Nevada Pulls Out of T-Mobile / Sprint Merger Suit
Nevada has reached a settlement with T-Mobile on the terms of its proposed merger with Sprint. This comes after Texas announced a similar settlement this morning. Colorado and Mississippi previously reached their own settlements. That leaves 14 attorneys general still suing to stop the merger on antitrust grounds. As part of its deal with Nevada, T-Mobile is bound to:
- Keep certain promises it made at the start of the month, such as a $15/month data plan with 2 GB of data, and a $25/month plan with 5 GB of data, with additional data added each year. New in the Nevada settlement is a commitment to keep these low-price plans for at least six years.
- Provide internet access for low-income families with small children. (Another promise made earlier this month, now made legally binding.)
- Donate $30 million to charities in Nevada chosen by the Attorney General.
- Keep an existing call center in the state with 450 employees for at least six years.
- Offer all current employees of both companies comparable jobs when the merger closes.
- Meet certain 5G coverage requirements.
Apr 8, 2020
Samsung has a slew of new phones coming to the US in its more-affordable A-series, including one launching tomorrow for $110, and a 5G model launching this summer for $500. Galaxy A01 : One of Samsung's most affordable phones at $110.
Apr 1, 2020
T-Mobile has officially completed its merger with Sprint. For the moment, the merger has little effect on customers, but "Sprint" lives only as a brand of T-Mobile, not a separate company.
Feb 11, 2020
A multi-state anti-trust lawsuit to stop the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile has failed. New York Attorney General Letitia James issued a statement saying "There is no doubt that reducing the mobile market from four to three will be bad for consumers, bad for workers, and bad for innovation, which is why the states stepped up and led this lawsuit.
Nov 26, 2019
MediaTek has revealed that its first SoC with integrated 5G modem and high-end processor will be called the Dimensity 1000. The company revealed the first set of details on the chip in May.