Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Do EDGE speeds vary by region?

zjc2a

Aug 20, 2005, 1:57 PM
I notice I get a slower signal at home that other places aroung. Here I get about 80-100kps with a full signal
other places about 115kps. Is this the norm?
Vox Dei

Aug 22, 2005, 4:36 PM
It may have something do with with the number of users that are using the service in your area. Technicly is isn't supposed to matter but if there are alot of people are using EDGE and the througput of the hardlines in the towers isn't large enough to handle that then it may slow down a little.
stevelvl

Aug 24, 2005, 12:05 AM
Vox Dei said:
It may have something do with with the number of users that are using the service in your area. Technicly is isn't supposed to matter but if there are alot of people are using EDGE and the througput of the hardlines in the towers isn't large enough to handle that then it may slow down a little.

what he says is 100% true edge being a gsm product is greatly affected by the amount of users. then let us not forget about the different classes of edge. each class will get a different speed. if you want good dependable data you really shoudl go for cdma. i recomend sprint becuase they will have evdo nation wide beofre verizon does.
Vox Dei

Aug 24, 2005, 2:40 PM
Really? Sprint? They started later than Verizon because they were hoping to jump into EV-DV untill it was shown that EV-DO was just as good.
zjc2a

Aug 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
stevelvl said:
Vox Dei said:

what he says is 100% true edge being a gsm product is greatly affected by the amount of users. then let us not forget about the different classes of edge. each class will get a different speed. if you want good dependable data you really shoudl go for cdma. i recomend sprint becuase they will have evdo nation wide beofre verizon does.

I doubt that. ...
(continues)
stevelvl

Aug 25, 2005, 2:56 PM
please do not make the mistake and think sprints evdo is like verizons. historically sprint has had the same cdma technology but sprint does it way better. they get more reliabillity and speed out of there data.

when sprint releases it's evdo phones there will be atleast 2 samsungs that have full bluetooth (that meand they will do headset and dun but will also do file and doc shareing) sprint also has way better data plans then verizon. they have data plans where you just pay for what you use but have a maximum charge of 70$/mo

right now sprint does have spotty evdo service but it is larger then verizons. also by the end of 2006 spints entire network will be evdo. and yes all that info is accurate for post merger time frame
Vox Dei

Aug 25, 2005, 3:04 PM
Ya but the 1x that Verizon uses is everywere and that is what competes with EDGE. EV-DO is so much faster than EDGE that it's not even in the same catigory. EV-DO is in the speeds of UMTS/WCDMA.
stevelvl

Aug 25, 2005, 3:13 PM
sprint will have evdo is every city with populations over 100,000 (excludeing alaska) by the end of 2006.
nextel18

Aug 26, 2005, 2:08 PM
yes, it is normally. it depends on how many people are using that cell tower and what is the bandwidth like. it also depends on how far you are from the tower as well as what your signal strength is.
zjc2a

Aug 26, 2005, 8:48 PM
Thats an answer. Opposed to Sprint is better than Verizon! See the Difference.

BTW, does anyone know how bandwidth is boken down on a tower. Is it like 80-20 voice-data or is it separate like you have 100% of voice and 100% data to be broken down between the respective uses?

Thanks

-Z
nextel18

Aug 28, 2005, 4:55 AM
I am not sure of how the data and voice gets broken down on a tower with bandwidth, however, I could ask.
simplymarcus

Aug 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
Edge speeds do not vary by region. They vary by equipment and network traffic.There are different classes of edge class 10 being the fastest at about 236kbs.
nextel18

Aug 30, 2005, 4:53 AM
they dont? so they dont get affected by usage on the cell phone site?
stevelvl

Aug 30, 2005, 9:22 AM
nextel18 said:
they dont? so they dont get affected by usage on the cell phone site?

now you are just argueing for argument sake.

what he said sounds true to me. do the actual edge speeds vary? no however the more people on the tower the slower the speed. in other words location does not affect your speed just avalible tower bandwidth.
nextel18

Sep 1, 2005, 9:21 AM
actually my friend. i said that it does vary how many users are on that tower and how close you are from the tower becuase that all matters.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.