Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 53 replies

Cingular back to ATT?

homeslice5484

Nov 23, 2005, 10:55 AM
Anyone read the article on the main webpage? Cingular is going back to the ATT name?
G-rad

Nov 23, 2005, 11:20 AM
no. If they do it will be at&t LOWER case 🙄 Just playin! The guy quoted in the usa today emphizied th lower case letters
homeslice5484

Nov 23, 2005, 11:22 AM
i have cingular and am debating going to verizon but i dont like their phones.
G-rad

Nov 23, 2005, 11:35 AM
I work for cingy and can't stand it.
homeslice5484

Nov 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
my phone is very hard to hear on and cingular wont fix it. I have the crappy samsung e317. I live by the border to canada so i go from full signal to none as soon as i push the send button. But when i do go to canada, it stays on Cingular in the USA, but in my house in the USA it goes to ROGERS in Canada, very dumb.

Not to mention the option to manually search for a network to switch back to Cingular is locked, i have to wait for the phone to automatically go back to cingular.
Trisha

Dec 28, 2005, 8:43 PM
Your phone has a one year warranty. If it's not damaged, call the XBM and get it replaced.

If you want the phone to search for the network when you want it to, just turn the phone off and then back on. When you power cycle the phone, you force it to find the best network.
soldmysoul4cellular

Jan 9, 2006, 7:55 AM
what does this have to do with cingular going back to the att name which it is not by the way.....sbc cingy's parent company bought att landline and they are using the name for that service now im not positive about this as it is rather confusing...but....they will be able to sell "att" wireless in areas where they sell landline service as part of a bundle....i think....but those customers will be under cingy's umbrella in terms of customers and revenue etc........i think...but who the hell knows it's all crap anyways
D-Mobile

Feb 18, 2006, 3:28 PM
Att, Cingular...who gives a crap? the point is the worst customer service, and the crappiest rate plans in existence. I'm so glad they bought at&t, because now T-mobile has a large portion of their customer base that is pissed off from their rediculous merge. I guess if it does go back to att&t their new slogan would have to be "lowering the bar." Has anyone figured out that rollover is the biggest scam since Amway? They charge you a but-load for a limited number of minutes. Guess why? THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO ROLL OVER. Yeah, I get 30 extra minutes this month! Look at what you just paid for those 30 minutes.........$25? Moron.
johnnybmagic

Feb 18, 2006, 3:50 PM
What? All of Cingular's plans are the same as VZW except VZW has no rollover, now where is the scam?
D-Mobile

Feb 18, 2006, 5:05 PM
the scam is the coverage. the scam is forcing people off at&t to 2 years of cingular, so people who have always had coverage where they use their phone no longer have the same coverage. I don't have a huge problem with rollover, but what is better is more minutes. Why would I use cingular when I could have verizon for the same price?
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 12:39 AM
But they will have the same coverage and more when the two networks are finished merging. They are well under way to completing that. Do you really think it's as simple as flipping a switch?

At this point, the choice between Cingular and Verizon is preference, and which one has network where you live, and whether or not you travel overseas much. Have fun roaming internationally with a CDMA phone...
tifferzb2001

Apr 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
You don't look at those people's accounts to see if they accumulate rollover. I see their accounts all day. It's rediculous the amount of rollover minutes most people have they will never be able to use it all. I have yet to hear a customer complain that they went over there minutes unless quite frankly they signed up for the lowest plan possible with multiple lines and the rep told them it wouldn't be enough. I think it's a great value for wireless customers.
Ushneb

Mar 1, 2006, 5:34 PM
SBC does own ATT but seeing that ATT was 'THE' original telecommunications company, also known as Ma Bell, SBC might like the advantage of returning to a name that has a history of over 100 years.

Speaking of which, PacBell Park ---> SBC Park---> ATT Park(soon)
tifferzb2001

Apr 2, 2006, 12:08 PM
And I just recieved the memo a couple weeks ago. SBC bought at&t and became "The New AT&T" which will also soon be merging with Bell-South by the end of this year. Cingular's name will change back to AT&T Wireless. "The New AT&T" is "going to be a one-and-done" company. All bundled services local and long distance, dsl, satellite t.v., and wireless for about $150!
samsungguy234

Mar 9, 2006, 6:00 PM
hey there g-rad what cigular do you work for might it be in the texas area??
yourtmobilerep

Dec 9, 2005, 11:04 AM
I believe Cingular will stay, but they are bringing back the at&t name with a new logo. at&t now will be separate name from Cingular but will use all Cingular towers. That is how I understood it, may be wrong though.
ferrarik1

