Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

show all 9 replies

GSM MVNO choices

pickles

Mar 23, 2011, 7:04 PM
Alright so currently i have t-mobile, i'm paying about $74 after taxes for 500 minutes, and unlimited text and data and insurance on a G1. I still have some time left on my contract and the ETF is $200. I'm willing to pay that if I can save enough money somewhere else.

I really only use my phone for text and email. Email is not even crucial, it's only a luxury. Only reason I check it on my phone is because it's automatic.

I use seriously 30-50 minutes a month, 1000-2000 text messages, and less than 30MB of data. I feel like I'm throwing money away on a phone I don't even need or use to it's fullest extent.

Anybody have any reccomendations for prepaid GSM carriers that would better suit my needs and save me lots of money? Prefer a...
(continues)
cstone

Mar 24, 2011, 8:44 PM
Have you taken a look at T-Mobile's Prepay? $50 gets you Unlimited talk and text and 100 MB of data. There is also a $30 plan that gives you 1500 minutes which can be used for talking or texting. Each text costs 1 minute and that plan comes with 30 MB of web as well.

For what they are they are both pretty good deals, neither one of them would be perfect for your needs but the $50 plan would still work well. I'm sure someone else will have other ideas on this as well.
pickles

Mar 24, 2011, 9:22 PM
i thought about it. reason i was interested in MVNOs is because i have a cingular motorola razr v3xx, and I was hoping to find a cheap prepaid provider on the at&t network. those t-mobile plans look pretty good, especially the $50. would a tmo prepaid sim work in my g1?

what do you think of at&t gophone? I could get unlimited SMS/MMS for 19.95 a month and add 100 minutes for $10 (10 cents a min). Data would be nice, not a necessity for me. I'm assuming tmobile prepaid would have a different coverage map than the postpaid, i'll have to look into it. part of the reason i'm disappointed in tmo is lack of reliable coverage inside my home.

thanks for the advice cstone, any more advice anybody can give to me would be MUCH appreciated
cstone

Mar 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
The T-Mo prepaid SIM would definately work in your G1, no problems there. But if you are having issues with service in your house it definitely isn't going to be any better on T-Mo prepaid. So in that respect you are probably better off going with another carrier that has good service in your area. I haven't used T-Mobile prepay myself but I work in T-Mobile sales so I look at the maps all the time. I have found very few differences between the two and all the differences I have found are areas that are roaming generally have no prepay coverage.

I have no experience with GoPhone myself so I can't comment on their service, but that sounds like a decent deal. T-Mobile has something similar. $15 for unlimited texting and $.10 a minute for ca...
(continues)
pickles

Mar 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
yeah my G1 is already unlocked, t-mobile gave me the unlock code. i used it with a telcel sim just fine last time i went to mexico. if i did use it on at&t, i'm pretty sure i would only have edge...not that it matters much for calling/texting. the coverage issue in my house is frustrating, but not life-threatening. i don't use my phone for business (obviously) or anything like that. i think i may just try my G1 on tmobile prepaid. now i just have to decide if it's worth paying my $200 ETF to save $24~ a month.
cstone

Mar 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
How far are you into your contract? If you are close to a year you might want to wait because at a year the ETF will go down to $100.
pickles

Mar 26, 2011, 4:13 PM
it will? interesting...i've had service with them for about a year and a half and was told by a store rep that my ETF would be $200. guess i'll have to call or go to a different store or something
Eruaphadion

Apr 2, 2011, 11:12 AM
Your ETF goes down to $100 when you are 180 days from the end of your contract, then to $50 when you are 90 days away.
melaimaglente

Jun 6, 2011, 3:44 PM
why not finish your contract instead so you'll not pay any ETF ahehehe 🙂
melaimaglente

Jun 6, 2011, 3:43 PM
prepay ? or prepaid ? aheehhe 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2020 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.