight. I am a Cingular agent and our region is getting our butts whooped by Verizon. It is getting worse each month.
Rich Brome

Apr 27, 2007, 2:22 PM
Actually, at last count, AT&T Mobility had 62 million customers, and Verizon Wireless had 59 million.
SavsLuckyFoxx

Sep 2, 2006, 5:49 PM
I think that Verizon will pass Cingular. The reason is that Verizon's Customer Care is more understanding, feesible, loyal, caring, etc. Cingular doesnt' care UNTIL you dont' pay your bill!
srqkiosk

Nov 29, 2006, 11:10 AM
who cares? cingular is terrible.
chainsaw

Nov 29, 2006, 5:43 PM
your mom is terrible~!
frankiewawa

Nov 29, 2006, 5:59 PM
radio shack isnt going to save jack ****. they had verizon previously, as you know, and they screwed so many people over and weren't producing #'s so they were released. what do you think they are going to do with cingular?
VeRiZoN01

Dec 1, 2006, 1:42 AM
heck yes Verizon will surpass Cingular, although I don't believe it will happen at the end of the 4th quater in '06 I will say by end of 1st quater in '07 is when we will do it
ATT Wireless

Dec 1, 2006, 4:40 PM
If Verizon does pass Cingular it won't be for awhile. Maybe in 2008 but it all depends. Cingular is doing good number wise so they are securing their place as number one.
VeRiZoN01

Dec 18, 2006, 9:52 PM
cingular has been treading water ever since the AT&T buyout they really haven't seen a profitable year in a while, however Verizon has seen one every quater. Verizon will pass cingular in 07
jigsawman

Dec 20, 2006, 8:32 PM
give T-Mobile another 50..... years and they'll
have you all!!
chocolateman85006

Dec 20, 2006, 10:23 PM
Funny as HELL!!!!
VeRiZoN01

Dec 20, 2006, 10:47 PM
haha yeah okay...
krickt

Dec 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
One year is long enough! And I think we've answered the question already!
ATT Wireless

Dec 1, 2006, 4:40 PM
I think that Ding Bat Wireless will pass both Verizon and Cingular starting on February 31, 2007.
krickt

Dec 1, 2006, 6:12 PM
You are evil, and must be destroyed! (For extra points, what movie is that from!)
chocolateman85006

Dec 20, 2006, 5:06 PM
How bout in 07?
schweaty_balls

Dec 21, 2006, 1:01 PM
👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿

It seems to me as a Cingular rep, that Cingular has more to do with Verizon passing them then Verizon does. How many more bad things can cingular do to their customers and expect them to stay. They tried basing upgrades on revenue instead of length of service, wonder how many people switched after that. They are now raising text messaging, how many people will leave after that. Cingular also lowered pay for the reps. Guess they will get what they pay for. Verizon passses cingular in 3rd quarter of '07. Wake up cingular.
lefteyeiu2006

Dec 21, 2006, 5:19 PM
I doubt it. Verizon may have more towers, but they have a little catching up to do with thier number of subscribers. Maybe in 2008 or 2009?
AgentOrange

Dec 22, 2006, 12:31 AM
Verizon passed Cingular in terms of revenue in 2006. Verizon gained 500,000 subscribers on Cingular in the third quarter and based upon what I've seen, they'll gain at least a million more subscribers in the fourth quarter. I have a friend that is a Verizon agent in some states and a Cingular agent in others. His sales at the Cingular stores where the worse in eight years, his Verizon stores are humming along making fat cash.

Cingular will come out swinging in the first quarter and surrender faster than France by the third quarter. Their top people are confused,weak and lack real authority. The wired people ultimately control Cingular and they worry about quarterly profits and their next acquisitions, not long term growth and profitabili...
(continues)
SuperSerge76

Dec 22, 2006, 12:34 PM
As a wireless consultant out in a city that Cingular claims as the city's #1 Provider, Verizon will surpass cingular in just a few months. I say this because ever since Cingular rolled out the "Fewest Dropped Calls" Campaign, most of my customers (Who were former cingular clients) told me that was complete BS.I had to agree. 😁 I've seen signal bars on their phones slowly slip away while the Verizon phone held up. "Fewest dropped calls"... "More Bars in More Areas"... yea right...

Verizon Passing Cingular in 07? Sooner than you think...
chocolateman85006

Dec 22, 2006, 5:56 PM
Amen & testify, brotha! I had Cingular for a few months this year and calls were drppoing like it's hot. I've only lost 15-20 calls with Verizon (Keep in mind: 1. I talk a lot on the phone, 2. It's debatable how many of those dropped calls were even my fault {some were, some weren;t}). Granted Cingular does have a better selection of PDA/Smartphones (I'd love to see a CDMA IPAQ phone), but Verizon will win hands down, if they're not winning already.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.