Dec 10, 2005, 11:19 AM
cingular is going to remain cingular, there isnt going to be an at&t. why would they waste money reformating stores to a "new" at&t. i can understand sprint and nextel keeping their own stores, but cigular already modified all the old at&t stores, at least in my area 😕
AgentOrange

Jan 1, 2006, 7:09 PM
I think you give the Cingular upper management waaaaaaaaaaay too much credit. Changing the name to AT&T is exactly what you would expect them to do. Waste a ton of money changing signs, reorganizing, rebranding, etc. while starving their employees in the trenches and indirect agents.
D-Mobile

Feb 18, 2006, 6:17 PM
You nailed it man. Who can predict the amount of money cingular would waste on something so trivial. I have yet to meet more than a couple of reps who sell cingular who actually like the company. My guess is they might also invest in painting the moon orange. Or powder pink? I don't think we've seen the last of corporate waste coming from them 😛
Ushneb

Mar 1, 2006, 5:37 PM
How is it trivial? The name of a company means more than just a word being thrown around. Who ever understands the corporate world will understand that a name is integral to the success of a business.
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 12:47 AM
hehe You might be on to something there.

Personally, I think that even with the cost of licensing (AT&T wireless name/brand was licensed from AT&T - not the same company), changing Cingular to AT&T would have been the smart thing to do during the merger, even if Cingular management is calling the shots.

Notice how SBC became at&t, even though SBC is running the show. It doesn't take a genius to realize that a strong, century-old brand is worth its weight in platinum, diamonds and gold.
Trisha

Dec 28, 2005, 8:45 PM
From what I've heard, some of Cingular will switch and be sold under at&t, but some places will remain under the Cingular name. Even though it will all be the same service.
cingcing

Jan 1, 2006, 6:04 PM
Even if Cingular DID go back the AT&T branding. It would still be the same company. I wish I still worked for the OLD AT&T that actually took care of it's employees. Cingular is a horrible place to work.
envoyboy99

Jan 1, 2006, 11:39 PM
Quit and take your experience over to Verizon,you can obviously see they are growing and growing and growing........can you hear me now? ..... lol !

PS:I DO NOT WORK FOR VERIZON.
I just prefer them now after being screwed over by Cingular for 2 1/2 years ( roamers, prices going up and up and the biggest of all was the un ability to get new phones for free,seeing as I was already sucked in as a customer.
Trisha

Jan 2, 2006, 7:28 PM
Why should you get new phones for free once you're a customer? That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. If you deserve free phones all the time, then so does everyone else! What company gives all of their customers free phones all the time?!

That's right... none.

Wake up!! Company's give all of their customers a hefty break on their first phone, and then once again once their eligible for upgrade. If you want a new phone in between those times, YOU need to PAY for it! *gasp*

Seriously...
Cigee

Jan 2, 2006, 8:05 PM
CLAP CLAP CLAP! Thank you Trisha. This little issue is one of my most reveered. Its so friggin annoying. Phones are not free. They are very expensive. Hello.....it makes calls to people all around the world, some take pictures (well most now) along wth all the other totally cool things a phone can do and you want it for free. Seriously. Phone companies spoil their customers and then customers get used to it and become brats wanting everything for free. Suck it up and pay for the phone. You already got one for free. Get over it.
envoyboy99

Jan 2, 2006, 10:25 PM
now thats interesting because in all the over charging that cingular has charged me..hmmm seems to add up to a new phone,your right its just a few hundred bucks for a phone and its only a few hundred bucks i shouldnt of had to dish out to cingular.But hey we all live and learn and thats why I'm giving Verizon a shot.I've paid out to Cingular nearly 3500 dollars in the 2 years i was with them 😲 not good if ya ask me.My bill was never consistant.
NOT HERE TO ARGUE ANYWAYS.GOOD LUCK IN YOUR LIFE.
Cigee

Jan 3, 2006, 5:30 PM
General rule of thumb: Just because you don't want to pay more then 50 dollars a month does not mean that you can get a low plan, go over your minutes and not get charged. The problem is that there is usually an excellent explanation for the over charges but the customer will automatically assume that it must be the companies fault and refuse to hear the latter. Listen to the explanation and you may be surprised that it is in fact your fault your bill is too high. I have never ever not been able to explain an overage bill to a customer. I think there are reps out there who dont take the time to explain to where the customer can understand and I am also aware of the customers who refuse to hear it because they just know they are right. G...
(continues)
envoyboy99

Jan 3, 2006, 6:58 PM
ok thank you for your help and support.
Cigee

Jan 3, 2006, 7:07 PM
Anytime 😁
lefteyeiu2006

Jan 8, 2006, 1:15 PM
Trisha said:
Why should you get new phones for free once you're a customer? That's gotta be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. If you deserve free phones all the time, then so does everyone else! What company gives all of their customers free phones all the time?!

