Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Cingular to close Corporate Stores

diamo100

Jan 12, 2005, 9:23 PM
🙄 Ok today I heard a rumor that Cingular was going to close it's Corporate owned stores and just keep the indirect dealers. Anyone else out there heard such an absurd thing?? That would make no sense but, what does anymore.

Thanks.. Diamo100 from Oregon
diamo100

Jan 12, 2005, 9:37 PM
😢
JessiCSR

Jan 13, 2005, 5:40 PM
Worst. Idea. Ever.
diamo100

Jan 13, 2005, 8:16 PM
yes, I agree but... has anyone heard this??
jramossteel

Jan 14, 2005, 5:06 PM
That is not even true, because customers would rather deal with someone that "knows what they are doing"... Meaning that there are just somethings that a corporate store can do that the agents (indirects) can't.
jenant2004

Jan 14, 2005, 11:18 PM
I have not heard of corporate stores closing. I never ecommend anyone to go to authorized agents. I will always recommend someone to go to the company owned store.
cingagent

Jan 21, 2005, 4:13 PM
Hey first time posting, I work for an actual cingular agent, and i have to say first off, regarding the "indirect agents do not know what they are doing" comment is ridiculous. there are many indirect agents out there that may not know exactly what they are doing, and in fact, in my area, the one corporate store around has more bumbling idiots working for them then the agent i currently work for, and in regards to corporate stores closing, i havent heard any rumors that it is going to happen, but i have heard (from actually the owner of my agent) that the way the trend is going with cingular is that it may be more profitable for cingular to go more towards agent stores and slowly faze out the corporate stores. think about that for a second...
(continues)
diamo100

Jan 24, 2005, 7:03 PM
Well that is an interesting look, I know that there are problems on both ends, we have one corporate store that is just a mess and one in our area that is a indirect dealer that are very "Customer Service Friendly" they call us for the customer and they are just awesome. But, it sure will put a lot of tenured people out of work if it proves true, so my hope is that it is not true
BruceDude

Jan 27, 2005, 11:37 AM
Maybe in your case the indirect dealers are faring better where you live but that statement holds no water on the large scale. If you tried to activate a phone w/ at&t through the indirect channel you'd have to have them call up the order rather than process it for you right in the store. Now I'm igorant of the commisioning structure for your store but you can't expect new stores to pop up for cingular on acct that they would do their business through the indirect channel without them paying a high price to cause people to want to get into the indirect business. It would be a big problem if they tried to regulate anything or control what gets done and what doesn't. If other major characters have direct stores I believe that other people ...
(continues)
Pandit

Feb 28, 2005, 3:11 PM
1. I have heard this rumor coming from my friend at Cingular corporate.. and no he is not a CSR. It's only on the table for discussion... and NOT a decision to be made overnight. A) too many complaints from customers and potential customers with level of service... main complaint, they just want me out the door and take customer after customer for commissions. B) Sales Reps does not help current customers with issues because then they can't make a sale. C) Cost too much to train, and the ending result is they have all the knowledge required, but still lack customer service. D) It is more cost effective to have CSR reps transfered to stores than hire new... because CSRs are trained on all aspects, programs, and Cust. Care.
So they ar...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Feb 28, 2005, 6:32 PM
... and Corporate stores (at least in Dallas) can no longer bill purchases to your account. 😁 Go Authorized Dealers!
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 7:55 PM
They are increasing general access for agents, but they still aren't able to access a customer's account like a corporate store is. As far as a Sales Rep not helping a current customer, is BS. I work for a corp store, and let me tell you, we help everyone that comes into our store, new or current. We take every opportunity to make the sale. Even current customers may need features, granted not as much, but many still need to know about sms, mms, etc.

We have a payment station too, which means we don't really have to offer to review the cust's bill, but we still do, because alot of the time they are paying more than they need to. They thank us when we tell them we can save them money on their bill.

