Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

blackberrys and pdf

smiliey

Apr 26, 2008, 7:38 PM
i have a pearl through sprint 8130 and i have viewed pdf files before, small ones like 40kb.

i just got a book and its like 7mb (on memory card) and it wont open, any one know if there is a limit to how much the phone can handle opening?

your help would be awesome thanks
tkboxer

Apr 27, 2008, 11:46 PM
smiliey said:
i have a pearl through sprint 8130 and i have viewed pdf files before, small ones like 40kb.

i just got a book and its like 7mb (on memory card) and it wont open, any one know if there is a limit to how much the phone can handle opening?

your help would be awesome thanks

If my thinking is right (and I believe it is) the phones processor has to see the entire document before it can open it, thats asking a lot of a phone processor which typically run between 300 and 500 megahertz. They just don't have the horsepower or pipeline to open a file that large.
smiliey

Apr 28, 2008, 4:26 PM
yea man thats what i was thinking too.. do you know if it is possible to shrink down a pdf?
tkboxer

Apr 28, 2008, 9:14 PM
smiliey said:
yea man thats what i was thinking too.. do you know if it is possible to shrink down a pdf?

I don't think so, but it is possible to split a pdf file into a smaller group of files, say breaking it up by page number groups and saving each group with new file names.
That would have to be done on a pc then it could be sent to or loaded on the phone.
You would new a program like this or one similar.
http://www.verypdf.com/pdfpg/pdf-splitter.html »
smiliey

Apr 28, 2008, 9:33 PM
sick. thats exactly what i was looking into. thanks boxer
ihateeverything

Apr 29, 2008, 11:36 AM
tkboxer said:
If my thinking is right (and I believe it is) the phones processor has to see the entire document before it can open it

I believe that is correct.

thats asking a lot of a phone processor which typically run between 300 and 500 megahertz. They just don't have the horsepower or pipeline to open a file that large.

This is where you lost me. What are the respective file sizes for 300 and 500 megahertz? Perhaps you even have a source for this information?
tkboxer

Apr 29, 2008, 11:53 PM

thats asking a lot of a phone processor which typically run between 300 and 500 megahertz. They just don't have the horsepower or pipeline to open a file that large.

This is where you lost me. What are the respective file sizes for 300 and 500 megahertz? Perhaps you even have a source for this information?

Smiley has a Blackberry with a 7mb pdf file on memory card that will not open. We were discussing that perhaps its because the typical smartphone has only a 300 to 500 MgZ processor and with narrow bandwidth for that data to flow through it could make opening a 7mb pdf file very slow or impossible. I don't know how else to explain it so hopefully it makes better sense now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.