That's right... none.

Wake up!! Company's give all of their customers a hefty break on their first phone, and then once again once their eligible for upgrade. If you want a new phone in between those times, YOU need to PAY for it! *gasp*

Seriously...

T-Mobile let me upgrae to the Nokia 3220 for free, Absolutley free, no up front costs, no charge for shipping, period. All I gave them in return was a contract extension...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 8, 2006, 2:28 PM
lefteyeiu2006 said:
Trisha said:

That's right... none.

Seriously...

T-Mobile let me upgrae to the Nokia 3220 for free, Absolutley free, no up front costs, no charge for shipping, period. All I gave
(continues)
gadgethead

Jan 8, 2006, 7:56 PM
I'm curious, as an authorized agent, do you feel that loyal customers deserve any extra perks? or do you feel that new customers should get better deals on phones?
Cigee

Jan 9, 2006, 4:39 PM
Actually Im not an authorized dealer. I am direct. Here is a way to look at it. EVERY customer receives a huge deal and fabulous perks when they sign up. Lets say you want a RAZR. SRP for that phone in general is 329.99 and we are going to sell it to you for 150.00 (as an incentive) with a 50.00 mail in rebate. We do not have to do that by the way. Lets do the math. We just lost 179.99 but you will be paying your bill monthly for our services so we want to get you on board. Now, although we have gained a customer we just got a kit loss rate of about 53.80. Ow! Now multiply that by a million customers. The main goal of a company is to make money at some point so please tell me why we would want to discount the phones this muc ...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 9, 2006, 4:46 PM
I apologize for the bold type..HAHA...my html coding attempt did not work! 😉
gadgethead

Jan 9, 2006, 9:26 PM
I just find it interesting that the people who sell the phones are complaining about corporate policies. The major cell phone companies have been in business for quite a few years and they probably have the whole profit/loss thing worked out. Besides there is really no industry that you can compare to the phone industry, no other service industry (and since as everyone on this forum knows phone companies to not make phones so they are a service industry) completely controls what products can be used with their service unless they provide the equipment to their customers. Cable companies do not give free TVs but they also do not tell you that you can only use TVs with a certain resolution or aspect ratio. Basically if phones were not regulate...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 11, 2006, 3:05 PM
I am not complaining about corporate policies, quite the opposite. I am defending corporate policies that you are all angry at. Why can't I get a free awesome phone for being such a great customer? Because you can't, period. Deal with it. If you go over to Asia or Europe, you don't get discounts on phones at all. I hope we don't adopt that policy here because I want a discount when I purchase new service damnit, who doesn't? That doesn't mean that I feel its ok to take advantage of the company thereafter by demanding a $300 piece of equipment for free because you pay a bill that you OWE for services rendered. Get over yourselves people.
gadgethead

Jan 11, 2006, 10:19 PM
I guess you've read all of the marketing reports that say how it's more difficult to retain customers that it is to get new customers, and I guess you work in a place where repeat business is not important judging by your apparent dislike for existing customers. I know you have never heard me ask for a free phone and I know that I'm not the one that's angry here. I just wonder why all of the sales people are complaining about existing customers that only want what the phone companies are giving out to new customers. I just wish that the wireless phone companies would realize what a hostile work environment they have created for their employees by giving away free phones, hopefully they will come to their senses and start offering anger manag...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 12, 2006, 2:27 PM
Haha...I am far from angry or hostile. if you met me, you would prbably think I am one of the nicest people you have ever met. I have learned alot working in wireless and until you actually get behind the scenes you will probably never understand the logistics of our business. An existing customer WAS a new customer at one time. They did recieve that great deal when the started service. We DID eat alot of the cost of the free phone that customer chose to go with. This company as well as any company cannot survive on giving phones out at half the actual cost everytime an existing customer feelsthe need to upgrade their phone. You already got a hefty discount to begin with and we are still going to give you a great discount when you upg...
(continues)
gadgethead

Jan 12, 2006, 10:55 PM
Actually I agree with you 100% about Americans being spoiled brats, I just think that you are assessing blame on the wrong people. I have never walked into a cell company store and asked for a discount on a phone, but I have walked into one and been offered discounts or free phones. The phone companies have created this atmosphere where people get free stuff and expect free stuff. Like I have said before, when the cell companies stop subsidizing phones the market will work itself out. People with good jobs and money will get new phones with lots of features and people that don't will either get entry level phones or used phones. Just like everything else in this country, cars, TVs, computers, etc., etc.
colione112

Jan 13, 2006, 3:17 AM
This is true.. But..

