Home  ›  Carriers  ›

AT&T

Info & Phones News Forum  

all discussions

show all 28 replies

Gotta love the chargebacks!

bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
Folks, I've been ticked before but not like this. This is to all the customers and all the reps to show you how much love we get from ATT and our dealer.

Since I started here in Aug of '06, I have averaged $1000-$1500 per bonus check. All of the reps in our stores were making about the same. It was a good situation and life was grand. When I got my bonus for Oct. '07 things went bad. I went from making $1000-$1500 to a sub $300 bonus. The reason-Chargebacks. With all the new feature codes and plan changes plus we were stunned to find out that if a customer doesn't pay their bill we get chargebacks! I thought that the Oct. bonus was a one off until Nov., Dec., Jan., and now the worst of the lot our Feb. bonus(Decembers sales. I ...
(continues)
...
Sigma1570

Feb 29, 2008, 12:45 PM
I feel your pain. In december I sold around 67 feat units. In the same month 50 feat units charged back. It is all BS and we can't even ring out the new features for the new soc codes.
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
I just can't justify sitting in here for 10 hours a day and getting nothing but hourly and a small pittance. I really don't understand how I get dinged if a customer can't pay their bill.
...
Shoota

Feb 29, 2008, 2:14 PM
bwag717 said:
I just can't justify sitting in here for 10 hours a day and getting nothing but hourly and a small pittance. I really don't understand how I get dinged if a customer can't pay their bill.



sell what the customer needs, not what your pocket book need. 50 charge backs is a little redonkalous... your like my favorite basketball play "Shadey MaGradey" ๐Ÿคจ
...
Sigma1570

Feb 29, 2008, 2:30 PM
You need to shut up you have no scope of how bad feature chargebacks are right now and its out of our hands it has nothing to do with selling the right feature.
...
justinwilliams

Feb 29, 2008, 5:56 PM
I set up a 58 line business account once. Everytime one of the 58 people went to change a feature, a rep would go into every line and put their code in....LOL... I always checked it every few days... It's a shame how many shady people their are out there who try and steal stuff....
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 2:56 PM
I've been doing the same thing for a year. I pride myself on not being shady. I don't flip features and I don't put them on accounts without permission. I like to think that I am a good rep that doesn't take advantage of the customer. I've heard the story of a rep in my town selling an old lady a phone for her dog, "just in case your dog needs it." That is not me. I just don't know how it goes from no chargebacks to a whole lot in a short amount of time.
...
AvgJoe

Feb 29, 2008, 3:37 PM
bwag717 said:
I've been doing the same thing for a year. I pride myself on not being shady. I don't flip features and I don't put them on accounts without permission. I like to think that I am a good rep that doesn't take advantage of the customer. I've heard the story of a rep in my town selling an old lady a phone for her dog, "just in case your dog needs it." That is not me. I just don't know how it goes from no chargebacks to a whole lot in a short amount of time.


People are realizing what sounded like a good idea is not so much.

Browsing the internet on a 3" screen is not all that really unless they live in their cars. Most people have access to all kinds of internet attached computers.

Te...
(continues)
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 3:40 PM
Most of them are other reps "flipping them". I checked. I only sell what they want. Trust me Joe, I could get anything I want from a customer everytime they come in but I want future and referral business not a one time fix. Taking care of the customer is the best way to make it happen.
...
AvgJoe

Feb 29, 2008, 4:05 PM
I am sure you know to sell what they want, not what you think they should have. I am in sales as well . Music. I NEVER try to up sell. I sell what they want and am more inclined to show them something for less if I feel it would serve them better. For example I will point out a Mexican Strat to a customer looking at the American because its a better value. Many still buy the American. Some buy the Mexican and are grateful for the $600 savings.

I am 1st or second in sales working PART TIME. Then again I love what I do. I choose what I do. I do not care about commission as I can live on the salary. The commission is gravy. The owner knows how to run a business. No quotas, no pressure, decent salaries and commissions. Nothing like working ...
(continues)
...
tsherry

Feb 29, 2008, 5:06 PM
It's not about "up-selling". It's about "same-selling". Ex: I spend 30 mins crunching numbers for a customer to show that the money they are spending on overage would be made up for in a package (Example feature code: T030). They call into customer service two weeks later to get their bill balance, and the customer service rep changes the feature to another code (Example feature code: T003). Although these features include the exact same things (Telenav unlimited routes, for example), the customer service rep gets paid, and I get charged back next month.

Not American vs Mexican-made, not one feature that includes more than (as-in is made better than) the other. The EXACT SAME feature, just a different code...

A better analogy for a sit...
(continues)
...
texaswireless

Feb 29, 2008, 5:10 PM
And your agent principal has every right to dispute that and get repaid.
...
tsherry

Feb 29, 2008, 5:13 PM
I know. And we do. We, as in the majority of the ppl at my location, requested a spreadsheet of each chargeback, and just received it today. That's how I know that this has been going on...
...
Shoota

Feb 29, 2008, 7:33 PM
dude seriously guys... you shouldn't even get paid for clicking a button that says $5.00 300 text. go out and work.. you all get over paid and i can not wait until the wireless industry turns into what the home phone did.

we all know its going to get cheaper and cheaper and soon they will not need you.. so quit crying QQ
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 7:53 PM
Hey man, this is my job like it or leave it. We also troubleshoot all the phone problems and problably save ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Tee Mow Bile, millions in CSR calls. You get people like yourself who think every company will replace us. I don't know one fortune 500 company that doesn't utilize a good sales force. A good sales force will bring in twice as much true revenue then a computer ordering system. this is my job and I like it so I can cry all I want when I feel that I'm not getting paid properly. I don't know what you do for a living but I don't mock your job don't mock mine. Who knows, it might be your job someday if your luck changes.
...
Shoota

