Home  ›  Forums  ›

General

all discussions

show all 7 replies

new phone suggestions? at&t cutomer

ellenfl

Nov 30, 2010, 8:33 PM
i want to upgrade my motorola v190 (and my bf's sony-ericsson z500a) to a side slider with a qwerty keyboard. i do not want 3g because i do not want to be forced to buy a data plan. i wouldn't mind having wi-fi though.

i'm looking at the samsung b3410 (even though no wi-fi). will i be able to use this phone by just inserting my sim card?

any other side slider phone suggestions?

i got stung once buying a motorola v180 on ebay and it was in chinese. don't wanna go through that again.

tia
Fredd

Dec 1, 2010, 11:04 AM
Having a 3G phone does not require a data plan, having a Smartphone does.
Non-smartphone sliders currently available are:
LG Vu Plus
Pantech Impact
Pantech Pursuit
Pantech Ease
Pantech Laser
Samsung Flight
Sharp FX

Several other options are available, go to http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-servic e/cell-phones/ and filter for Quick Messaging phones.
slolearner

Dec 1, 2010, 1:05 PM
I'm going to amend your list.

Pantech Link
Pantech Impact
Pantech Pursuit
Pantech Ease*
Pantech Laser*
Samsung Evergreen
Samsung Flight II*
Samsung Solstice II*

I would avoid LG phones, and the FX. The two new LGs screens go out in 3-6 months, and the FX does not survive drops well.

*The Flight II and the Solstice II have newer Samsung capacitive displays that are much more responsive than traditional resistive displays. If you like a simple phone, check out the Pantech Ease. Finally, the Pantech Laser has one of the nicer cameras in the bunch, and is very slim.
Fredd

Dec 1, 2010, 3:43 PM
Thanks for adding in! Also good to hear some opinions on the devices.
ellenfl

Dec 1, 2010, 9:37 PM
any suggestions for older phones? i want to buy a phone without a contract so i am looking for inexpensive older versions.

as for the data plans, how can i know that at&t won't charge me if a phone that i purchase states that it supports 3g?

also, as i understand it, as long as the phone is gsm (quad), it is usable in the u.s. but possibly not supported by at&t. is that right? i would guess my v190 was not supported by at&t but i never had to ask them for support.

again, i'm leaning toward the samsung b3410w ch@t, which seems to be a european model. is it fair to assume that all manufacturers have gone international and their phones will work anywhere in the world?

tia
Fredd

Dec 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
Just make sure it is not a smartphone.
slolearner

Dec 5, 2010, 2:05 PM
ellenfl said:
any suggestions for older phones? i want to buy a phone without a contract so i am looking for inexpensive older versions.

As I understand it, you want an older slider? There isn't much out there that held up to the test of time, especially among the slide/touch phones. A personal favorite is the original Samsung Flight. It is semi-compact and the screen won't go out on you after six months.

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2308 »

If I may ask, what is your aversion to extending your contract?

ellenfl said:
as for the data plans, how can i know that at&t won't charge me if a phone that i purchase states that it supports 3g?

Don't use the 3...
(continues)
Hombre07

Dec 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
Tia-

Purchasing a 3G phone will not make you get a data plan. Data plans are required with any smartphone such as a Blackberry, iPhone, or Android phone. Any QMD (quick messaging device) will only require a messaging package.

That phone appears like it will work on AT&T. The frequencies are there. As long as it's unlocked.

Have you considering upgrading and signing another 2 year contract? If your using a V190 you've been out for several years. You could get a new AT&T phone with a warranty on a subsidized price. Would recommend the Samsung Flight II or the Pantech Laser. Both good messaging phones.

Hope I've helped.

Jeremy

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2020 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.