Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 5 replies

SLOW SLOW cell phone as a modum - HELP

PJ-LG

Dec 10, 2005, 7:15 AM
I have a LG 6100, my brother has a LG 6000. When we use a Cell Phone-USB Cable to hook up to our laptops, the internet speed is very very SLOW. The connection speed shows as 115 kbps but the actual speed is much much slower than my 56K dial up Desktop!!!!
Does anyone know why my actual speed is so slow AND what can I do to increase the speed. I believe that a cell hook-up should be FAST!!!!!
PLEASE reply w/ advice / info.
Thanks.
MIKE3222

Dec 10, 2005, 8:18 AM
tethering for internet is a very slow way to connect. unless you are using an evdo phone to connect in an evdo area, such as the new blackberry. but as far as using a 6100, yeah it's going to be very slow, typically slower than dial-up. i would suggest getting an air card if you can afford to do that for $60 a month.
Vox Dei

Dec 12, 2005, 4:12 PM
Where are you dialing up to? are you dialing into your cellphone providers 1x network (#777 or something like that) or are you dialing into a third party dialup connection?
PJ-LG

Dec 12, 2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the response.
I'm Dialing into my ISP, just like I do with my Desktop via the hard phone line. I have a 56k modem. I've ordered a Verizon Mobile Office Kit - my Verizon guy says I should get 60 - 80 kbps with this. Not quite DSL but better than my desktop.
I odored it Fed Ex Next Day so it will be here tomorrow Tues. 13th If I don't get more speed I WILL be on the phone to the Verizon MOKit tech group!!!!!
Please advise if there is any way to get my generic kit to work. Rumor has it that the Verizon Software will "work" with the Verizon phone, etc. etc.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks, Paul.
Vox Dei

Dec 13, 2005, 4:23 PM
That's your problem. You are using a 56k modem to dial into and ISP through a cell phone. Your lucky to get 12k. What you want to do us use Verizon's 1x internet network which will give you the 60-80kbps...It means you have to pay verizon wireless as your ISP (they will have packages but i don't know what they cost). You cannot dial up into your own ISP and get the 1x speeds you have to dial up into the 1x network.
toolfreek

Dec 13, 2005, 1:58 AM
the 115.2kb/s you see is the connection between your computer and phone via the cable. signal strength is probably your problem.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.