Home  ›  Carriers  ›

AT&T

Info & Phones News Forum  

all discussions

show all 26 replies

iPhone 3G

schlittertex

Jul 25, 2008, 4:39 PM
Walked into an ATT store today and picked up and played with the iphone.

For those that said that ATT 3G network isn't fast, well no not on the iphone I agree. On my RAZR it is, when I had an 8525 it was great.

but yes the iphone, after playing with just 3 minutes could see the flaws, is sub par phone at best.

all the money that went into marketing the thing, wasted.

Its money that could have been spent somewhere else.

SE and Nokia 3G phones need to be sought after.
...
tkboxer

Jul 26, 2008, 11:35 AM
Careful there.... you're squashing AT&T's right to sell overrated overpriced phones to the masses!
And you have the gall to suggest AT&T offer quality phones from Nokia and SE, surely you must have known the AT&T doesn't like Nokia and SE because they refuse to let AT&T cripple the high-end quality devices they worked so hard to design and build. You could be held accountable for your statements from AT&T. You could be made to face the AT&T firing squad where you will be placed against a wall and 5 bars will be impaled upon you, wait...make that 4 bars.....nope,sorry, make that 3 bars....move a little to the left...aah hell, just don't say anything like that again and they'll let it go this time. 🤣
...
dromant

Jul 26, 2008, 12:51 PM
Not sure where you were "testing" that iPhone - My iPhone consistently runs 2-3 times faster on the internet that my Tilt (and I was running the Opera browswer on my Tilt, which is much faster than IE). I've speed tested my iPhone on several sites and every time it has tested from 800 - 1100 kb/s - my Tilts best was 876 kb/s. I have used the BB Curve, the Tilt, the Blackjack II, and the Treo 750 - out of all of ATT's PDA devices the iPhone clearly runs faster than the others on the internet.

Now the iPhone is definitely not the do all device like the Tilt, it is definitely not a "subpar" device either. What it is, is a sleek, easy to use, and beatifully functioning phone. Is it the phone to end all phones, of course not. But compare the...
(continues)
...
evilhomer

Jul 26, 2008, 9:34 PM
dromant said:
Not sure where you were "testing" that iPhone - My iPhone consistently runs 2-3 times faster on the internet that my Tilt (and I was running the Opera browswer on my Tilt, which is much faster than IE). I've speed tested my iPhone on several sites and every time it has tested from 800 - 1100 kb/s - my Tilts best was 876 kb/s. I have used the BB Curve, the Tilt, the Blackjack II, and the Treo 750 - out of all of ATT's PDA devices the iPhone clearly runs faster than the others on the internet.

Now the iPhone is definitely not the do all device like the Tilt, it is definitely not a "subpar" device either. What it is, is a sleek, easy to use, and beatifully functioning phone. Is it the phone to end all phon
...
(continues)
...
schlittertex

Aug 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
First of all what could I be jealous of?

and I am with AT&T, and have been for a year and a half, I even had cingular once before until I switched to Verizon and eventually came back.

Its not the top dog though, don't get me wrong its a cool phone but, I am not the only one saying this stuff, I was in a 3G area that I live in and teh speeds were slow, the touch response was really slow.

I just think AT&T wasted too much time and money backing this phone, when they could have released other phones. Others, besides me, feel the same way.
...
taoareyou

Aug 5, 2008, 11:57 AM
evilhomer said:
They are just "haters" who are probably jealous because they are likely stuck with Sprint and the Instink. iPhone bashers are so lame. Everyone always picks on the top dog.


For the record, anyone who does not hold a favorable personal opinion of any product does not make that person a "hater" or "lame".

Of course, the irony of you "bashing" on a person for "bashing" on a phone is not lost to the observant.
...
evilhomer

Aug 6, 2008, 2:40 PM
taoareyou said:
evilhomer said:
They are just "haters" who are probably jealous because they are likely stuck with Sprint and the Instink. iPhone bashers are so lame. Everyone always picks on the top dog.