Feb 29, 2008, 8:51 PM
bwag717 said:
Hey man, this is my job like it or leave it. We also troubleshoot all the phone problems and problably save ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Tee Mow Bile, millions in CSR calls. You get people like yourself who think every company will replace us. I don't know one fortune 500 company that doesn't utilize a good sales force. A good sales force will bring in twice as much true revenue then a computer ordering system. this is my job and I like it so I can cry all I want when I feel that I'm not getting paid properly. I don't know what you do for a living but I don't mock your job don't mock mine. Who knows, it might be your job someday if your luck changes.




lmao.. dude every screen has a scrip...
(continues)
...
bwag717

Mar 2, 2008, 3:46 PM
Wow! sounds like you know what to do then!

1. You don't just add whatever plan they want or the phone they want. You work with them to find the right on for them.

2. You sell them the right features not just add the ones you want.

3.We always go over everything they have deceided to do then try to sell more features or accessories.

4. There is no "finish" button in POS I or POS II

we don't have color printers and go out of our way to help them make an informed choice of what phone and features they want. I'd call that "selling". I'd like to know what you do so I can break it down to a Walmart cashier or whatever. You really have no respect for people that have to work for a living. If my job is so easy I invite you to c...
(continues)
...
Pierce84

Mar 2, 2008, 4:54 PM
Wow, are you a WaWa manager?
...
AvgJoe

Feb 29, 2008, 9:00 PM
OK I get it. Yep that would suck. It always sucks when Corporations don't "protect their own" because all the money flows to the same place.
...
ralph_on_me

Feb 29, 2008, 2:23 PM
My company just switched to not paying the employee for features until the company gets paid. So I won't get paid for any features I sell this month (February) until May at the earliest.

I know most of those chargebacks were due to the different soc codes and bundle packs. Even reps who don't slam and aren't pushy are getting some BS chargebacks, however my last chargeback amount was $4.
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 2:59 PM
That must be me and the reps I work with. I'm noticing chargebacks that are the code changes of the unlimited text plans. WTF! Same product just different code. Why did I get charged back. Also Flipping features should be outlawed. There is no reason that I should eat commission because someone removed and added the feature to help them out. ATT is lucky someone hasn't(yet)sued them for lost wages on a really crappy system.
...
ralph_on_me

Feb 29, 2008, 3:20 PM
Flipping features isn't allowed. You should be able to get those commissions back if it was a like for like change
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 3:33 PM
Really. Our dealer says there is nothing they can do to get them back even though its not allowed. Who should I go to?
...
texaswireless

Feb 29, 2008, 3:43 PM
Only your dealer can fix it, and they have the right to challenge those changes. It is a matter of whether or not they put in the effort.

As far as you wanting to switch, pretty much any place that pays well will have protections against chargebacks in your commission structure.
...
Oylpann

Mar 2, 2008, 1:43 PM
I dont know if this is a similar issue to the ones your talking about but it pissed me off just the same.

I work in customer care, and the other day I get an email from a store rep with a bunch of other care reps names cc'd in the email as well. The email stated that the feature changes made by myself and all the other cc'd reps names were changes out of the retail reps name in error. I pulled up the account in question with my name next to it, and it was a feature change (from 1500 text to 200 text) which was done approx 3 months after the retail agent had made any changes on the account.

I emailed the retail rep back asking how it was an error since I was not speaking to her (she didnt call in and request the change herself), it wa...
(continues)
...
bwag717

Mar 2, 2008, 3:51 PM
So do I and that's why I'm ticked. ATT makes the money and the commission just floats around in their coffers till you quit(they get it then), the six months expire(you get it) or someone flips/changes it(they get it). If a customer pays their bill for the feature in question their should be no reason for it to be charged back. The company made their money so do we. I don't understand why I own ATT because a customer I don't have anymore influence over changes their mind. That's what has me so ticked over this.
...
AvgJoe

Feb 29, 2008, 3:25 PM
bwag717 said:
Folks, I've been ticked before but not like this. This is to all the customers and all the reps to show you how much love we get from ATT and our dealer.

Since I started here in Aug of '06, I have averaged $1000-$1500 per bonus check. All of the reps in our stores were making about the same. It was a good situation and life was grand. When I got my bonus for Oct. '07 things went bad. I went from making $1000-$1500 to a sub $300 bonus. The reason-Chargebacks. With all the new feature codes and plan changes plus we were stunned to find out that if a customer doesn't pay their bill we get chargebacks! I thought that the Oct. bonus was a one off until Nov., Dec., Jan., and now the worst of the lot o
...
(continues)
...
bwag717

Feb 29, 2008, 3:32 PM
Thanks Joe but I don't have that much of a soul left to sell. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
...
Crapbag

Feb 29, 2008, 9:16 PM
bwag717 said:
I just don't know how it goes from no chargebacks to a whole lot in a short amount of time.

Charge backs have a six month period in which they kick in. You usually don't feel the charge back till two months after it was canceled. That means, you wouldn't have gotten full charge backs till about eight to nine months in. Which it sounds like is the time you noticed the drop in commission.

Basically, for the first nine months you were existing on a falsely inflated commission do to a lack of sales history to charge back from. Now that you have that history it's hitting you. That means you need to sell twice as much to keep ahead. It sucks, but that is also why they hold your last commissi...
(continues)
...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2019 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.