Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Best phone for tethering

SeanJ

Jul 26, 2008, 2:39 PM
I had the BB Pearl and thought it was kind of slow. Anyone know the best/fastest phone for tethering?
cellfiend

Jul 26, 2008, 8:09 PM
Tethering without the tethering option on a plan, if you can get away with it, is incredibly slow. If you have it on your plan then the problem will be based upon a)type of phone b) network c) coverage for high speed
rmtp22

Aug 18, 2008, 5:55 PM
Disagree, the lack of tethering option on the account does not matter. To the network it is just like using the mini shops built into the phone for ringtones, ect..... The network does not know the difference. In fact they both acquire the same IP address. One is just assigned to an external MAC address and the other one an Internal. That is the only way the carrier can tell that you are even tethering, well that and bandwidth usage.

Don't know if you put the A) B) C) in a specific order. But if you did, I would reverse it going 1)Broadband Coverage 2)Network 3)Type of phone.

The other thing to consider would be the USB ports them self (assuming it's a USB connection) are they 1.1 USB ports or 2.0 ports. 1.1's cut your speed just about...
(continues)
Fandim

Aug 19, 2008, 9:20 PM
I dont even think the pearl is 3G, is it?
rmtp22

Aug 19, 2008, 9:26 PM
It is. I am not sure if it is rev. A though.
hamcan

Aug 29, 2008, 9:55 AM
are you asking about using your phone as a modem for your laptop, and you only use your carriers minutes - avoiding a data plan?

if so, i have a LG vx8300 (yeah it's old) that connects to my laptop via bluetooth. it's slow but i can get to a website or check my email if needed. it's a great life saver in a pinch.

but a data plan would be better if you're using it alot.

good luck.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.