AT&T to Launch C-Band 5G by End of Year
AT&T today announced its plans for the C-band radio spectrum it recently acquired in FCC Auction 107. The company will "begin deploying the first 40 MHz of this spectrum by the end of 2021". The company purchased 80 MHz total. AT&T will spend $6–8 billion on building out this enhanced 5G network through 2024. The company plans deploy C-band in areas covering 70–75 million people by the end of 2022, reaching 100 million in 2023. The company will also continue deploying mmWave 5G, including 17 new sports venues (stadiums, arenas, and practice facilities) as well as seven new airports. AT&T is currently only using 70% of its existing low- and mid-band spectrum, but plans to deploy the remaining 30% in the coming years, delivering "enhanced performance in the top 50 urban markets".
Feb 24, 2021
The FCC today announced the winners of Auction 107 for radio frequency licenses in the coveted "C-Band". Verizon spent $45.5 billion, well over half the $81.1 billion total spent in the whole auction.
Aug 25, 2020
The FCC today announced the conclusion of auction 105, which sold the rights to 70 MHz of new licensed spectrum near 3.5 GHz for 5G service. 20,625 licenses for specific frequencies and geographic areas were sold for over $4.6 billion in total.
Dec 12, 2018
The FCC today took measures that will lead to an auction for 5G spectrum in 2019. The agency adopted new rules to make a total of 3,400 MHz of mmWave spectrum available in the 37 GHz, 39 GHz, and 47 GHz bands.
Sep 2, 2020
The FCC today published the winners of the recent Auction 105 for part of the 3.5 GHz band. Verizon shelled out $1.9 billion for 557 licenses covering 157 counties, likely covering major cities.