Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 53 replies

Verizon??????????

cellgruntled

Dec 16, 2004, 1:13 PM
😕 can anyone PLEASE explain why verizon cannot put out a good non camera,color screen,speakerphone,real external id(not just one line)tri mode from moto.
shadedpain4

Dec 16, 2004, 1:26 PM
Because up until recently there hasnt been a big demand for them. Now that a lot of businesses are not allowing camera phones, there is a demand for phones with lots of features without having a camera.
cellgruntled

Dec 16, 2004, 4:59 PM
I just re-uped with verizon Monday.......3 phones without cameras.no moto's
majorxero

Dec 18, 2004, 7:54 PM
From everything I hear, Moto is working on quality non-cam phones for VZW as we speak. I've lost a lot of faith in Motorola as of late with the T-series and I'm hearing not-so-positive stuff from the V-series too (not just the V710 for VZW). I just got the LG VX4500 and I'm really happy with it, though I wish I could close the shell when I have the speakerphone on.
cellgruntled

Dec 19, 2004, 2:32 PM
Thank's for the reply....I to am unhappy with moto's current VZW line up
Pictor

Feb 1, 2005, 8:36 AM
I just picked up a V265 for the wife and it's great. I like it much better than my VX7000 from LG. Moto makes the V260 (same phone sans camera) but you won't find it in a Verizon store. At least not in this area.
dkhound

Aug 31, 2005, 1:48 PM
Try the LG VX4650 that is an awesome phone with drvivng mode and Motorola sucks bad. The charging ports are bad and the software has been horrible.
BetterThanJake

Dec 19, 2004, 3:57 AM
cellgruntled said:
I just re-uped with verizon Monday.......3 phones without cameras.no moto's

Actually, there IS a Verizon Moto phone without a camera... the V260.

You may not have seen it because it isn't on the website and only Radio Shack seems to carry it so far.
cellgruntled

Dec 19, 2004, 2:30 PM
Thank's for the info .I will check with radio shack Monday.
BetterThanJake

Dec 19, 2004, 6:15 PM
Glad to be of help. Here's a link if you want to preview it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname ... »
TommyBoy

Dec 20, 2004, 11:10 PM
There is always a reason Verizon direct does not carry or promote a certain model. Be careful of buying a phone based on the specs. If verizon tested it and feel like the phone works well enough they will offer it. I don't see why people are so partial to motos anyway... Lg seems to work so much better on vzws network than the other manufacturers. Also people seem to think that trimode is the cure-all. I have used all digital phones for the past 3 years and they have been perfectly fine. If you go to verizonwireless.com and do a coverage search for your area it will show you if there is digital coverage.. you maybe very surprised.
rafki12

Dec 27, 2004, 10:07 AM
I agree that Verizon has little to do with their phone selection. One exeption of course is quality. As long as manufacturers meet VZW's performance requirements, phones get approved.
They sell wireless service, they are not in the phone business.
Manufacturers tend to dictate features and style. Most have done a poor job giving customers what they want.
In the past, they concentrated on building for the most popular demographic. Looks outweighed function, and it was a race to build phones that looked cutting edge just to win the market. I can't think of any other reason for the flood of so many models that eventually were dropped in less than 2 years.

As wireless changed from luxury to necessity, so did the customers, Some peo...
(continues)
trucksmoveamerica

Feb 19, 2005, 9:03 AM
You are right on the digital coverage map, there is a lot of red showing the digital area. You dont understand why people want the tri-modes, I can explain that for you. All though verizon shows a lot of digital areas, and a lot of customers live in the cities where the all digital phones work fine, not all of us have that luxury. Some of us use phones in rural areas and sometimes we need analog to use the phone. Where I operate my phone most, it shows those areas as being all digital, then how come I use analog every once in while? There are times that I am using digital, then the next day in the same area, I am using analog. And the person next to me with the all digital phone that does not have a siginal is not all to happy about it...
(continues)
bpar

Sep 16, 2005, 8:26 PM
Amen, I live in one ofthose areas.
juice13

Jan 31, 2005, 11:57 PM
If "The Shack" carries it but not Verizon directly I would caution against purchasing it. Typically this means that if you need a warranty replacement they ship one out to you rather than being able to just pick one up at your local store.
Corpo Rat

Feb 1, 2005, 12:07 PM
juice13 said:
If "The Shack" carries it but not Verizon directly I would caution against purchasing it. Typically this means that if you need a warranty replacement they ship one out to you rather than being able to just pick one up at your local store.

