Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 56 replies

Verizon Buys Slim's 13.4% Stake In MCI-- qwest is in trouble.

nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 1:57 PM
looks like things have turned.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/04/09/0409_pm_mci.html »

Verizon Communications took a big step Saturday towards beating out Qwest Communications in the two telephone companies' two-month long bidding war for MCI.

Verizon (nyse: VZ - news - people ) said it was buying the 13.4% stake in MCI (nasd: MCIP - news - people ) controlled by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu for $1.1 billion, muting a potentially loud dissident voice against Verizon's offer for the whole of MCI which is valued at $1.4 billion less that the $8.9 billion cash and stock offer from Qwest (nyse: Q - news - people ).

"While this was an opportunity for us to purchase a block of shares under unique circumstances and is an important s...
(continues)
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 2:01 PM
Smart move on Verizon's part! They just kicked Qwest down the block. Any move Qwest makes can be beat by Verizon who has the financial muscle and flexibility to outmaneuver them.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 2:05 PM
excellent move!! slim obviously owns a lot of mcip so that means they control more stake which means that it will be extremly difficult for the shareholders of mcip to get out of the verizon bid or get into a proxy fight. now, will be very difficult for qwest to beat out verizon especially since it has better finances and balance sheet as well as a more of a stake in mcip's shares.

i agree. a smart move.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 5:15 PM
oo that was interesting. may i ask why did you post that? whats your comment on it and this whole thing?
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 5:19 PM
I guess it was interesting to note how the courts may eventually be involved. In addition even if they are not invovled it discusses the orientations of various investors (long term vs short term). It has been my perpective for some time that the increasing short term demands of investors has hurt the strenth of the US economy.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 5:23 PM
very interesting.

this is basically over though, but i am sure courts and a proxy fight will be happening soon, though, if qwest doesnt bid higher. but how is it against the law for verizon to buy out mcip's slim's shares? i dont think that is against the law. maybe cornering the bid and voters ? since in essence slim wasnt liking the merger, and now verizon owns those shares. if slim accepts, which he did, that isnt verizon's fault. also mcip denied qwest's bid twice or three times while approving verizon's. i dont see a case. do you?
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 5:28 PM
nothing against slim's sale but rather the larger issue of whether the board can accept a sale to a lower bidder. If it bipasses the board and goes to the shreholders thatn the issue of long term vs. short term investments is raised.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 5:33 PM
well, it can. the board does have a responsibility to get the best bid and stuff for the shareholders, but if you compare qwest's balance sheet and growth story to verizon's, verizon's wins hands down. mcip, can argue that verizon's balance sheet and growth will help mcip and its shareholders.
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 5:37 PM
according to the article if it is determined that MCI is selling itself than the board may in fact have a fiduciary duty to take the highest bidder even though in the long run it provides less value to shareholders and greater risk.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 5:46 PM
well fiduciary responsibility is to do 2 things.
1. to make sure you get the best possible bid.
2. to make sure that the bid and company has a sound balance sheet.

verizon wins on number 2 which is most important.

if you have the best bid but will go chapter 11 soon, that is showing a terrible growth story, and a terrible bid.

thus; verizon wins. especially since verizon bought out slim's stake which means verizon has more stake in mcip. i belive slim was the only one who didnt like the deal.

fyi, carlos had 42 million shares or 13 percent ownership of mcip. verizon now owns that. he was the only signifcant shareholder that had a problem with the lower bid, now that is taken care of , so verizon should win easily now.
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 5:54 PM
I agree with the ultimate resolution of this issue. The "best bid" definition you use (while I agree) is one that can reasonably be disputed by others. I may be a shareholder who wants a high bid so I can make a quick profit and get out i do not care about the balance sheet or diverse assets of Verizon.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 5:59 PM
yea, most shareholders dont care too much about that. just quick profit, however, the board must be thinking better then that. its about long term, not short term.
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 6:30 PM
that is where the potential legal battle resides. If it can be construed that MCI is selling itself than apparently thier duty is to get the highest bid (short term) and nothing else.

Of course Verizon can now go to the shareholders itself and win due to its MCI stock holdings.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 6:32 PM
thats true.

so what is your opinion? (dont base it on any law or anything)

just say who wins and why. (please)
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 6:36 PM
I have already stated Verizon will ultimately prevail. Any way this is veiwed Verizon can force this game to be played in a manner that they win.

Shareholder vote... Verizon wins
Board vote... Verizon wins

If the MCI board somehow chooses Qwest, Verizon can force a shareholder vote and win.
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 6:37 PM
very true. excellent analysis and sound opinions. i appreciate it. people like you should be more on the cingular, verizon, nextel and sprint boards. come join!
sammy2

Apr 9, 2005, 6:49 PM
Qwest is focusing on the quick profit for MCI investors.