For the record, anyone who does not hold a favorable personal opinion of any product does not make that person a "hater" or "lame".

Of course, the irony of you "bashing" on a person for "bashing" on a phone is not lost to the observant.


Sorry but when you call the iPhone a useless piece of junk you are just hating. That's not just an unfavorable opinion, it's just bashing. If I say Nokia is a useless piece of garbage, I get jumped on for bashing so don't preach to me...
(continues)
...
taoareyou

Aug 6, 2008, 7:05 PM
I went back to the original post to see where the iPhone was called a "useless piece of junk".

I saw someone stating they do not get expected 3G speeds and then saying they felt the phone was subpar after noticing flaws after briefly using the equipment.

This is a valid opinion. Your zeal for the iPhone caused you to read the negative opinion and immediately translate that into a hostile and unfair attack...in your mind.

I understand you disagree, but making personal attacks on anyone who does not share you opinion does not do your credibility a service was the point you failed to understand.
...
pepsijunky

Jul 27, 2008, 2:40 PM
schlittertex said:

all the money that went into marketing the thing, wasted.



That line right there proves that you are out of touch. Obviously the marketing has worked better than any phone, EVER. Plus marketing and a products performance don't go hand in hand. If you've sold the phone then you've done your job as a marketer, it's up to at&t and Apple's production team to improve data speeds. It doesn't matter anyway because you're wrong, my phone has been killing on 3G, you're either in a bad area or just a hater. I feel sorry for you.
...
schlittertex

Aug 4, 2008, 10:11 AM
I live in a 3G area, first of all.

and out of touch?

I work in an Industry that does laps around the cell phone industry in terms of retained earnings.

and yes they have madea lot of money selling this phone, but here is a term that you may or may not have heard called Opportunity Costs.

ATT's goals aren't the same as Apples, apple wants to sell iphones, ATT wants to sell the iphone but also keep people paying for phone service each month. It has been less than a month since this phone was released and we will see how much of a good investment this actually is.

but a question could be asked how many of what other types of phones could have been marketed and released with the money spent on the iphone
...
pepsijunky

Aug 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
schlittertex said:
I live in a 3G area, first of all.

and out of touch?

I work in an Industry that does laps around the cell phone industry in terms of retained earnings.

and yes they have madea lot of money selling this phone, but here is a term that you may or may not have heard called Opportunity Costs.

ATT's goals aren't the same as Apples, apple wants to sell iphones, ATT wants to sell the iphone but also keep people paying for phone service each month. It has been less than a month since this phone was released and we will see how much of a good investment this actually is.

but a question could be asked how many of what other types of phones could have been marketed and released with the money s
...
(continues)
...
schlittertex

Aug 4, 2008, 11:33 AM
who cares about apple, what about ATT?
...
pepsijunky

Aug 4, 2008, 11:41 AM
You're the one who said it.
...
schlittertex

Aug 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
and working with an industry that makes more money is relevant when talking about Marketing.

...and opportunity costs can be seen prior to hindsight just as well as in hindsight so that doesn't apply either.

I don't care about apple's marketing capability, I only care about how it alters ATT and what phones they are going to get and what phones they could have gotten if they didn't release the iphone.
...
pepsijunky

Aug 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
Opportunity costs are intangible, you can't see something that isn't there. Your vague statements are just worthless, I'm over you.
...
schlittertex

Aug 4, 2008, 12:19 PM
I never knew you were under me
...
dromant

Aug 5, 2008, 3:31 AM
Question.... Which one of these would you as an educated business man such as yourself want to put your marketing money behind:

A: A device that has already caused more hype than any other device ever brought to market. This device also guarantees a revenue stream of an additional $30 data package on EVERY model sold.

or

B: A device that has more features, but will probably, even with the smartest marketing, only sell 10-15% of what device A will sell. There is also no guarantee on additional feature revenue as the customer is not required to purchase additional features with this device.

