Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 8 replies

HSDPA switch-on date for Chicago

saxon

Nov 16, 2005, 1:05 PM
This will probably turn out to be more of a tease, but...

I just called Cingular to ask when the HSDPA broadband data service would be available in Chicago. After being switched from the sales rep (who knew nothing about it) to a customer service rep (who had to spend 10 mins researching), I was told that HSDPA will be available in Chicago beginning THIS FRIDAY, Nov. 18!!

I then asked if the local stores would actually be able to sign people up for that service by then, and was told "Yes".

My guess is that, if you walked into a store this Friday, even if you were able to find a salesperson who knew how to register you for that service, you would probably not be able to buy an HSDPA enabled data card there.

If you already ...
(continues)
cingcing

Nov 16, 2005, 3:08 PM
Lets give that rep a hand for mis-informing thier 1,000,000th customer!!! 😉 We should be launching WCDMA or UMTS by the end of the year. HSDPA last I heard would be sometime in 2007! đŸ¤Ŗ
saxon

Nov 16, 2005, 3:47 PM
cingcing said:
HSDPA last I heard would be sometime in 2007!

2007?? 😲

Are you talking about Cingular, or T-Mobile?
cingcing

Nov 16, 2005, 5:57 PM
Cingular
MoPhones

Nov 16, 2005, 6:22 PM
UMTS is Nov. 18th
saxon

Nov 16, 2005, 8:22 PM
ok thanks... 🙂

I couldn't have been more clear with the rep I spoke to.

"I'm asking about HS (as in 'high school'...D...P...A...)." ☚ī¸

oh well...UMTS is pretty cool, if the price is right. Let me guess: $59.99 w/voice plan, like Verizon??
CamelTowing

Nov 16, 2005, 11:22 PM
saxon said:
ok thanks... 🙂

I couldn't have been more clear with the rep I spoke to.

"I'm asking about HS (as in 'high school'...D...P...A...)." ☚ī¸

oh well...UMTS is pretty cool, if the price is right. Let me guess: $59.99 w/voice plan, like Verizon??

Whatever these guys are telling you, Cingular will launch HSDPA at the exact same time they have UMTS. That has been a pretty consistent message across the board from Cingular Corporate.
Vox Dei

Nov 24, 2005, 8:24 PM
Ya but their HSDPA is still not much faster than regular UMTS that they run in Euroupe.
JSK

Nov 26, 2005, 12:56 AM
As far as I can tell, UMTS rolled out in 16 cities on the 18th of Nov. I just picked-up a new Sierra AirCard and tried it in Chicago. Download speed are great - upload is poor. First impressions are good. The card is HSDMP ready once the network catches up.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.