Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Sprint's EV-DO vs. Cingular's EDGE

RayMo

Jul 19, 2006, 5:37 PM
Basically, which is faster, cingular's EDGE technology or Sprint's EV-DO. I heard much about verizon's EV-DO vs Cingular's EDGE. And Verizon's EV-DO is said to be a lot faster, but is it the same with Sprint knwoing they do have different coverage areas. Does anyone actually have the 8125 vs, the PPC 6700. Also does anyone the call quality as well with those two phones and how they compare.
nextel18

Jul 19, 2006, 6:22 PM
Are you kidding me? Please compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. If you compared their EDGE to Sprint’s 1xrtt then that is something, but to compare EDGE to DO it isn’t fair for Cingular because DO destroys EDGE.

Sprint’s EV-DO is actually a bit faster than Verizon’s DO. I have tested both, and my conclusion is that Sprint’s is better and their net ads vs. Verizon’s show that. I also noticed that coverage seemed to be better with Sprint’s DO than Verizon’s. (This is from my own testing to my friends testing throughout this country. Indicators and forecasters agree too)

(Obviously, the tests were in the same coverage areas)
ANS Mule

Jul 19, 2006, 7:00 PM
Okay, this is where all this gets me laughing. EDGE is an upgrade of the GPRS network. Which runs using a TDMA signal. NOW EV-DO is a version of CDMA, the next gen. So yes, it is indeed faster. It also accounts for Verison and Sprints exceptional coverage while IN NETWORK. They how ever have the smallest networks regarding CDMA.

Cingular too has a CDMA next generation which is comparable, though its CDMA service is UMTS - HSDPA, which I might add, the rest of the world, which used GSM as a standard, its also moving to UMTS - HSDPA. Which will then be the world standard. Not Verisons and Sprints EV-DO, which is why they fall short of international capabilities.

Currently cingular has only 20 matropolises in the US using CDMA's UMTS HSD...
(continues)
sigmamason

Jul 20, 2006, 2:12 PM
Cingular will implement WCDMA which is not the same as CDMA 🙄

Anyone using a CDMA phone WILL NOT be able to to better network clarity. This might apply to GSM phones, but not to CDMA.

WCDMA

(Wideband Code Division Multiple Access)

Wideband CDMA is a third-generation (3G) wireless standard which utilizes one 5 MHz channel for both voice and data, initially offering data speeds up to 384 Kbps.

WCDMA is also referred to as UMTS - the two terms have become interchangeable.

WCDMA is the 3G standard that most GSM carriers are moving to. Parts of the WCDMA standard are based on GSM technology. WCDMA networks are designed to integrate with GSM networks at certain levels. Most WCDMA phones include GSM as well, for backward com...
(continues)
Data_King

Jul 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
That is all great but in a year Verizon and Sprint will have deployed EVDO RevA which will make the Cingular upgrade obsolete again. Lets face the facts, Cingular will continue to be 12-18 month behind the market unless they take on some major debt to catch up. The already have a very high debt ratio so I don't see it happening any time soon.

And FYI EVDO uses TDMA based technology, I know it is ironic.
nyz

Aug 12, 2006, 1:34 AM
12-18 months behind?

Major debt?

Face the facts, its pretty obvious you are bias when what you fail to mention is Cingular's top position in the market, who has a largest data footprint in the nation, not to mention the same data technology that just happens to be used around the whole WORLD?

btw.. explain how EVDO (DATA ONLY) is better than 3G HSPDA which allows you to make a call and send/receive data all at once, something that VZ clearly cant provide.

Face it CDMA is at its peak, and theres only so much more bells and whistles you can do with it..
Data_King

Sep 12, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well it is pretty simple. HSDPA does share it's bandwidth with Voice. That means when the 57Million Cinglar Customers start making phone calls the data speeds slow down. With EVDO the Data has its own channel and is not impacted when the 55 VZW customers are making calls.

As far as your comment about the "Largest data footprint" that is their EDGE network and not HSDPA. HSDPA is only available in 17 markets. EVDO will cover over 200 Million people by the end of the year.

