Google Messages Gains 2-Way Reactions with iPhones
Article Comments 1
Oct 21, 2022, 10:39 AM by Rich Brome @rbrome
Google has announced a variety of new features for Messages, its messaging app for Android based on the RCS industry standard.
- In addition to correctly displaying certain emoji reactions from iPhone users over SMS, Messages will now let you send reactions to SMS messages sent by iPhone users, and display them correctly on the Android side.
- Another new feature will you reply to a specific message in an RCS thread, so it's clear what you're replying to in a busy conversation.
- Google will also bring Voice Message Transcription to more phones. Originally announced for the new Pixel 7 series, the feature can present an audio message as text, for situations where it might be difficult or inappropriate to listen to the audio. The feature is coming to the Pixel 6 series as well as the Samsung Galaxy S22 and Galaxy Fold 4.
- The app will now make even more pro-active intelligent suggestions based on your activity. These include birthday and anniversary reminders; prompts to "star" messages that appear to contain important info like addresses, door codes, and phone numbers; and shortcuts to make calls or add things to your calendar when receiving relevant messages.
- You will now be able create your own reminders without leaving the app. "Remind yourself to call Mom on her birthday, or [to] schedule that appointment during regular business hours."
- The app can now play YouTube videos without leaving Messages.
Sep 7, 2022
Apple has revealed the iPhone 14 series, with new features, improved specs, and new size options. In place of a Mini option, the iPhone 14 will come in the same 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screen size options as the Pro models.
Mar 10, 2022
Google today started rolling out a major update to its Messages app, the default SMS and RCS messaging app on most new Android phones. It includes several major new features, but the biggest for most people may be automatic conversion and tidier display of emoji reactions from iPhone users .
Oct 6, 2022
Google has revealed the full details of its new Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro flagship phones. The new Pixel 7 is smaller, while the larger Pixel 7 Pro has a much more advanced camera system than any previous Pixel phone.
Dec 15, 2022
Google has updated its Google Home app and Google Home / Nest devices to fully support Matter, the new industry standard for smart home control. Existing Google home hardware can serve as a Matter hub, including the original Google Home speaker, Google Home Mini, Nest Mini, Nest Audio, Nest Hub (1st and 2nd gen), Nest Hub Max, and Nest Wifi Pro.
Jul 22, 2020
Google has updated Messages — its own standards-based rich messaging app for Android — to support emoji-like message reactions, similar to the reactions features in iMessage and Facebook. Available reactions are: like, love, laughter, surprise, sadness, anger, and dislike.
To ALL Android & iPhone users
Apple supporting RCS will create a better text experience for EVERYONE, not just Android users. It’s up to each of us to do our part to expose iPhone us...