Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Analog going away?

jrtm

Mar 1, 2005, 3:06 PM
I have a rep's sales mgr trying to tell me analog will not be supported by anyone end of 2005. He pointed me to a 1999 doc saying end of 2004 for E911 100% of a carriers handsets must have Automatic Location Identification. If these phones were made after 2001 shouldn't they have them, analog or not? I only have 20 users on analog, but they really are in the boonies with both analog and digital handsets. The trimodes can't even get a signal (And they aren't set for digi only either)

I have seen some documentation stating Analog doesn't have to be supported after Feb 2008, but now I can't find it. I know this guy thinks he will be getting upgrade credit for the analogs, but he won't. They are second phones- if they aren't supported ...
(continues)
thehazmat

Mar 1, 2005, 4:13 PM
well it's not a rumor. it's true. digital phones are in. analog uses up more battery and is of lesser quality in general compared to digital phones. bye bye analog, won't miss you 😁
zjc2a

Mar 2, 2005, 4:22 PM
The FCC mandated that analog can NOT be shut down for a few more years. So analog will be around till 2007 i believe is the date. The articles are still around somewhere.

-Z
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 8:07 PM
Dec 31 2006 is the shutoff date for analog system within Cingular. I'm not sure what other companies are doing.
jerrydock

Aug 23, 2005, 4:37 PM
As I understand it from our tower manager, we will not shut off any analog tower; but we will not do any repairs to ones that fail.

I hate to see it go. I get a great signal using a (boosted to 5 watt) motorola analog on my boat. I SCUBA on the 30 mile reef and the reception is terrific from Alltel's analog tower.
colione112

Oct 23, 2005, 11:52 PM
yea your right, not shutting them off, but not repairing them either. The end of life on all analog towers is scheduled for the end of 2008 wether they are working or not.

only 2 yrs to switch to gsm... how many will hold out? any bets?
dave73

Nov 19, 2005, 7:10 AM
Wireless carriers are wanting to drop analog, especially GSM services because most services haven't offered analog only service contracts in a few years. If I remember correctly, Verizon Wireless will turn off their analog towers as well at the end of next year. If you looked at their phone selection, especially their flip phones, they're all-digital dual-band 800/1900 mhz phones. I got a tri-mode phone because a few areas I travel have weak digital signals and analog helps out when I need it. SW Michigan on Alltel has been an area I have had trouble with digital and analog helps a lot when I need to make a call. But Verizon Wireless in northern Indiana has done well for me with my Samsung a650, since it rarely goes into analog.
jkpush

Aug 23, 2005, 4:15 PM
Many cellular carriers will not allow new lines of service for Analog phones, but are allowing current "Analogers" to keep using the phones. As to when Analog will be shut down is hard to say since its a politic issue, there are never dates in black and white when it comes to politics. I do know that a 3-watt amplifier system is a good though expensive way to support bad digital service. Many companies now have repeater systems which require no physical connection to the phone and work very well, Boston amplifier, Wilson, Smoothtalker, Inteligain are just a few of the companies.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.