If you are a customer of company A, and you want a new phone for free, your not likely to get it.

Now you go across the street to company B, and they say, sure, sign up with us and we'll give you this phone for free.

I don't agree with this, but it's well known that extra "incentives" are thrown at a new customer before an existing customer.

If that incentive is going to be there, it should be accross the board.

I'm in a corp store, and I always lead in upgrades, and usually in the top 3 in new activations (out of 7 reps). I treat every customer as if they are new, regardless of the rules because when they want to add that extra line or feature, they are going to call me and not the guy next to me. ...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 14, 2006, 2:15 PM
Thats great that you have the lee way to do that. If I could I would but alas I cannot. I am top in service excellence at my store. I am top because I explain everything to them at the time of service or when my customers upgrade. I am nice to absolutely everyone and am definitely favored here. I am far from an A-hole. I used to give my customers my personal cell number when I worked for indirect but I learned against it. You see, I am a 26 year old female. I am small and not unfortunate looking. Therefore, I tend to aquire stalkers who have mistaken my kindness and customer service skills with interest. It is unfortunate that there are a bunch of weirdos out there that ruin it for everyone else but the reality is that there are. Wh...
(continues)
colione112

Jan 14, 2006, 8:45 PM
I think more people need to get back to the basics of customer service like you have. Teach them what to expect from the begining and in two years, they know what to expect.

😕 I'm not unfortunate looking either lol
Cigee

Jan 16, 2006, 2:13 PM
Oh no, I wasn't by any means implying that you were. I was trying to not sound conceited (which I am not) and get my point across. I'm just saying that I have had one too many incidences with crazy customers, ya know? Thank you for the compliment! 🙂
colione112

Jan 16, 2006, 9:59 PM
yea i feel ya 🙂

where you from?
Cigee

Jan 17, 2006, 2:07 PM
Austin, Tx.....born and raised! 😁 You?
colione112

Jan 17, 2006, 2:24 PM
I'm from NJ 🙂

it's cold here ☚ī¸
mitchell1

Jan 15, 2006, 1:26 PM
I am not complaining about corporate policies, quite the opposite. I am defending corporate policies that you are all angry at. Why can't I get a free awesome phone for being such a great customer? Because you can't, period. Deal with it. If you go over to Asia or Europe, you don't get discounts on phones at all. I hope we don't adopt that policy here because I want a discount when I purchase new service damnit, who doesn't? That doesn't mean that I feel its ok to take advantage of the company thereafter by demanding a $300 piece of equipment for free because you pay a bill that you OWE for services rendered. Get over yourselves people. how much do they actually pay for the phones when you put it in american money. say phone is sold is sol...
(continues)
Cigee

Jan 16, 2006, 2:18 PM
Point is, there is no negotiation and no free phones as an incentive.
Trisha

Jan 14, 2006, 7:16 PM
Loyal customers get extra perks once they've put in their time. That's called an upgrade. Once eligible for upgrade, you get the EXACT same perks and specials as those brand new customers walking in the door for the first time.

The thing you're not grabbing on to, is that existing customers were once new customers. When you first signed up, we gave you a nice and shiny new phone for free or with a discount. But if you come back in 4 months and want a new phone because you dropped yours, how can you justify demanding a discount or free phone then? We just gave you one 4 months ago! You're not eligible for upgrade yet, because you haven't put in your time yet. Now do you get it?
Cigee

Jan 16, 2006, 2:22 PM
They may get it but they will still want it for free because as I said before, America has become a world full of spoiled brats.
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 1:18 AM
And what makes them feel like anything other than a number? The only way to do that is to give loyal, PAYING customers some special treatment. That can be done very cheaply.

For the record, I believe Cingular's upgrade policy is fair, but perks for LOYAL customers would be a step in the right direction.
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 1:08 AM
I'm not an agent (I won't say what I do, so don't ask), but I will put my two-cents in... I think loyal customers, who pay their bill on time, and have seen through their contracts should not only get special perks at re-signing, but also little perks throughout their contract.

The company can give little things that cost almost nothing, but give the customer warm-fuzzies. One hundred free text messages one month, upgrade to enhanced voicemail, extra minutes another month... it wouldn't cost the stores a thing, and would get customers back through good-will.

I don't want to hear that it's going to cut into profits, because Cingular cleared $549 million last quarter. For the math challenged, that's more than half a BILLION dollars in ...
(continues)
Scotch

Feb 19, 2006, 12:52 AM
Not according to the CWA. The way they tell it, AT&T was/is crappy to work for, and Cingular is one of, if not /the/ best in the industry... to work for, anyway. 😛

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.