Android 12 Released to Developers
Google has released the first preview version of Android 12 to developers. As a developer release, it focuses on APIs and other developer-focused aspects, rather than necessarily representing the final look and feature set for consumers. Several new features are notable, though:
- Project Mainline continues to expand, with Google adding the Android Runtime (ART) module to the list of software that Google can update directly through the Play Store, instead of requiring a full OS update approved by manufacturers and carriers. ART handles compiling app code into processor instructions.
- Better support for newer image and video formats. Specifically, support for the AV1 image file format (AVIF), and better support for the HEVC video format.
- Rich content insertion, which makes it easier for apps to support copy-and-paste of styled text and multimedia. The new API for rich content also supports drag-and-drop.
- Haptic-coupled audio effect, which lets apps more easily add haptic effects by linking them to an audio channel.
- Multi-channel audio, including support for spatial information encoded with MPEG-H, and enabling apps to mix and process up to 24 audio channels.
- Finally, the Notification UI has been updated to make "custom" notifications look and work more like other notification types.
Jan 14, 2021
Samsung today officially unveiled its Galaxy S21 series of flagship phones for 2021. All three models sport a distinctive new "Contour Cut Camera" design where the metal frame extends around one corner to surround the rear cameras.
Oct 26, 2018
Art enthusiasts have 200,000 new reasons to be excited about the Google Arts & Culture app, which recently expanded its partnership with New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Met has been methodically digitizing its collection of more than 1.5 million artifacts that span some 5,000 years of history.
Jul 23, 2018
Qualcomm today announced new antennas that will bring mmWave and sub-6 GHz 5G to mobile devices such as smartphones. The QTM052 mmWave module and QPM5xx sub-6 GHz RF module are compact enough that they are suitable for phones.
Oct 16, 2018
Huawei today announced it flagship series for the year, the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro. The phones share a number of features, but have their own identity thanks to differences in the screen and chassis.