Below is from their 4/6 statement.http://www.qwest.com/about/media/pr essroom?storyId=1675

Given the nature and geographic distribution of the combined Qwest/MCI assets, Qwest continues to assert that regulatory approval will be quicker, giving shareholders faster access to the proceeds and synergies of the combined organization.

wha tdo you thin of Qwests most recent response?
April 09, 2005 View printable version

Qwest Responds to Verizon Announcement

DENVER, April 9, 2005 – The following statement may be attributed to Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q):

“By entering into its deal with Mr. Slim, Verizon has both created two classes of shareholders...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 9, 2005, 6:55 PM
thanks for the information. you should see verizon's statment about qwest though. let me get it...

also its ... CHRONOLOGY - Verizon, Qwest vie for MCI

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArti ... »

March 16 -- Verizon criticized Qwest's bid, saying its smaller rival's finances were weak and it could not prove its claims of savings from buying MCI.

--

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/sto ... »

In a statement, Verizon Communications Inc. said, "If the MCI board, capitulating to Qwest's artificial deadline, declares this bid to be 'superior,' it would seem to us that the decision-making process is be...
(continues)
pizpiz80

Apr 11, 2005, 3:07 PM
Most of us on here have restricted access and cannot view links. Please copy and paste the article for us to enjoy. 😁
nextel18

Apr 11, 2005, 3:58 PM
here is a little snipit that you should read....

But the real winner in this battle may be Carlos Slim Helu, the Mexican telecommunications magnate who managed to turn his stake in a struggling long-distance company into over a billion dollars. Slim played the MCI (nasdaq: MCIP - news - people ) acquisition like a maestro, pulling the strings of other CEO's, driving up the value of his investment and cashing out at a price that none of his fellow investors will be likely to match.

And that's only the beginning of Slim's profit. Verizon has also agreed that in one year they will give Slim an adjustment based on appreciation of its stock price; an amount per MCI share equal to 0.7241 times the amount by which the price of Verizon's...
(continues)
sammy2

Apr 11, 2005, 4:13 PM
Forbes.com

Mergers And Acquisitions
Verizon's Slim Shady
David M. Ewalt, 04.11.05, 1:20 PM ET

It increasingly looks like Verizon Communications will be victorious in its bid to take over MCI, leaving rival Qwest Communications in the dust after two months of wrestling. Credit Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg with winning another huge acquisition and increasing his company's reach.

But the real winner in this battle may be Carlos Slim Helu, the Mexican telecommunications magnate who managed to turn his stake in a struggling long-distance company into over a billion dollars. Slim played the MCI (nasdaq: MCIP - news - people ) acquisition like a maestro, pulling the strings of other CEO's, driving up the value of his investment and c...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 11, 2005, 3:55 PM
nice article.

my favorite snipit... But the real winner in this battle may be Carlos Slim Helu, the Mexican telecommunications magnate who managed to turn his stake in a struggling long-distance company into over a billion dollars. Slim played the MCI (nasdaq: MCIP - news - people ) acquisition like a maestro, pulling the strings of other CEO's, driving up the value of his investment and cashing out at a price that none of his fellow investors will be likely to match.

And that's only the beginning of Slim's profit. Verizon has also agreed that in one year they will give Slim an adjustment based on appreciation of its stock price; an amount per MCI share equal to 0.7241 times the amount by which the price of Verizon's common stock exc...
(continues)
sammy2

Apr 11, 2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/technology/article/ ... »

Brilliant! The last paragraph details the strong position Verizon is in.
----------------------
It's possible Qwest still could prevail, especially if it's willing to offer, as part of a friendly or hostile takeover, $30 or more a share for MCI.

But many analysts believe Qwest then would be in danger of overpaying for MCI.

Verizon, meanwhile, already has assured itself of a tidy profit should it allow Qwest to win the takeover battle. MCI likely would be required to pay a break-up fee of $240 million to Verizon, and Verizon would stand to gain perhaps around $200 million of profit for its stake in MCI. And, if it decided to hold onto the stock, Ver...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 11, 2005, 3:43 PM
hahaha. i know. that is why what verizon did was a great thing! they will get a profit either way. the 240 million dollars from the break up fee and the selling of mcip's shares.
sammy2

Apr 11, 2005, 4:11 PM
While it is true that Verizon had more to work with it seems to me that the leadership is in another class. I believe this will be discussed for many years in management courses.