This is absolutely correct. Lots of horror stories with the Motorola C333 (the 343 with a monochrome screen) came about because of that.
RochesterVZWRep

Dec 24, 2004, 9:27 AM
It is not Verizon Wireless that cannot put out a good non camera phone with external caller id. It is up to motorola to say wqhat we have avaialble as they spread out the phones to different carriers. So verizon wireless can only sell what thye are given to chose from.
cellgruntled

Dec 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the info 🙂
jmc53

Dec 30, 2004, 9:26 AM
It's all driven by profit: phone selection, features, plan options, etc.

Take a large carrier with a large coverage area like Verizon. There's more incentive to push high profit items such as pictures, video, data services, than to add users. It's cheaper to get more profit from the users you have than to add capacity and marketing to attract new customers. Transmitting pictures, PDA phones, doesn't take much capacity or bandwidth, where adding new customers means new towers, capacity (expense). Hence, the Verizon trend for the last year to not offer any new, non-camera phones, just "trendy" cameras and expensive PDA's. Profit for large carriers is in the services sold, not the phones.

Smaller carriers who don't have the coverage o...
(continues)
Stevo2k4

Feb 1, 2005, 11:35 AM
cellgruntled said:
😕 can anyone PLEASE explain why verizon cannot put out a good non camera,color screen,speakerphone,real external id(not just one line)tri mode from moto.

Wow. That's quite specific.

So you want a phone without a camera
a phone with a color screen
a phone with a speakerphone
a phone with an external caller id
the external id must be more than 1 line
a phone that is tri-mode (assuming anlog, digi, PCS)

Well that's quite specific, as I said before, and it will never happen. Especially the tri-mode part. VzW has expressed that tri-mode phone's will more or less be a thing of the past as having anolog mode slightly decreases performance and analog areas are quickly disappeari...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
Hasbro is smarter than most cell phone makers. They at least had the concept back with Transformers that parts could be removed.

Example: it would not be too hard to make the cell phone so that the Camera could be easily popped out and removed. This way...you can have the camera as needed. And remove it if there is any situation requiring no-camera restrictions.

Heck...if they were smart they'd make it an expansion slot...
Darth_Ix

Feb 1, 2005, 12:39 PM
Just the hint of photo functionality (or data exchange) makes most security sensitive complanies chringe. The thinking behind excluding cameras from the workplace is for security. Who's to say that just because you don't have a camera in your phone now your not going to pop one in, take a picture of the inner workings of a nuke, and sell it on eBay to some terrorist. Just because it doesn't have a camera in it now doesn't mean that a company is going to have any less reservations about it. If it can take a picture it very well could. That is why companies ban camera phones and that is why they would ban phones with expansion slots able to take a camera.
theSaj

Feb 1, 2005, 1:16 PM
Then simply sell a backplate replacement (or version sold with alternative backplate) that fits over when camera is not installed.

Makes a lot better sense than HTC 6600 with the lenses removed and a cheap sticker placed over....doesn't it?
Darth_Ix

Feb 8, 2005, 8:22 PM
What's to keep a person from simply poping off the back plate, installing a camera, and snapping a few pictures to sell to rebels? It still has the potential to take pictures. just because you desgise the phone doen't alliviate the problem and it creates a new one. Any employee who is willing to hide the fact that thier phone has the potential is indicitive of ethical issues and employers aren't willing to chance that.
theSaj

Feb 9, 2005, 9:33 AM
What's to prevent someone from just putting a small piece of black plastic over the existing camera and claiming it doesn't have a camera.

I mean, after all...that's about the only aesthetic difference with the non-camera version. I imagine someone could easily put a similar cover over the camera'ed version and most people would be none the wiser.

And there are much better cameras to smuggle in for that purpose. Furthermore, I see this argument as rather moot as nearly any of the new PDA with the SDIO card slot can have a camera added. So your point? Should ALL these phones be banned?
Darth_Ix

Feb 9, 2005, 3:24 PM
All of these phones have been banned in many instalations along with PDA's and flash memmory devices. No phones, camera's, or anything that can download data are aloud onto military bases or into boeing or microsoft. So not only should they be banned but they are.
theSaj

Feb 9, 2005, 3:45 PM
Wow...than if all PDAs, flash memory devices, etc are banned. Why remove the camera when the entire device is already restricted?

So now you're telling me I've lost the opportunity to have a camera in my device simply because cameras are not allowed by such places, which ban the ENTIRE device.

So since those devices are actually not even allowed. Why not let me keep my camera...?

I am really failing to see your reasoning or logic here. "Said devices are banned in certain places. Since entire said device is banned. What point is there in removing the camera from said device."

The above argument you made is a red herring.