I'm not saying all agents are inc...
(continues)
ccanady

Feb 14, 2005, 4:15 PM
cingagent said:
Hey first time posting, I work for an actual cingular agent, and i have to say first off, regarding the "indirect agents do not know what they are doing" comment is ridiculous. there are many indirect agents out there that may not know exactly what they are doing, and in fact, in my area, the one corporate store around has more bumbling idiots working for them then the agent i currently work for, and in regards to corporate stores closing, i havent heard any rumors that it is going to happen, but i have heard (from actually the owner of my agent) that the way the trend is going with cingular is that it may be more profitable for cingular to go more towards agent stores and slowly faze out the corporate st
(continues)
speedywalk

Jan 24, 2005, 7:37 PM
From what I've been reading (and making the cross-reference checks) it sounds like, if Cingular were to close corporate stores, they would be the "blue" stores that have over saturated several markets. The reason for this is simple: since the stores are superfluous and the "Orange" customers are already accustomed to dealing with the existing Cingular stores, the "blue" stores are bleeding off revenue. In several locations in Tulsa there were AT&T corporate stores within view of a Cingular corporate store. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the layoffs...about 6,800 total from what I've been reading..are from the AT&T side. Take it for what it's worth, just what I've been able to piece together so far. For more info:

http://se »...
(continues)
diamo100

Jan 27, 2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you so much for that link. That is very helpful!!
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 7:47 PM
Actually, they aren't picking "colors" when closing stores. They are looking at gross adds, revenue, and lease byouts when looking at which stores to close. They are closing my store (orange) and relocating us to a nearby blue store because of lease byout and remodel costs.
BruceDude

Jan 27, 2005, 11:11 AM
I seriously doubt that. The indirect dealers are responsible for far more mess-ups than direct dealers are. They will do things like charge a 300$ ETF where as AT&T only requires 175$ ETF. This makes customers livid when they go to an at&t store and decide to cancel and find out later that they owe Wireless Plus or Hickman's Wireless and Beyond 125$.
diamo100

Jan 28, 2005, 5:35 PM
yes, I think the direct dealers can be a bit shady, but there are those that are on the up & up and really do care about customer service
cingcing

Feb 15, 2005, 4:20 PM
OK I've had about enough of this. I never do this but this is a very touchy subject as I am a direct dealer for a legacy "blue" store.
Where I am the "Orange" corporate store was actually shut down leaving us with 5 yes 5 indirect agents after the blue agents were converted sending us the the most dumb ass problems and mistakes you can believe. It seems like the only thing they say for "Customer Service" is "Theres a corporate Store right down the way, they should be able to help you with that."
It is quickly reducing me to a freakin customer service rep. I know I'm a little late with this post but I was reading through this and I could hardly believe what I was reading. For me the thought of a indirect causing anything but...
(continues)
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 7:58 PM
I agree, when the indirect store near us runs into a problem, instead of calling cingular for help, they just tell them to come to our store. We aren't here to fix their problems, they are grownups, they can call and fix their own problems for the customer.
Pandit

Mar 1, 2005, 8:31 PM
I can agree with you to an extent. coming from corporate as a CSR, than sales, now Auth Dealer... that's basically the only complaint from customers. But who can you really blame. It's the commission structure that is set from Orange, Blue, Sprint.. whatever. There is a charge back period... where is the protection for the Dealer? For example, you sell an activation and give them a free phone. Lets say cost is $145. Chargeback period is 180 days. So are you saying that if the customer decides to cancel in 3.5 months.. than basically the Dealer loses their commission and the cost of the phone? Hope that brings more light to the extra ETF charge.

Another thing, it's not fair to say auth dealers causes mess ups.. because that is NOT...
(continues)
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 8:03 PM
How about actually calling customer service like we do most of the time. It takes five minutes, and a cust serv rep on the phone can take care of anything you need done.

We don't do magic because we're a corp store. We just call and get help when needed from 866CINGULAR.
texaswireless

Mar 19, 2005, 7:55 PM
Interesting replies, and a whole load of ignorant comments.

For those who simply collect a check, chew on this for a while.

How much does it cost for the following:

Rent
Utilities
Payroll
Insurance
Etc.

Give up?

Almost the same amount as it costs carriers to pay commissions to agents, without the risk of the lease and a potential poor location.

Agents serve a purpose, period. You call center yahoos may not like them, but your view is skewed sitting behind that desk. Bash them all you want, we take a risk that you are unwilling to take. Cingular is making efforts to improve customer experience across all distribution channels. Personally my stores averaged 85% satisfaction, much better than Cingular's overall average...
(continues)
colione112

Jul 17, 2005, 7:45 PM
Not true entirely....

They are closing Corp stores, but only one's that are to close together because of the ATT thing...

They are consolidating stores.
They are keeping indirect stores.
They are getting rid of indirect stores that sell more than one service in that location. (cingular,verizon,sprint).

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.