NEC Officially Quits Smartphone Business
NEC today confirmed that it will exit the smartphone business. NEC had hoped to sell its smartphone business to Lenovo, but talks between the two companies broke down without a deal earlier this month. NEC said that it will cease the development, production, and sales of smartphones immediately, though it will continue to provide support for existing models. NEC will also continue to operate its cell phone business, which it runs with Casio and Hitachi. "We were late to enter the smartphone market, and we were unable to develop attractive products," said Chief Financial Officer Isamu Kawashima. "That's what it comes down to." NEC recently released the Terrain with AT&T in the U.S.
Feb 25, 2018
All four major carriers in the U.S. plan to sell the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ beginning in March.
Nov 7, 2018
Apple is not in settlement talks with Qualcomm "at any level" and is preparing to go to trial against the chipmaker over patent fees. Apple sued Qualcomm in 2017 over what it described as illegal patent licensing practices.
Apr 16, 2019
Intel has confirmed that it has cancelled its 5G modem project intended for phones such as a future iPhone, and will focus its modem business instead on products for devices other than phones, according to the Wall Street Journal. Apple currently uses both Intel and Qualcomm modems in its iPhones.
Mar 23, 2018
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai today said will take action to ensure the U.S. telecommunications supply chain is protected from potential threats.