And if you are going to base what is good based off the rest of the WORLD, you may want to start showering every 3-4 days and start measuring in mm...
raycarroll70

Sep 12, 2006, 8:17 AM
From what I've experienced having used both Sprint and Verizon's EVDO Rev 0 devices back in Central Florida, the data speeds and network coverage was quite comparable. The big question now is which of the 2 carriers is going to have Rev A deployed first which is going to be a considerable uplink/downnlink boost. When it comes to EVDO versus EDGE, you might as well put a Yugo next to a Peugeot. Here's some good 411 about the differences.

http://powervision.sprint.com/mobilebroadband/casest ... »
chocolateman85006

Nov 29, 2006, 2:58 PM
Either one beats t-mobile's internet
SPCSVZWJeff

Nov 29, 2006, 4:43 PM
Have you forgotten about revision B or the possibility of resurrecting EVDV?
Most carriers worldwide are having a dickens of a time making HSDPA work correctly. Even Cingular has some issues with it and they have been more successful than anyone else.
This argument will continue until 4G is common. EVDO and HSDPA are very evenly matched. One certainly does not have a clear, practical advantage over the other.
CamelTowing

Dec 3, 2006, 11:00 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Have you forgotten about revision B or the possibility of resurrecting EVDV?
Most carriers worldwide are having a dickens of a time making HSDPA work correctly. Even Cingular has some issues with it and they have been more successful than anyone else.
This argument will continue until 4G is common. EVDO and HSDPA are very evenly matched. One certainly does not have a clear, practical advantage over the other.

Would you mind telling us what carriers are having trouble? Telstra in Australia offers 98% of it's population HSDPA at rates up to 3.6(they replaced their cdma-evdo network with hsdpa). In Italy, 3 and Vodaphone have almost completed their hsdpa launches with no problems. SK Tel...
(continues)
ImthaJugganaut

Aug 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
Data_King said:
That is all great but in a year Verizon and Sprint will have deployed EVDO RevA which will make the Cingular upgrade obsolete again. Lets face the facts, Cingular will continue to be 12-18 month behind the market unless they take on some major debt to catch up. The already have a very high debt ratio so I don't see it happening any time soon.

And FYI EVDO uses TDMA based technology, I know it is ironic.

I have to disagree. HSDPA will be on par with Rev A. If only slightly slower and that's just the first version of HSDPA. The upgrade path for HSDPA is very promising. HSUPA and MIMO will take HSDPA to the front and keep them there. But Rev A is the top of the food chain for CDMA and w...
(continues)
SPCSVZWJeff

Nov 29, 2006, 4:50 PM
REV A is certainly not the top of the food chain for CDMA There is the upcoming REV B and others in the works. Sprint is gearing to 4G to fulfill an obligation to the government in order to keep some licenses. EVDO and HSDPA will compete very favorably for a long time.
ANS Mule

Jul 19, 2006, 7:04 PM
Also, I might add. The reason Verison and Sprint were able to upgrade to this next gen service over their network isnt because their better. Its because they have smaller networks, lest costs and time involved. Thats also why Japan is at 5G technology regarding their phones. They have a Island to upgrade. Not a continent. Notice that?
unzip7

Jul 20, 2006, 8:51 AM
Does any Sprint employee or engineer know when the Sprint Ev-Do network will be completed nation wide or on the rural areas on the interstate system. They said last year it would be completed by the end of 06 and I was just wondering if this is still the case.
nextel18

Jul 20, 2006, 9:35 AM
If I recall, EV-DO will be nationwide by the end of this year, 06, with REV O and REV A to be completed on the network by 07.
monkeyracer

Sep 19, 2006, 1:54 AM
Has anyone seen the recent commercials?
There are two specifically about this:

One where a guy is sitting in a plaza downloading a file for work on his EDGE card, then a guy sits down and downloads a similar file five times faster on his Sprint EVDO card. The Sprint using guy walks away and buzzards land next to the Cingular using guy.

The other is a clip from an old tv show where a guy slaps the S*$^ out of some fool to demonstrate how much faster Sprint is compared to Cingular.

Hands down EVDO wins, with rev A cards available now (and the release in major cities in the next few months) at speeds on average of 450-850kbps download, and 300-700kpbs download, there's nothing anyone else has really touching that. Once 4G networks ar...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.