Qwest management had been used to dealing with firms and regulators that rolled over easily. It is similar to chess. Verizon planned ten moves ahead of Qwest.
nextel18

Apr 11, 2005, 4:38 PM
well if your comparing it with chess. an addition to your planned 10 moves ahead situation you also have to add that they have a better position. (verizon= better position)

yea, i am interested to see about the whole legal aspects of this.
sammy2

Apr 12, 2005, 3:31 PM
http://www.forbes.com/associatedpress/feeds/ap/2005/ ... »

Associated Press
Update 6: Verizon Submits Documents for MCI Buyout
04.12.2005, 01:43 PM

Verizon Communications Inc. submitted to federal regulators Tuesday the documents it plans to distribute to MCI Inc. shareholders so they can vote on Verizon's proposed $7.5 billion buyout of the long-distance telephone company.

Separately, MCI filed a statement Tuesday repeating its rationale in turning down a higher-priced bid of $8.9 billion from Qwest Communications International Inc., laying out the terms of the Verizon deal, and reviewing the sequence of events in the two-month bidding war between Verizon and Qwest.

But the MCI statement also specified that the m...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 12, 2005, 5:49 PM
here we go.....

what you think about this?

let mcip buy out qwest and pay the 250 million to verizon, which means that verizon would own qwest and then have verizon buy out the combine company. no?
sammy2

Apr 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
verizon owns all the viable options to win.
nextel18

Apr 13, 2005, 9:47 PM
yep they do. very well said 🙂
sammy2

Apr 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2005/041105-mci-ipv6.html »

MCI cites headway with IPv6

By Carolyn Duffy Marsan
Network World, 04/11/05

IPv6, the long-awaited upgrade to the Internet's main communications protocol, might be showing signs of life with last week's announcement of MCI 's first commercial customer for IPv6 services.

Seattle supercomputing giant Cray is the first U.S. company to acknowledge using MCI's IPv6 overlay service. MCI says it has a handful of other U.S. corporate and government clients for the service, which the top-tier ISP quietly made available in January.

"We're seeing quite a bit of demand spanning a number of different industries," says Kevin Gatesman, senior manager of emerging technologies for MCI. "W...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 13, 2005, 9:48 PM
yea, they are doing very well, especially since emerging from chapter 11 and that great scandal they had lol.. (i mean the former worldcomm)
sammy2

Apr 13, 2005, 9:55 PM
it is in part what is attractive to Qwest and Verizon. Major expansion of the customer base (large corp and government clients).
nextel18

Apr 13, 2005, 10:01 PM
yea, large corp and gov clients dont churn as much as normal customers thats why you see nextel is doing great vs other carriers who arent becuase they have consumers not gov and corp accounts.
sammy2

Apr 13, 2005, 10:04 PM
nextel has had a nice little niche. but that too will soon change.
nextel18

Apr 13, 2005, 10:07 PM
it wont change. it was supposed to change 1-2 years ago when the other providers launched theiir push to talk services. no impact nothing. churn for nextel has been the same or even dropped a bit. their niche wont change, especially with the nextel/sprint merger with qchat, a highier speed data, and more applications.

niche wont change.
sammy2

Apr 13, 2005, 10:12 PM
The niche may not but the competition will. The businesses were used to Nextel providing a unique service. It takes time for them to notice alternatives (also why leave your provider if it is working). Besides I thought I read that not all PTT services are the same. Nextel had market depth and experience that the others have not. Over time it will equalize if in fact the others want to compete in that market.

The other competitors will need to offer something special to draw clients away from Nextel (even just to get their attention).
nextel18

Apr 13, 2005, 10:17 PM
nextel still provides a unique service. they have off network push to talk now, push to view, nationwide direct connect, international direct connect. good business applications. its not had they still have it.

it takes a long time? well over a long time nextel's churn has been going down so it looks like the push to talk and other applications are doing extremly well.

no one will beat nextel with push to talk. i said it before and i will say it again. the only thing that might hurt them is qchat, however, they own the rights to that. since they are going to do REV A, they will have qchat, and other data applications and plus sprint/nextel has the highiest arpu and highiest data arpu and good churn levels.

"The other competitors ...
(continues)
sammy2

Apr 22, 2005, 12:13 AM
http://finance.myway.com/ht/nw/bus/20050421/hlm_bus- ... »

Verizon will increase its bid but probably maintain its existing margin.
nextel18

Apr 22, 2005, 3:18 PM
yea, it doesnt matter. like we discussed before. qwest will be hurting by getting this deal or not getting this deal.
sammy2

Apr 23, 2005, 12:10 PM
http://finance.myway.com/ht/nw/bus/20050423/hlm_bus- ... »

I suspect Verizon will increase their bid one last time and if necessary take it to the stockholders.