*shrug*

I need a better one than that...
Darth_Ix

Feb 9, 2005, 9:54 PM
You can keep your phone with camera... out in your car off sight. I'm not saying the device itself should be banned, but if you want one and you are an employee of any of these companies accept that you won't be able to take your phone on sight with you. And as far as a red herring try telling that to all of the Boeing employees, microsoft employees and US Soldiers from Fort Lewis I get in the store telling me they can't have a camera in thier phone because of the policies in effect. And I will try to use your logic the next time I go to the Paintball course at Fort Lewis and they ask me to check my V551. My point is why make a phone like that (with a removable camera)when it is just going to be covered under the ban anyway. that is my ...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 10, 2005, 9:31 AM
Fine...

But I am not am employee of any of those companies. I am allowed to bring a cell phone to my office. I am allowed to bring a camera equipped device into my office.

So why not let me make the choice as to whether I need the camera or not? In fact some businesses like "realty" NEED a camera.

Furthermore, I will tell any Boeing employee. That if you are not allowed to bring a PDA or cell phone to work. Then you should have NO COMPLAINTS about a cell phone PDA being equipped with a camera. Cause even without the camera you cannot bring it to work. There I just said it.

I understand some places can and some places can't have cameras. Understandable. But as this model was originally made and designed with a camera it'd be g...
(continues)
3Gstepps

Feb 12, 2005, 9:49 AM
Audiovox has the PPC6601 no camera and the PPC6600 with camera. some musmems ban cameras but not phones, but camera phones are banned Cell phone makers arent idots its the carriers but then they aren't really. They supply waht customers want and business' drives a lot of carriers. If the business says they won't allow camera phones then the carriers have the cell phone makers make phones without cameras. The phnes with out the lens and just a sticker over them I wouldn't allow in my business. I know how easy it is to fix that. Its not as simple as adding a camera to the phone later. Have to have FCC approval because the camera electronics changes the raditation spectrum on the phone. That's why Audiovox hasnt released the PPC 6600 camera sma...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 16, 2005, 11:13 AM
And as I said, a modular design allows for the need to be met when it's needed.

So does adding a WiFi or camera to the SD slot. That's allowed. It can be done.

Just like PDA's work much better in the wide form factor, but because everyone's so locked into the "Palm Pilot" design very few will dare to try something different. Even if there's quite a bit of positive feedback.

*shrug*
Ascension007

Feb 22, 2005, 9:30 PM
It won't matter. While it's true a lot of companies don't like camera phones due to security, if a person really wanted to get a camera in there they would. There are more reasons than you think why companies would not want phones in there anyway.
theSaj

Feb 23, 2005, 9:16 AM
Especially since any cell phone is a recording device. I can easily call my LiveJournal account and have it record my phone call. Or many other software or telephone server products.
trucksmoveamerica

Feb 19, 2005, 10:38 AM
I want a camera phone, oh, please, can I have one, I wish I could have a camera phone, that would be so cool, can someone tell me how to get a camera phone, where can I get one, just to think, I could take a picture and talk on the same device, get over it, go buy a damn camera, it will take better pictures anyway, get over the camera phone, I cant believe everyone thinks they have to have one, they are not that special, take shady pictures. I am betting these posts are from high schoolers, the same ones that get all excited and jump up and down when kenny chesney is in town. Grow up, life is not all fun and games, the sooner you learn that, the better..... 👿 🙄 😕 😡
theSaj

Feb 21, 2005, 9:37 AM
I own a nice digital SLR camera. I own a small pocket camera/camcorder. Now I have to carry an additional pager from work. I need a PDA.

I am just tired of having so much to fricken carry....

I can't believe there are people who think they know what I need or not....

So why don't you go and be off with your little camera-less self.
trucksmoveamerica

Feb 23, 2005, 11:02 AM
If you are tired of having so much to carry, quit, go find yourself a better job so you dont have to carry so much. I dont know what the hell you need or dont need, and I dont care what you need, or should I say you THINK you need for your job. I am referring to the teenagers that are the main reason camera phones are on the market. I thought I was pretty clear there when I said it at the bottom about high schooler writing a lot of these posts, the same ones that get all excited and jump up and down when kenny chesney comes to town, or, maybe you do the same when he comes to town, if so, that is ok, after all it is your business..

and where did I say anything about a pda phone, I dont think I ever did say anything about that, so, that ...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
Sorry...if I responded too harshly but I've had 10 or so people tell me "what I need or don't need" so I think I took it as more of the same. And this thread was spawned originally by the Audiovox 6600 PDA phone.

My argument, is that the cell phone makers (and I think this is evidenced by the many differing needs expressed in the forums) are missing the boat when it comes to meeting the individuality needs. Many people want a scaled down simple, basic, easily handled phone. Others want features. Some need/want PDAs. Some need/want cameras. Some do NOT need/want cameras.

Many times it seems like the phone companies build this great fancy Swiss army knife and it's got a bunch of nice features...but they forget the "knife".

