Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 19 replies

Attn: ATTWS Employees, MUST READ!

YK

Nov 19, 2003, 3:38 PM
In today's Wall Sreet Journal(11/19/03 in the first paragraph:
" AT&T Wireless Services Inc. is making plans to lay off more 10% of it's 30,000 workers over the next year and outsource the jobs, according to people familiar with the situation."
Several paragraphs later:
"The bulk of the outsourcing being contemplated would be in customer care, which employs about 12,000 workers."
"The telecommunications industryis a likely target for future downsizing-even as profitability improves in the wireless sector-since a high percentage of telecom employees work in either customer care or IT, sectors where jobs are increasingly moving overseas."
If possible check out the graph on page A3.
TomZ

Nov 24, 2003, 6:12 PM
Good--maybe it won't be as expensive for Cingular to buy them out then.

tz
pumpkin

Nov 26, 2003, 12:39 AM
cingular doesnt plan to buy out anyone, if you would looknito your facts before you state them, cingular wants to merger with attws. large companys dont buy out other large companys, they go after small regional companies. and if att were going down hill, why would anyone want to merger with them,
TomZ

Nov 26, 2003, 10:41 AM
I looked into my facts just like you told me to. If Cingular doesn't plan to buy out anyone, then why did Cingular's CEO say, "If there is going to be consolidation, then I expect to participate -- and not as a seller." If he's not going to be a "seller," wouldn't that make him a "buyer"? And wouldn't being a buyer mean you buy something?

SBC and Bellsouth have the ability to fund the purchase outright. AT&T Wireless are going to be wearing orange soon.

tz 🤣
Rigby9091

Dec 19, 2003, 3:37 AM
First of all Tom, AT&T Wireless is not some little regional company like US Cellular, Cingular could not afford to "buy" ATTWS out, I don't believe any company does have the capital to. I think there is a lot more believability that ATTWS will purchase TMobile.
As for the job thing, it is a complete rumor, most of those jobs are the outsource jobs currently in Canada. Take a look at the website, ATTWS is hiring, surprise, surprise, Customer Service.
Big Poppa

Dec 19, 2003, 12:27 PM
Ok, will yall get the through your heads, AT&T is not "BUYING" anybody out. They were talking about "Merging" with another company.

For Example AOL merging with Time Warner.
and become AOL Time Warner. That was not a "Buyouy" that was a "Merger"
moobak

Dec 19, 2003, 11:48 PM
Exactly, TZ quit being so arrogent, your precious Cingular isn't as all powerful as you seem to think. Time will tell, and I can gaurantee you it will be a merger, not a buy-out.
frankiewawa

Jun 23, 2007, 6:40 PM
say werd? 😎
I AM GOD

Jun 24, 2007, 3:09 PM
NECROPOSTER!!!
wb

Nov 25, 2003, 12:11 AM
Yeah, but this a nightmare. LNP will demand a very high number of CSR workers. This is the wrong time for AT&T to be cutting back- it's suicidal, unless that's the plan.
pumpkin

Nov 26, 2003, 12:37 AM
but attws is not officially saying they are going to cut those jobs, it is a rumor , it was accidently leaked by someone that they had put tht down to be considered for saving money, they never said they were going to do it, sprint on the other hand has said they are definatly going to be cutting 2000 jobs before the end of this quarter. attws is not planing to do anything this quarter, it wouldnt be till next year that they do anything, and most of their csr jobs are contract out, most csrs dont officially work for aws. just thought you'd like to kno what aws actually says.
johnstonhurd

Nov 26, 2003, 2:59 PM
Rumors are always interesting. I always wonder what the truth is. I actually don't believe something until it really happens.
moobak

Dec 19, 2003, 11:49 PM
MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!
V4Vengeance

Jun 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
I can only imagine the havoc outsourcing would wreak on customer service; how can a company motivate people to provide accurate info and a great attitude if they aren't even considered "part of" the company with all its benefits, etc.? There's no accountability; they could just say anything to get you off their line, knowing they'll never talk to you again. Heck, they might even live on a different continent from most of their callers - why should they care about doing a good job? Companies may *think* outsourcing saves them money, but only short term. I hope for the sake of all real ATTTWS employees that this does not happen.
Webb

Jun 29, 2007, 1:08 PM
I'm an outsourced employee, working for Cingular/AT&T in the country that Pat Buchanan once dubbed 'Soviet Canuckistan' (I object - properly we are the Dominion of Soviet Canuckistan).

You raise some valid points. I might be outsourced, but I'm starting to hate the practice, at least as I've seen it implemented.

My co-workers seem to do a fair job, generally speaking. We do pay a little bit less than what a stateside corporate rep would make, but I think we're actually doing a little bit better than many of the outsourced stateside reps employed by our company.

There is a bit of detachment. I figure we're about the last to hear about everything (often I find out about things via leaks on phonescoop before I get the training)....
(continues)
V4Vengeance

Jun 29, 2007, 6:24 PM
That's the answer to probably one of the biggest problems in a call center. High turnover can be solved by increasing the pay -- AND respect -- awarded to people who take flak on the front line. Then they'd stay longer, learn more and give better answers. If they'd absorb outsourced folks as full-fledged employees and give you equal pay & treatment (rather than treating you as a cheap solution)... heck, even pay their own employees better while they're at it... customers would be happy as clams. But then that might cut into profits.
chainsaw

Jun 29, 2007, 1:20 PM
Well its been 4 years so I doubt things will follow through if they already haven't
Webb

Jun 29, 2007, 4:33 PM
Mmph. That'll teach me to reply to a message without reading the date on the START of the thread. 🤭
attwork

Jun 29, 2007, 9:43 PM
🤣

i can imagine some people seeing that without looking at the date.....hope nobody bm'd
colione112

Jul 1, 2007, 8:58 PM
This article is 4 years old..

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.