Makes pretty good (and logical) business since to go with phone A in my mind.... but then again, who am I... You're the one in the more lucrat...
(continues)
...
schlittertex

Aug 6, 2008, 10:36 AM
Okay that is fine and all but people are missing the point...

how many lines of phones does Apple have, now compare that to Nokia or SE or LG or Motorola.

We are talking about just two phones from one company when we are talking about Apple. Great, what about the long run?

what happens when people realize that this phone isn't everything it could be or not much compared to other phones, yes its going to make money, and yes APPLE did a great job for marketing.

but what about those customers, who have been ATT customers for a few years, who don't want the phone, that notice the sub par phones that ATT has besides the iphone. That is where the mistake is being made. I have not heard one really good review about a phone on this ...
(continues)
...
pepsijunky

Aug 6, 2008, 11:28 PM
you are dilusional.
...
schlittertex

Aug 7, 2008, 8:54 AM
Because of my views on cell phones???

you need to get out more. not everyone is a kool aid drinking iphone lover.
...
pepsijunky

Aug 7, 2008, 10:02 AM
hahahahahah, good one dude! kool aid drinking iphone lover! You got me so good this time. It's like when my little brother used to call me a flat-faced buttsniffer because he learned from talking animals in a movie. Schlitter, you're so smart.
...
dromant

Aug 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
Actually, I think you are missing the point. You asked how many lines does Apple have compared to LG, Nokia, etc. Well, how long does it take Nokia or LG with their 10+ lines of different models to sell as many phones as Apple has with 2 lines?

If you don't like the iPhone - there are plenty of other options out there. You talk about the subpar phones that ATT has, yet offer no hard facts to back it up. The fact is ATT has several quality devices besides the iPhone - The ATT Tilt, the Moto Z9, and the LG VU have all been highly reviewed.

Your last statement sums up exactly what the point of your argument is:


"everyone is talking about how the marketing has been great for APPLE, but i don't buy phones from apple nor do i get my ph...
(continues)
...
schlittertex

Aug 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
No but its my God Given Right to express my OPINION!!!

And my points ARE OPINIONS, why can't you guys get that through your heads, my OPINION.
...
pepsijunky

Aug 7, 2008, 12:50 PM
Some of your statements are opinions but some of your statements are so wrong that it's just idiotic. No one, and I mean no one, can say that Apple's marketing isn't good. It is the most impressive thing in Marketing since I don't even know when.

To cause this sort of uproar and frenzy over a wireless device is just plain genius. I'm pretty sure you don't even know what marketing means so I'll let you slide.
...
pepsijunky

Aug 7, 2008, 12:45 PM
Seriously, well said.
...
AvgJoe

Aug 8, 2008, 2:35 PM
schlittertex said:
Okay that is fine and all but people are missing the point...

how many lines of phones does Apple have, now compare that to Nokia or SE or LG or Motorola.

We are talking about just two phones from one company when we are talking about Apple. Great, what about the long run?

what happens when people realize that this phone isn't everything it could be or not much compared to other phones, yes its going to make money, and yes APPLE did a great job for marketing.

but what about those customers, who have been ATT customers for a few years, who don't want the phone, that notice the sub par phones that ATT has besides the iphone. That is where the mistake is being made. I have not heard one re
...
(continues)
...
AvgJoe

Aug 8, 2008, 2:27 PM
schlittertex said:
Walked into an ATT store today and picked up and played with the iphone.

For those that said that ATT 3G network isn't fast, well no not on the iphone I agree. On my RAZR it is, when I had an 8525 it was great.

but yes the iphone, after playing with just 3 minutes could see the flaws, is sub par phone at best.

all the money that went into marketing the thing, wasted.

Its money that could have been spent somewhere else.

SE and Nokia 3G phones need to be sought after.


You are JUST realizing this?
...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2019 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.