In my ca...
(continues)
trucksmoveamerica

Feb 24, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cant argue with that one. It would be nice someday to have a choice of what we can get. I dread the time I have to get a new phone, I am not looking forward to it at all, and hope it does not come for years, I might be shopping ebay for one like I have now.
trucksmoveamerica

Feb 24, 2005, 11:18 AM
I just re-read my reply to you, and I kind of came across a little harsher then I usually do, sorry about that, I must have been a little bit irritable that day, the kids mush have been climbing the curtains again. 😁

Now as for people telling you what to get, tell them to stuff a sock in their holes. I personally think that the LG4400 is the best phone that verizon has offered in the past 2 years, and I want another one, but they dont offer it, other people will tell you that the 4400 is a waste of money, and junk, but, I know 5 people that have them, and they all love them and have used the crap out of them, I have over 33.000 minutes on mine and works like it was new. I always say that verizon got rid of that phone because it worke...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
no prob....i've done it many a times, and a few times in this thread...

we're human, we're programmed to defend ourselves... LOL
Digital Pimp

Feb 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
theSaj said:
Hasbro is smarter than most cell phone makers. They at least had the concept back with Transformers that parts could be removed.

Example: it would not be too hard to make the cell phone so that the Camera could be easily popped out and removed. This way...you can have the camera as needed. And remove it if there is any situation requiring no-camera restrictions.

Sony Ericsson made phones and you can still find them that is not a camera UNTIL you add the camera attachment. Also Motorola 720i phone had the ability to be a camera ONLY with the camera attachement. So before you go bantering on about "stupid" cellular phone make...
(continues)
theSaj

Feb 3, 2005, 1:06 PM
Yes, there are exceptions that have a feature here or there.

But there is no excuse for poor design. I've done my homework.

First off, there is a difference between an engineer and a designer. However, it does not take a BS degree to know a bad design or a failure of design when seen.

I don't want to devote my life to making a good cell phone. But I would like to be able to buy a decent full featured well thought out cell phone design.

You're argument is a logical fallacy. Don't like it build yourself. Sure, if I had the backing of millions of $$$ I would. I don't.

I've expressed some ideas. Heck, they won't even take ideas thanks to lawsuits and legal implications.

But the result, is I am the consumer...and I'll ful...
(continues)
Shoota

Feb 3, 2005, 6:42 PM
Digital Pimp said:
theSaj said:

Sony Ericsson made phones and you can still find them that is not a camera UNTIL you add the camera attachment. Also Motorola 720i phone had the ability to be a camera ONLY with the camera attachement. So before you go banterin
(continues)
Grantizzle

Feb 3, 2005, 6:51 PM
don't forget about the sidekick 1. they had the detachable camera as well.
Disciple247365

Mar 8, 2005, 6:06 PM
Nokia and Sony Ericsson already make detachable cameras for some of their GSM-capable handsets.
theSaj

Mar 10, 2005, 4:44 PM
Nice to know they're getting smarter....
theSaj

Feb 21, 2005, 9:45 AM
Because these phone makers have not moved into the modular design philosophy that is necessary for meeting differing people's.

Thus they continue the poor design philosophy of unique feature focus.

The camera should be a simple modular replacement back that plugs into the camera. Then it could easily be sold with or without camera to the client's need. Or easily up or down graded at a later date.
nodeposit

Feb 24, 2005, 12:12 PM
Just because they have all those extra features on them, doesn't mean you have to use them. They don't force you to. Do you use every option on your car? What about your T.V.? Do you buy running shoes? Do you run in them? Do you complain about all those extra things? I am pretty sure the companies know what they are doing, and that is why they are still in business. Why don't you start your own company and make your own phones how you like them and see how many people just want a plain phone.
theSaj

Feb 24, 2005, 12:16 PM
Okay...am a touch confused? (Cause your post seems to support my argument rather than be an argument against it.)

No...I don't use every feature. I'm not the one ASKING for a featureless phone. But I understand some need such. I am asking that I have the camera and just because certain users don't want a camera...all users should not suffer.

Not all who buy running shoes need to run. But if I bought running shoes....I'd expect them to be capable of running. I'd be pretty miffed if the running shoes had no traction simply because x number of other customers stated they don't run in their running shoes.
nodeposit

Feb 24, 2005, 4:17 PM
I was responding to the person who started this thread, not yours. Sorry for the confusion.
ALW1784

Mar 8, 2005, 3:50 PM
More than likely because Motorola is junk.
ihatecellular

Mar 10, 2005, 4:32 PM
they used to be hot but now their phone are crap with ****ty operating systems and bugs that just won't go away
SellFone

Mar 12, 2005, 11:05 AM
Agreed,

Motorola has yet to produce a quality handset since the late startac. I believe their current charging port will be the death of them unless something is changed.

SellFone
everman

Sep 10, 2005, 4:09 PM
bump

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.