ZTE Files Paperwork to Have Commerce Dept. Ban Suspended
ZTE has filed an application with the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security in hopes that the government will suspend its ban against the company. Last month, the Commerce Department banned U.S. companies from selling parts or software to ZTE for a period of seven years. The government put the ban place because ZTE was caught misrepresenting the actions it took after settling with the government for an earlier infraction (exporting technology to Iran). ZTE has called the ban unfair and unreasonable, suggesting it could put the company out of business. The ban prevents companies such as Qualcomm from supplying ZTE with processors and also prevents companies such as Google from licensing the Android operating system to ZTE. Last week, a U.S. trade delegation met with Chinese trade officials who asked the U.S. to reassess its actions against ZTE. The U.S. delegates said they would speak with President Donald Trump about the matter.
Jul 6, 2018
ZTE has now replaced four of its top leaders (CEO, CFO, CTO, and head of HR) and its entire board of directors, as required by a tentative deal with the U.S. government.
Apr 16, 2018
ZTE is not allowed to export sensitive technology from the U.S. due to new action from the U.S.
Apr 20, 2018
ZTE today said the ban issued by the Commerce Department is unfair and overly severe in what mark its first public comments since the ban was announced. "The Denial Order will not only severely impact the survival and development of ZTE, but will also cause damages to all partners of ZTE including a large number of U.S.
Jun 29, 2018
ZTE is nearly ready to install a new board of directors, a step required by the U.S. Department of Commerce if the company wants to end the ban on U.S.