New Senate Bill Would Reshape App Stores
A bipartisan group of three US Senators has introduced new legislation that would place major new rules on the app stores run by Apple and Google. The Open App Markets Act would:
- Ensure users could access third-party app stores and make them the default.
- Ensure users could access third-party apps and make them the default.
- Ensure users could install third-party apps and app stores through a method other than the main app store (side-loading).
- Ensure users could hide or delete default apps, the default app store, and pre-installed apps from business partners.
- Ensure developers could use third-party systems for in-app payments.
- Ensure developers could offer more favorable pricing outside of a given app store.
- Prevent Apple and Google from giving preference to their own apps (or those of business partners) in search results and rankings.
- Prevent Apple and Google from giving their own apps special API access not available to third-party apps. This clause has special exceptions for user privacy, security, and digital safety; spam or fraud prevention; and complying with Federal or State law.
Feb 9, 2022
Samsung today announced its lineup of flagship phones for 2022: the Galaxy S22 series. The top-end S22 Ultra sees the biggest changes as it essentially absorbs Samsung's Note series with an integrated S Pen stylus and a more Note-like shape and design, instead of the Contour Cut design of the other models.
Jan 14, 2021
Samsung today officially unveiled its Galaxy S21 series of flagship phones for 2021. All three models sport a distinctive new "Contour Cut Camera" design where the metal frame extends around one corner to surround the rear cameras.
Mar 23, 2021
OnePlus today announced the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro, its newest flagship phones. The 9 Pro is a true flagship-class phone with a QHD AMOLED display with variable refresh from 1 to 120 Hz, and IP68 water rating, starting at $969.
Apr 14, 2020
OnePlus has revealed its new lineup for 2020 — the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro — both of which have 5G. They also manage to pack larger batteries into slightly thinner bodies compared to their predecessors.
Mar 10, 2022
Google today started rolling out a major update to its Messages app, the default SMS and RCS messaging app on most new Android phones. It includes several major new features, but the biggest for most people may be automatic conversion and tidier display of emoji reactions from iPhone users .
Is this for real?
Is this some kinda .... what.... WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS?
Politics as usual
Hopefully this gets negotiated down to a few concessions from Apple & Google that won't wreck what is in place. That may be the strategy anyways.