MCI declaration is designed to appease stockholders and increase the price.
nextel18

Apr 23, 2005, 1:36 PM
to be honest, you dont need to keep posting the links, becuase i follow it every day.

they dont have to increase the bid, becuase they can just take it to the shareholders and make them vote instead of the board. (Remember now vzw owns a lot of shares i belive about 80 million or so becuase of their purchase of slim's stake.) also fyi, verizon and mcip already signed a merger agreement so verizon wont break it becuase i bet mcip will and they will owe verizon the breakup free of about $200 mill. they have five days (verizon that is) business ones also, to decide whether or not to raise their bid.
sammy2

Apr 24, 2005, 12:43 PM
I understand the facts that you have stated. I appreciate that you are following it closely but others may not be following as closely as we are and the posts in the public forum will keep them appraised of developments.
nextel18

Apr 25, 2005, 4:21 AM
no problem what-so-ever. i pay attention to these types of things.

so vzw has till friday to decide. what i think they might do is probably raise the offer a bit then go to the shareholders to get their rule. we know that verizon doesnt need mcip, but qwest does. we shall see on friday or before friday what happens.
texaswireless

Apr 26, 2005, 2:04 PM
This article is from weeks ago. This is not info about the most current dealings.
sammy2

Apr 27, 2005, 9:54 AM
oops I copied the wrong link.
nextel18

Apr 26, 2005, 5:17 PM
they dont have to pull out with the bid. there is already a merger agreement with mcip. verizon will probably go to the shareholders next.
nextel18

Apr 28, 2005, 5:30 PM
i like this... "Verizon Communications remained coy Wednesday on whether it will sweeten its bid for MCI Inc. but did say it has no interest in a package deal that includes Qwest Communications.

"Even though we could afford it, the fact is, (Qwest) is a small company that serves very rural states for the most part and has a lot of debt," Verizon Chief Executive Ivan Seidenberg said in response to a question during an all-employee meeting. "So they're not a strong company as we would understand it. And so they don't add a lot - or would not add a lot to our business. So our focus is really - it's on MCI." "

verizon doesnt even like qwest and they dont want the 2 companies combined, i dont blame them.

whats your take?
sammy2

Apr 28, 2005, 5:37 PM
I wouldn't want them either. I also think that the statements are an attempt to spin the news cycle and influence shareholders.

I particularly found interesting the statement that Qwest would need to have the merger go perfectly in order to experience the synergy savings that is reflected in the proposal. The fact that this has never occured in anyone's history is ignored in Qwest's detailed statment to MCI and the FCC.

As you and I stated before the cards are all in Verizon's hands. I still am curious as to the price Verizon is willing to pay or whether they are truly willing to walk away with the breakup fee.
nextel18

Apr 28, 2005, 5:44 PM
" I still am curious as to the price Verizon is willing to pay or whether they are truly willing to walk away with the breakup fee."

yea, we have discussed this earlier, i belive. they can do 4 things.

1. continue with the merger agreement that they have and continue with the merger process
2. increase the bid
3. bring it to the shareholders
4. leave.

the problem is with number 4, since they are leaving the merger i belive VERIZON would have to pay the breakup fee.

its like this.. they already are in a merger anyway with mcip, it doesnt matter if mcip accepts qwest's bid becuase the merger agreement went through with verizon. now, i think verizon might raise it a bit, but why would they? they synergies will be great but plus...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 29, 2005, 11:47 AM
http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/04/29/0429automar ... »

"Morgan Stanley reiterated an "underweight" rating on Qwest Communications International (nyse: Q - news - people ), citing deteriorating fundamentals in the wireline and the wireless businesses, as well as overhang from ongoing government investigations and shareholder lawsuits. For the first quarter, Morgan estimates a loss per share for Qwest of 8 cents, which is narrower than the consensus of a loss of 10 cents. The research firm said line loss will accelerate to 4.6%, while DSL and long distance subscriber additions will remain depressed through modestly up from the fourth quarter. "We look for wireless to improve in the first quarter with p...
(continues)
nextel18

Apr 28, 2005, 5:31 PM
read this...

"QWEST'S OFFER IS BEYOND ITS MEANS
David M. EwaltQwest already is saddled with $17 billion in debt, and
it's financing more than $7 billion to buy MCI. How
will it pay for it?
http://www.forbes.com/2005/04/25/cx_de_0425qwest.htm ... » "

quite interesting.
verizonmatt

May 26, 2005, 2:59 PM
It actually has, because first quarter reports for this year NEXTEL only seen like a 16% gain in revenue where Verizon Wireless seen a gain of 46% from explosive wireless growth. The last quarter of 2004 Vzw added more customers in that period than all other national carriers combined.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.