Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 22 replies

SBC/Cingular buyout of T-mobile in the 4th qtr?!

TinyJ316

May 29, 2004, 6:24 PM
I was talking with the owner of my shop today, and he said that sometime around the 4th qtr this year, SBC/Cingular would put in a buyout bid of T-Mobile, making SBC/Cingular/ATT the largest conglomorate of GSM service in North America...has anyone heard anything to this effect?
JDigital

May 29, 2004, 7:54 PM
I hope you're not gullible enough to believe that... read the thread a little down the page about basically the same thing with AT&T for my full argument why this will never happen, at least not in the near future.
Starr06

May 29, 2004, 8:51 PM
Seriously... some of you need to read the definition of the word "RUMOR".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rumor »

T-Mobile USA is not on the market for sale!

Case closed.
TinyJ316

May 30, 2004, 12:22 AM
ru·mor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rmr)
n.
A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

anyway...its not the 4th quarter yet, is it? a lot can change in 6 months...
Starr06

May 30, 2004, 10:18 AM
Anyone who knows what they are talking about knows for a fact that T-Mobile is not going to be bought-out/merged/sold to anyone. Sorry but we are growing way too fast in customer base and profit, it would be suicide if that occurs. FCC wouldn't be hearing it either! Duh! Hence monopoly. Cingular's current buyout of ATT Wireless isn't even complete first of all and won't be completely until early 2005 if there aren't anymore issues to hash out.

T-Mobile USA is here to stay, even beyond the six months you are gossiping about. 🤣

Again a rumor is just a rumor. It can be lumped into the same catagory with Jennifer Lopez and her rumored marriages... which they hold no weight. LOL @ the urban wireless myths

El Fin.
timslo

Jun 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with TinyJ. Anything is possible in this industry and no matter how big T-Mo is getting, there are still bigger fish. It is just a rumor but I wouldn't count it out. And besides, why hasn't there coverage grown any, if the company itself is growing so much? Sure their making money now with good plans and intoductory phone offers, but how many customers will stay when they see Cingular's GSM coverage is larger with no roaming? Sorry, this may not be the forum for this question, reply in "shop talk" if you like.
CainMarko

Jun 3, 2004, 9:51 PM
ummmm.... remember when the ATT buyout was a rumor? i was telling folks that cingular was going to buyout one of them 10-11 months before it hit the news. Cingular "geared up" for a buyout of a company and kept it (almost)completely quiet. OH and yes... Cingular was talking with tmobile too. cingular decided on attws because they bit first. also... tmobile isn't as mighty in the us as you think. tmobile europe considers usa a disaster. i'm not saying it's going to happen, when there are only 2 gsm carriers left in the us, one will eventually fall. tmobile doesnt have the cash or the subscriber base to compete. all those minutes they offer are to gain customers, but they are bleeding money..... and will eventually dry out. i still have a soft...
(continues)
jwbass1985

Jun 3, 2004, 11:44 PM
i think anything is possible, i personally think that cingular is gearing up to dominate the american gsm market, and they won't stop until they are the only gsm service out there...i kinda think that's cool though, considering i work for 'em...
Michael Knight

Jun 14, 2004, 11:41 PM
I work for TMobile and used to work for Sprint. I don't care who buys who, lol, I just make more with TMobile 😁

But if Cingular does go out and buy TMobile (which I see unlikely just because of the monopoly it would be) I'll go to Verizon for a job :p
T Mobile Emp

Jun 17, 2004, 12:26 AM
Sprint, T Mobile are you in ABQ
shiroitora

Jun 6, 2004, 9:47 AM
First, T-Mobile is expanding their network and it's not just through roaming agreements. Roaming agreements are simply a fast way to open markets. Having seen T-Mobile's footprint a year ago, and seeing it now (even removing the roaming coverage) is actually kind've amazing. Seeing the footpring even 6 months ago versus now is amazing.
Second, as has been stated before, this is a capitalist economy. You can't have just one GSM carrier nationwide. Competition is required and the government will make sure of that.
Third, T-Mobile US is actually a profitable company. Yes there's debt there, but what company doesn't have debt? (and I'm talking any industry here) You can't tell me Cingular doesn't owe any money. The important thing to notice ...
(continues)
Mendel

May 30, 2004, 2:30 AM
besides that I dont think this is happening anytime soon...

but on this note of bigest network in North America, I think they would do better by buying out a GSM carrier in Canada..
muchdrama

May 30, 2004, 4:04 PM
Mendel said:
besides that I dont think this is happening anytime soon...

but on this note of bigest network in North America, I think they would do better by buying out a GSM carrier in Canada..
You make my head hurt, Mendel.
SPCSVZWJeff

Jun 2, 2004, 2:59 AM
Yeah, that rumor was in the National Enquirer in between the article that showed positive proof that Elvis is alive and living on Mars and the one that said that Aliens abducted Michael Jackson.
T-Mobile is probably the safest carrier from being bought out. for the following reasons:

1)they compete with the other big boys in too many markets which means there would be too much license duplication so they are not attractive to any domestic carriers. Although Vodafone, Orange or other European carriers would love a crack at the US market they are all too broke.

