all discussions

show all 5 replies

FINALLY....Cingular HSDPA is active!!

saxon

Dec 7, 2005, 7:27 PM
Cingular launches 3G in 16 US cities
By Paul Taylor in New York
Published: December 6 2005 19:48 | Last updated: December 6 2005 19:48

Cingular Wireless, the largest US mobile carrier, launched its 3G network in 16 cities on Tuesday, becoming the first mobile network operator in the world to deploy a 3G network based on HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) technology.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1530d904-6690-11da-884a-000 ... »

--end of article quote--

After some initial confusion over what data cards they were REALLY offering (the website showing the Novatel U730 available last week...then suddenly withdrawn this week without explanation) I called a local Chicago Cingular store, and they said that they had Ai...
(continues)
saxon

Dec 7, 2005, 7:38 PM
Correction: I meant to say my download speed was 1 Mbit per sec (1000 kbps), not 1 MByte.

🙂

saxon
halo

Dec 8, 2005, 8:38 PM
I'm confused because I got results completely off from yours, I think. I tested my Sprint 940 (EV-DO) in a mall at 8:30 pm and got a result of 1049503 bytes per second and 8396 kilobits per second using numion.com. Is that accurate? I'd post a screenshot if I could if it seems bogus.
saxon

Dec 9, 2005, 12:08 AM
I think the confusion has to do with bits and bytes.

1 BYTE = 8 bits

So your 1049503 must be bits and not bytes...or roughly 1 megaBIT per sec...which is what I am seeing with Cingular's HSDPA. If it were actually BYTES...I think that number might exceed EV-DO's current capability.

I am not an expert, but I am just guessing that 1 MegaBIT per sec is about the max you will see for a sustained thoughput with either EV-DO or HSDPA as of now...though both of those standards could eventually be upgraded to something closer to theoretical max speeds. A substantial upgrade from these levels will probably come in the form of WiMAX...a few years from now.

But hey...1 MegaBit per sec is almost HALF the speed I get with a high...
(continues)
halo

Dec 9, 2005, 8:12 PM
yes, I know 8 bits = 1 byte. That's why the data confused me. Added to that was you mentioning latency times, which I couldn't tell if it was included in the test.
saxon

Dec 8, 2005, 10:04 AM
For those who might be interested in more test results:

The average throuhput for a single file download pretty much is-what-it-is. But latency comes into play especially when browsing the web, which requires the opening and closing of a lot of small image files. So, to determine the relative web browsing performance of ADSL vs. HSDPA vs. EDGE, I used the online test which can be found at:

http://www.numion.com/ »

And here are the "scores" I got:

ADSL (wired--2.5 Mbps subscription): 580

HSDPA: 210

EDGE: 24

saxon

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.