Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

Bluetooth and 1xEV-DO

Yama

Oct 13, 2004, 7:29 PM
I'm on the Verizon network and live in Washington, DC; where VZW has rolled out 1xEV-DO service. I am REALLY interested in a phone that has both Bluetooth and 1xEV-DO. Being able to use it as a Bluetooth modem on the 1xEV-DO network for my laptop (and/or Palm T5) would be nirvana. Does anyone know if someone is planning a CDMA phone with 1xEV-DO and Bluetooth and if so, what is it and when will it be introduced?

Thanks in advance!
southwestcomm

Oct 14, 2004, 2:37 PM
You won't be able to. You will be able to access the network with your phone but not able to use the Bluetooth to connect to your laptop. It appears Verizon requires the use of their air cards for that and lock-down the data transfer capability in their handsets.
Rich Brome

Oct 14, 2004, 3:27 PM
That's not true. The Motorola V710 lets you connect to the Internet via Bluetooth.

Verizon has always let people connect to the Internet by tethering with a cable between the phone and a laptop, and if the V710 is any indication, they will allow this via Bluetooth as well. There's no reason why they wouldn't, and I also can't see why they would change their policy for EV-DO.

It's Sprint that locks down tethering. They stopped selling data cables altogether, and it's prohibited by their terms of use. It's because of their cheap unlimited pricing, which is only supposed to be used with a phone, not a laptop.

Verizon doesn't have that problem. They charge data by the minute, or under expensive unlimited plans. So they have no reason to...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.