2) T-Mobile USA is the profit maker for Deutsch Telecom which is really hurting worldwide.

3) They don't have anything any of the other big boys want. It would be too expensi...
(continues)
Myth

Jun 2, 2004, 9:53 AM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Aliens abducted Michael Jackson.

That explains a lot, actually. Thank you.
muchdrama

Jun 2, 2004, 10:21 AM
Myth said:
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Aliens abducted Michael Jackson.

That explains a lot, actually. Thank you.
Pfft. Like he was abducted. He IS an alien.
phonepimp3376

Jun 2, 2004, 10:44 AM
No NO NOOO!

Michael Jackson is alive and living on Mars... (no real stretch there...lol) aliens abducted Elvis and he is doing three shows a day in Venus!
justpeachy

Jun 2, 2004, 7:18 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
No NO NOOO!

Michael Jackson is alive and living on Mars... (no real stretch there...lol) aliens abducted Elvis and he is doing three shows a day in Venus!

haven't you guys seen Men in Black?? He IS an alien. Movies dont' lie. 🙄
sherryberry

Jun 20, 2004, 9:27 PM
Ha.. I work for T-mobile right now and T-mobile has been expanding so much that there is really no way for this to happen. Cingular and T-mobile are tight competitors right now and if you take that away, that means there wouldn't be as much competition in the industry and that would lead to higher monthly bills and who would want that? People will say just about anything...
For example, this guy with wireless retail here at the Sam's Club that I work keeps telling people that Cingular has bought out all the AT&T towers.. and that hasn't even happened yet. You should hear how wireless retail and other store unaffiliated with T-mobile or any wireless company lies. They make fake promises and some can't even get their job right. I've only just...
(continues)
muchdrama

Jun 20, 2004, 9:41 PM
sherryberry said:
For example, this guy with wireless retail here at the Sam's Club that I work keeps telling people that Cingular has bought out all the AT&T towers.. and that hasn't even happened yet. You should hear how wireless retail and other store unaffiliated with T-mobile or any wireless company lies. They make fake promises and some can't even get their job right. I've only just started working and everytime I was there with wireless retail, there have been customers coming in, complaining about the lies that they were told. So there you go.
It's funny you should bring that up. I think you all know who I work for by now, and we used Wireless Retail on a test basis for about 3-4 months. I watched the ...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Jun 22, 2004, 3:32 PM
Sherryberry...

Cingular's offer was accepted by ATTWS and their shareholders, therefore we DO own the network. What has not been truly decided is how much of the SPECTRUM they held we get to keep. If it is not to our liking, we can walk away. There has been no indication that the FCC and DOJ will not approve the deal, just that we MAY have to divest some spectrum. This was anticipated prior to the deal being struck.

As for SBC buying out T-Mobile, that I highly doubt the FCC would approve, as it would reduce the number of national GSM providers to one... Cingular. FCC doesn't like monopolies ( well, except for Nextel...lol)
tnyflrs

Jun 27, 2004, 12:28 AM
Sherryberry I must disagree with you up to a point. Assuming you are paying a monthly mortgage payment or a car payment, it doesn't mean it's yours.

In order to be yours, you must first pay it off and receive title of ownership.

In the case of ATTws and Cingular: an offer was made, review, and accepted, but in contingency upon approval of governmental entities as long as there is no moneys traded in exchange of ownership title, Cingular doesn't own anything from ATTws just yet.

For what I understand ATTws recently entered in to roaming agreements with Cingular and TMobile in a tripartite deal to replicate each others services through each others networks. This in turn made an immediate expansion of coverage. However I must say that ...
(continues)
tomweston713

Jul 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
CORRECT I DONT SEE THAT HAPPENING EITHER, BESIDES WHEN MY ATT WIRELESS WHO I WORK FOR MERGES WITH CINGULAR, SAY GOODBYE TO TMOBILE ANYWAY, HEE HEE. WE WILL BE THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.